Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    (I hate to go here, but) The lack of personhood in a fetus is equally as shocking.
    That's a religious argument (which many of us do not share), not a legal one.

But yes, the larger point is that these things are determined at the ground level by politics. Literally nothing is forever; nothing descends from an angry man in the clouds, everything can be changed by political processes given the right circumstances. And that is why I don't trust your side right now to get anything like the power to change in one swipe the fundamentals of the government. That would be a disaster akin to Germany winning WW2. A Germany with nukes.

Your side is amusing out of power. To the extent it gets power it becomes a threat. With a convention that threat would be maximized. We're not off this planet yet so that can simply not be permitted.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

The Court a long time ago ruled on the personhood of a corporation.
      They did so in error.

(I hate to go here, but) The lack of personhood in a fetus is equally as shocking.
      Don't lie Joe, the Lord hates that. You love going there, otherwise you'd recognize the futility of pressing the argument.
      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-26-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        If you think it's fair for a woman to be forced to carry a child to term against her will, you should be willing to force the father to donate bone marrow, a kidney, blood, or anything else that won't kill him after the kid's birth.

Funny how the life only matters when it's only one sex impacted and even then only til a breath is taken.

Comment

7th Circuit Court of Appeals rules that a 17 year old transgender boy has right to use boy's bathroom.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...ampaign=buffer

What are the odds this goes to SCOTUS next?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Isn't a transgender boy a male that identifies as female? If so I'm confused why this required a court ruling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Isn't a transgender boy a male that identifies as female? If so I'm confused why this required a court ruling.
              Other way around. If someone is an [xxx] boy, then that is who he is, present tense.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                trans boy: girl identifying as a boy
                trans girl: boy identifyiog as a girl
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    7th Circuit Court of Appeals rules that a 17 year old transgender boy has right to use boy's bathroom.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...ampaign=buffer

What are the odds this goes to SCOTUS next?
                    It may. Though I would prefer the states solving this legislatively. Secondary school and youth sports will be the 2nd most public "battleground".
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It may. Though I would prefer the states solving this legislatively. Secondary school and youth sports will be the 2nd most public "battleground".
                      If it's an equal protection issue that requires clarification, the SCOTUS should hear it. In the 60s, the south wanted voting rights to be determined by the states too, and that is why the Court's counter-majoritarian role is so important on such issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                        If it's an equal protection issue that requires clarification, the SCOTUS should hear it. In the 60s, the south wanted voting rights to be determined by the states too, and that is why the Court's counter-majoritarian role is so important on such issues.
                        I guess SCOTUS then will tell us if gender identity is a protected class under the 14th Amendment?6
                        Last edited by joecct; 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I guess SCOTUS then will tell us if sexual identity is a protected class under the 14th Amendment?
                          I'd like to see orientation and gender identity become protected.

But I will tell you this: gender identity is not inherently sexual.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            trans boy: girl identifying as a boy
                            trans girl: boy identifyiog as a girl
                            < uuuuunkkk > <--- that was supposed to be the game show "failure" sound
                            Wrong.

Trans boy: FEMALE identifying as a boy
                            Trans girls: MALE identifying as a girl

Male/Female identify the biologic "plumbing".

Boy/Girl are something else. <-- intentionally ducking that
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I guess SCOTUS then will tell us if gender identity is a protected class under the 14th Amendment?6
                              I think uno will confirm that it's not that simple in equal protection cases. There are three different tests based upon the classes created or affected by the state action. Some class treatments have a very low threshold to clear in order to pass constitutional muster.

Comment

"Yes" would be a fine answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X