Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Don't forget. All reports had him closer to Thomas than Scalia.
    Yes I know and I have no evidence to back it up but he doesnt strike me as the type that would go for the law as written. He may be in bed with Big Business but he doesnt seem like he is on the side of restricting people's right to vote based on their color/socio-economic class. (nor do I think Roberts would either)

I dont think the SC will ever touch a case like that for a ton of reasons.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Yes I know and I have no evidence to back it up but he doesnt strike me as the type that would go for the law as written. He may be in bed with Big Business but he doesnt seem like he is on the side of restricting people's right to vote based on their color/socio-economic class. (nor do I think Roberts would either)

I dont think the SC will ever touch a case like that for a ton of reasons.
      Roberts wrote the decision gutting the Voting Rights Act, leading to one of Ginsburg's best lines ever about closing an umbrella in the rain because you're dry and therefore it must not be needed.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

That is right...I completely forgot that.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That is a great line.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think you put those in the wrong thread...
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I think you put those in the wrong thread...
              Put what?

Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

SCOTUS will not hear North Carolina's Voter ID appeal.

Protections against disenfranchisement from election hacking remain.

Comment

SCOTUS also strikes down 2 congressional districts in racial gerrymandering case.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...h-caroli?sc=tw
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    SCOTUS also strikes down 2 congressional districts in racial gerrymandering case.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...h-caroli?sc=tw
                    Maryland still stands.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Deciding vote was....Clarence Thomas???

Good for them. Gerrymandering unfortunately has to be curbed and if that costs Dems a few seats in Illinois or Mass or wherever so be it (CA is an independent commission I believe). Next big case is the Wisconsin one.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Deciding vote was....Clarence Thomas???
                        He's done that on at least one other race issue. Conservatives do seem to be theoretically capable of empathy as long as they are sufficiently like the injured party. c.f. Sandra Dee saves Roe.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Maryland still stands.
                          Isn't that because Maryland is gerrymandered by partisanship and not along racial boundaries? Or is it more that Maryland didn't make changes? I have no idea since I didn't really follow gerrymandering new until the last year or two.
                          Code:
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Isn't that because Maryland is gerrymandered by partisanship and not along racial boundaries?
                            Yes, the Court doesn't want to become a political arbitrator. But partisan gerrymandering like MD is also destructive of democracy and we need a way to ban it too.
                            Cornell University

Comment

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...stricting.html

Interesting write up of the racial gerrymandering case and what it tells us about a potential decision in the political gerrymandering case. It focuses on Kennedy joining Alito's dissent in full, which seemed to point to a defeat for those hoping to end partisan gerrymandering.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...stricting.html

Interesting write up of the racial gerrymandering case and what it tells us about a potential decision in the political gerrymandering case. It focuses on Kennedy joining Alito's dissent in full, which seemed to point to a defeat for those hoping to end partisan gerrymandering.
                                My understanding with Kennedy is that he needs a quantifiable way to determine unlawful redistricting for partisan purposes. That's the Wisconsin case which focuses on the concept of wasted voters. That particular case was brought up with him in mind. In the meantime he'll continue to be a wildcard - voting with the minority in this case but once again being the deciding vote to preserve the legality of independent commissions drawing the lines instead of the legislature.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X