Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Potus radio said don't read too much into questions. At least one of the court experts said that.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

I think they secretly like to shred lawyers like a college hockey student section would the penalty box.

Except Thomas, obviously
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Potus radio said don't read too much into questions. At least one of the court experts said that.
        I have read it both ways. Kennedy is definitely tipping his hand though he wouldnt be throwing out the questions he is if he wasnt looking for a reason to apply the standard. Betting odds on his vote would lean heavy to the librul side.
        Last edited by Handyman; 10-05-2017, 11:48 PM.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          This isn't legislation from the bench, this is the bench telling the legislation that they are doing it wrong and do it again to satisfy the law as the court does.
          It would be "legislating from the bench" if the Court told them what the "solution" was. If they merely say, "go back and try again," that's one thing. If they say "here's how to go about it" that's entirely different.

There is a really intriguing legal conundrum here. Isn't it okay to gerrymander on the basis of race? Doesn't the Court say it is okay to produce "majority minority" districts? What next in that universe? is it thereby okay to gerrymander based on sexual orientation, or gender, or ethnic affiliation?

And if most people of the "minority" consistently vote only for one party, how is a (legal) gerrymander based on race different in outcome than a gerrymander based on political affiliation?

What makes the situation even more interesting is that Milwaukee's map has contiguous districts that aren't all that unusually shaped.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Isn't it okay to gerrymander on the basis of race?
            No. It's illegal to dilute minority votes to thwart them being given proper representation. You can't take an area that would naturally be majority minority and turn it into 3 different districts that elect white people because of southern racism err heritage.

But your concern trolling is noted.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
              No. It's illegal to dilute minority votes to thwart them being given proper representation.
              There is no doubt that you knew that I was asking the opposite question, and pretended not to. How much Pepto must you take each day to manage your dyspepsia?

By "gerrymander on the basis of race" in the context of "majority minority" districting, it was abundantly clear that I obviously meant that it is legal gerrymandering to concentrate minority voters in a single district to make sure that they are represented.

So, it is legal to gerrymander to make sure enough minorities are placed in a district to make them a majority in that district, even if "coincidentally" they all happen to vote for one party over the other every single time in the last 50 years, yet it is not legal to make sure there are enough of any other kind of person in a district. That seems a bit inconsistent. I'm sure there is a special exception of one sort or another.....
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                There is no doubt that you knew that I was asking the opposite question, and pretended not to. How much Pepto must you take each day to manage your dyspepsia?

By "gerrymander on the basis of race" in the context of "majority minority" districting, it was abundantly clear that I obviously meant that it is legal gerrymandering to concentrate minority voters in a single district to make sure that they are represented.

So, it is legal to gerrymander to make sure enough minorities are placed in a district to make them a majority in that district, even if "coincidentally" they all happen to vote for one party over the other every single time in the last 50 years, yet it is not legal to make sure there are enough of any other kind of person in a district. That seems a bit inconsistent. I'm sure there is a special exception of one sort or another.....
                Forget it, FF. Argue religion or politics with uno if you wish, but not law. Nobody here wants to witness a beheading.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Forget it, FF. Argue religion or politics with uno if you wish, but not law. Nobody here wants to witness a beheading.
                  It's been awhile so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    It's been awhile so why not?
                    You're so dark.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      I, for one, enjoy it when uno ruins everyone's hypothetical legal fun.

Knowing he used to vote Republican, and isn't a complete libtard, makes it all the sweeter.

Comment

Outside of Washington, DC is a monument erected by the city of Bladensburg, MD to their WW I dead in the shape of a large granite cross. The location is known as Peace Cross and has been since the monument went up. It is a DC landmark.

As you can guess, some organization, the American Humanist Society in this case, was offended and sued. The District Court agreed. The American Legion who now "owns" the cross is thinking of appealing to SCOUTS.

If the cross must come down, does every cross and star on every grave in every military cemetery have to come down too??
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Outside of Washington, DC is a monument erected by the city of Bladensburg, MD to their WW I dead in the shape of a large granite cross. The location is known as Peace Cross and has been since the monument went up. It is a DC landmark.

As you can guess, some organization, the American Humanist Society in this case, was offended and sued. The District Court agreed. The American Legion who now "owns" the cross is thinking of appealing to SCOUTS.

If the cross must come down, does every cross and star on every grave in every military cemetery have to come down too??
                          One should note the WHY it was told to come down. It's a cross.

The only group of people that use a cross as representation is christianity. So the monument, which is supposed to honor the WWI dead, is a big display of christianity. Which is illegal for any US government entity to do.

Funny to honor just ONE religion of the people who fought and died in WWI, IMHO.

Take the cross down, replace it with something that does not represent a religion, and everyone will be fine.

This isn't about honoring WWI dead, it's about honoring only one religion's dead based on the monument. So a simple solution would be to take the two arms off and just make it an obelisk. Done.

It's also amusing to see that republicans can be so offended so quickly over constitutional items. Oh, wait, this is to violate it instead of forcing guns to not violate it.

Either defend the WHOLE constitution or not. Can't pick and choose the parts you like.
                          Last edited by alfablue; 10-18-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Nice scare tactic...you know the difference between a cemetery and a monument right?

Mind you the monument should stay up (as long as the Humanists are allowed to have a monument too if they choose) but your snowflaking on this crap is weak.

Let me ask you something...what if it is proven a Jew fought in WWI out of Maryland and his family feels he was not properly represented by a Cross? Does that matter? Isnt it fun when you pose complete hypotheticals to try and put forth your agenda?!
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

This isn't about honoring WWI dead, it's about honoring only one religion's dead based on the monument. So a simple solution would be to take the two arms off and just make it an obelisk. Done.
                              How about the statue of a soldier...they could have done anything. They chose a cross for a reason. A reason joe completely backs mind you.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                No.

That was easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X