Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by 5mn_major View Post
    that's the point. Imo getting roberts out a bush nomination is a marginal victory.
    wrong.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I recommended this from the start. Gorsuch is Scalia II but elections have consequences and the GOP has every right to put him on the Court. They are going to get away with the stolen seat, and they've set a terrible precedent, but that isn't on Gorsuch and, more to the point, there's nothing we can do to stop them.

It means our next Dem nominee will have to be significantly farther left and more activist to counter him, of course.

The GOP has weaponized the Supreme Court. It only remains to see how that will play out. It's entirely possible they will rue the day they pis-sed on Obama's olive branch.
      I dont think he is Scalia II at all. Nothing I have seen or read has lead me to believe he hates people the way Scalia did. If Gorsuch was Scalia II he would not be ripping Donald for his actions with the Federal Judge he would be attacking the Judge.

Gorsuch is more than qualified for the job and is about as highly respected in the field as it gets. From all accounts he doesnt let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement he acts on what is written and whether it holds up to the strict scrutiny of the Constitution. He isnt going to be the guy to vote down Roe v. Wade because it was passed legally and doesnt violate any specific law.

I would prefer a liberal on the Court but Gorsuch isnt that big of a difference from Merrick Garland...in fact arent they buddies?
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The way Trump likes to surround himself with family I'm surprised Gorsuch beat out ... her.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          The way Trump likes to surround himself with family I'm surprised Gorsuch beat out ... her.
          She turned her back on the Trump family by changing her name when she got married. She's fired.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            She turned her back on the Trump family by changing her name when she got married. She's fired.
            She also appears to have brains and integrity, each of which would muddy the brand.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I dont think he is Scalia II at all. Nothing I have seen or read has lead me to believe he hates people the way Scalia did. If Gorsuch was Scalia II he would not be ripping Donald for his actions with the Federal Judge he would be attacking the Judge.

Gorsuch is more than qualified for the job and is about as highly respected in the field as it gets. From all accounts he doesnt let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement he acts on what is written and whether it holds up to the strict scrutiny of the Constitution. He isnt going to be the guy to vote down Roe v. Wade because it was passed legally and doesnt violate any specific law.

I would prefer a liberal on the Court but Gorsuch isnt that big of a difference from Merrick Garland...in fact arent they buddies?
              Scalia didn't hate people, he just had that ability to compartmentalize his decisions and their consequences for human beings. I honestly think he'd agree with that statement. It's like Werner von Braun -- "once ze rockets go up who cares vere they come down? That's not my department!" I think it's a Jesuit thing. Except IINM Thomas was educated by hard core Jesuits and oddly enough he really tries to temper his decisions with what he regards as mercy for human beings. So, for example, Thomas hears the cries of the unborn when he talks about overturning Roe. Scalia just sees red that somebody had the temerity to infer a right to privacy when those words do not specifically appear in the US Constitution.

I don't believe RBG would have cared as much as she did for Nino if he had "hated people." Scalia is a cautionary tale of what happens when you use the letter of the law to harm real human beings in the name of the Greater Good. Anybody with any technical imagination can understand what he was reaching for, but god what a record of pain and sorrow he bequeathed anybody who didn't march right on his fine little line.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Ginsburg and Scalia were buddies. That doesn't mean their judicial philosophies were the same.

Comment

Scalia didn't hate people, he just had that ability to compartmentalize his decisions and their consequences for human beings. I honestly think he'd agree with that statement. It's like Werner von Braun -- "once ze rockets go up who cares vere they come down? That's not my department!" I think it's a Jesuit thing. Except IINM Thomas was educated by hard core Jesuits and oddly enough he really tries to temper his decisions with what he regards as mercy for human beings. So, for example, Thomas hears the cries of the unborn when he talks about overturning Roe. Scalia just sees red that somebody had the temerity to infer a right to privacy when those words do not specifically appear in the US Constitution.

I don't believe RBG would have cared as much as she did for Nino if he had "hated people." Scalia is a cautionary tale of what happens when you use the letter of the law to harm real human beings in the name of the Greater Good. Anybody with any technical imagination can understand what he was reaching for, but god what a record of pain and sorrow he bequeathed anybody who didn't march right on his fine little line.
                  A+ post
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Ginsburg and Scalia were buddies. That doesn't mean their judicial philosophies were the same.
                    Yeah and that doesnt prove that Gorsuch is a Scalia clone either. I doubt if Kepler has read up enough on him to make that comparison he is letting his bias take the wheel.

And sorry Kep but the last 10 years or so Scalia definitely hated people. He may have liked RBG but there were also Nazi's that liked some Jews. The man was scum...he didnt start out that way but by the end he was as much a troll as our current President is.

edit: Yes I admit I am completely biased against the Goblin because I used to respect him and his opinions but then he got older and became everyone's annoying drunk uncle at Thanksgiving
                    Last edited by Handyman; 02-09-2017, 11:03 PM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So how is Gorsuch Scalia II? Sounds like something you read on Daily Kos...
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

"The Judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our confederated fabric." --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          So how is Gorsuch Scalia II? Sounds like something you read on Daily Kos...
                          Gorsuch is Scalia II strictly by measure of his decisions.

BTW, Kos would never admit Scalia didn't hate people. In Kos' world, if you disagree you're a demon. It's Townhall for smarter people.
                          Cornell University

Comment

37 characterizes the 9th ruling succinctly.
                            Cornell University

Comment

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...t_weapons.html

I'm surprised this wasn't posted already. Appeals court rules assault weapons are not protected under the 2nd Amendment.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They're goin' home... THEY'RE GOIN' HOME!!! http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2985153

Must say, though, the paraphrase of Clarence Thomas's statements is spot on, and shows how partisan the country really is, even in the courts.

Comment

Working...
                                X