Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    In another case SCOTUS struck down a NC law prohibiting registered sex offenders from accessing social media sites.
    Which was the easiest call they've made all term. That was a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Which was the easiest call they've made all term. That was a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment.
      I suspect the SCOTUS is going to also side with sex offenders in the lawsuit over Minnesota's sex offender program:
      http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...urt/423234353/
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Fixed that for you. Nobody plays the "just asking questions with a strong hint of silent disapproval" act better than Fishy. I suggest leaving it to him.
        Now, now. Don't sell Joe short - he is a champ in this arena. The limerick I made up for him in that other thread:

There once was a poster named Joe
        Who pretended never to know.
        But the questions he asked
        Were transparent as glass -
        Supposition and innuen-do.

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Now, now. Don't sell Joe short - he is a champ in this arena. The limerick I made up for him in that other thread:

There once was a poster named Joe
          Who pretended never to know.
          But the questions he asked
          Were transparent as glass -
          Supposition and innuen-do.

As Cornell grads go, you don't hold a candle to Kepler. He may out vitriol you in certain matters, but at least you can follow and understand his opinions, even when we strongly disagree.

To simplify -

If 3 people can be called "parent" why can't they get married? It's coming, I'm giving it 10 years.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

It was plainly obvious what you were getting after. It's also plainly obvious that after 2 years, Obergefell still chaps your hide, and so you go after it with the tired slippery slope argument, "If same-sex marriages are OK, then why not polygamy?"

The state has a legitimate financial and legal interest in keeping polygamy illegal. Not so with same-sex marriages.

Please Joe, you don't have to hide your distaste for the decision. Just admit you don't find it natural, and/or the Bible says it's a sin, and that's how you try to live. It's perfectly fine (wrong, but fine).
            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              As Cornell grads go, you don't hold a candle to Kepler.
              Unfortunately for you, I'm complimented just being mentioned in the same sentence - thanks!

To simplify
              Not needed. My dead grandmother could see where you were heading with that one.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                LOL. Money is speech. Won't make any difference.
                Hard to believe this Court will deliver anything but the usual pro forma plute knob job, but hey... Kennedy does like to Go Big.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  If 3 people can be called "parent" why can't they get married? It's coming, I'm giving it 10 years.
                  It may be coming. But this is not a harbinger -- marriage and parenthood have never been identical, and their overlap waxes and wanes with hemlines.

Let me ask you something, though. Let's say there were several studies with impeccable methodology that cast serious doubt on the hypothesis that having 2 parents was better for children. The ideal number turned out to be, let's say, odd to prevent deadlocks.

Honestly, would you consider re-evaluating your position?
                  Last edited by Kepler; 06-19-2017, 09:00 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I suspect the SCOTUS is going to also side with sex offenders in the lawsuit over Minnesota's sex offender program:
                    http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...urt/423234353/
                    Good that program is wrong. The intention is good but the State doesnt get to lock you up for the same crime twice and that is exactly what that program does.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      It may be coming. But this is not a harbinger -- marriage and parenthood have never been identical, and their overlap waxes and wanes with hemlines.

Let me ask you something, though. Let's say there were several studies with impeccable methodology that cast serious doubt on the hypothesis that having 2 parents was better for children. The ideal number turned out to be, let's say, odd to prevent deadlocks.

Honestly, would you consider re-evaluating your position?
                      What does The Bible and its sequel Jesus Boogaloo say on the matter? That is what joe is gonna answer...
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Good that program is wrong. The intention is good but the State doesnt get to lock you up for the same crime twice and that is exactly what that program does.
                        Yep. Couldn't agree more.

What's worse though is the second lockup has an indefinite hold as well. It's awful.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There was a 4-2 ruling today that federal government officials cannot be sued personally for administrative actions taken immediately after 9-11 to inordinately detain Arabs on legitimate lesser charges while they were being investigated for more serious charges.

Sotomayor and Kagan both recused themselves as they had been involved in some of the original cases, and the case was heard before Gorsuch was seated.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            There was a 4-2 ruling today that federal government officials cannot be sued personally for administrative actions taken immediately after 9-11 to inordinately detain Arabs on legitimate lesser charges while they were being investigated for more serious charges.

Sotomayor and Kagan both recused themselves as they had been involved in some of the original cases, and the case was heard before Gorsuch was seated.
                            Interesting. I would have thought that you couldn't sue federal government officials personally for administrative actions in any event, as long as they followed USG policy. Seems odd to me that the case even went forward, so I must be missing something important.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Interesting. I would have thought that you couldn't sue federal government officials personally for administrative actions in any event, as long as they followed USG policy. Seems odd to me that the case even went forward, so I must be missing something important.
                              What you're missing is that the officials were sued in their official capacity, so the plaintiffs were essentially suing the USG.

The court essentially said "you should've brought a habeas petition to get free sooner, but you can't sue for money even if your detention was unlawful"

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                What you're missing is that the officials were sued in their official capacity, so the plaintiffs were essentially suing the USG.

The court essentially said "you should've brought a habeas petition to get free sooner, but you can't sue for money even if your detention was unlawful"
                                OK, so they weren't being sued personally, they were placeholders for a suit against the USG. That makes sense.

I never quite understand how and when political entities can be sued. Certainly you can sue claiming your rights have been abridged, but you can't sue if, say, Congress bans asbestos and you own Asbestos Kwik-E-Mart, right?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X