Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    What does this do to the handgun Heller ruling? Nothing?
    The only things were Maryland's Assault Weapon Ban and open carry prohibition in Florida. They're left intact.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

How the hell did an open carry ban sneak through the Flori-derp legislature/voters?

Comment

Interesting to note how much of the coverage of the Colorado baker's case gets the basic facts wrong:
        - the baker offered to sell the same-sex couple any cake in the store.
        - the couple refused that offer
        - the case is solely about the baker declining to make a customized cake specifically for them
        - the baker also refuses to make customized cakes for a variety of other people and other situations (none for Halloween, none with obscene language, none with swastikas...)
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Clearly, this movie really should have been made.

Comment

Here's my biggest questions about the cake case:
            If a business is allowed to tell a gay person they aren't going to sell to them, wouldn't that have major implications for Title IX and employment as well?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              Interesting to note how much of the coverage of the Colorado baker's case gets the basic facts wrong:
              - the case is solely about the baker declining to make a customized cake specifically for them
              - the baker also refuses to make customized cakes for a variety of other people and other situations (none for Halloween, none with obscene language, none with swastikas...)
              Could he have given them a quote with a high price? I don't think the government should be telling businesses they are forced to do certain custom work. That isn't a good precedent.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Could he have given them a quote with a high price? I don't think the government should be telling businesses they are forced to do certain custom work. That isn't a good precedent.
                Yeah, but that's just de facto discrimination
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  This is where I break with the left. I don't have a problem with these people refusing business. As long as the business they're refusing is clearly identified on a brochure, or Facebook page, or somewhere so all of us can just laugh at them.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Small companies, where prices are not published, will often quote high prices to dissuade certain potential clients. However, if that potential client takes the quoted price, then the business must take the job or land in deep doo-doo.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      This is where I break with the left. I don't have a problem with these people refusing business. As long as the business they're refusing is clearly identified on a brochure, or Facebook page, or somewhere so all of us can just laugh at them.
                      Should a business be allowed to discriminate against black people?
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        No, and that's the fallacy in the argument. I'm not saying what was done here isn't wrong or against the law. I just don't think it was worth it to go to court. The vast majority of businesses out there would have been happy to make them the cake they wanted and who wants to do business with these bigots anyway? Not me.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I'd like to see that on a brochure. It'd help me know which businesses to avoid because they're owned and operated by pond scum.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            He can't (legally) give them a quote with a higher price than he would a straight couple. That's also discrimination.

Here's the gist of it, would you be ok with him telling an interracial couple to take a hike because he believes miscegenation is a sin. If not, then this isn't ok either.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Depends on why.

If you are denying business because of who the person is, then it's discrimination. If you are denying business because of the content of what is being asked to be made, that's different.

Saying you will not provide business to bi-sexual couples is no different than denying business to minorities.

Saying you will not provide business because the cake has offensive content, well, that should be fine.

I don't see any justification of picking and choosing who to service based on who the person is.

BTW, saying that the baker offered a pre-made cake is not the same as the baker providing a custom cake. Not even close. That's part of separate and not equal.

Comment

BTW, if this case goes to the side of the baker, then it should be perfectly ok to ask if someone is an R or a gun holder to deny them business. I doubt that will go over well.

Comment

Working...
                                X