Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    The other thing to think about is this. At least as far as my memory goes, if a justice turns out to be not quite what we thought of him or her as a nominee, it is almost always because they are less conservative than thought/hoped. I'd have a hard time thinking of a justice who turned out to be more conservative than anticipated. We haven't seen Ginsberg or Breyer or Kagan, etc..., turn into Alito once they got on the bench. But we have see occasions where someone thought to be quite conservative actually became a pretty solid progressive voice on the Supremes.
    Gee, I wonder why that could be?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

This is actually pretty cool and very surprising to me:

He attended Harvard Law School, as well as Columbia and Oxford, and clerked for Justices Byron White and Anthony Kennedy of the Supreme Court. (White retired in 1993 and died in 2002.) It’s the sort of gleaming ivory C.V. that was largely absent from the rest of Trump’s shortlist. Academically, Gorsuch would fit right in: Every current justice attended law school at either Harvard or Yale. But if he’s confirmed, it would be the first time a justice and his former clerk sat together on the Supreme Court.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        You're really going to argue Kennedy is some sort of hard core conservative? Roberts is ultra conservative as well? I'll have what you're having.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideolo...s_1937-Now.png

According to this, Kennedy is a very moderate liberal, Roberts is an equally moderate conservative, everyone else is between 1-3 "points" (?) of their known leanings. Except Thomas. He's beyond help.

The court has been around 0-1 conservative since 1965. It has only recently tilted liberal, but that's only the median.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Gee, I wonder why that could be?
          One could argue that advancing age brings on senility, but I'm guessing that's not your point.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The other thing to think about is this. At least as far as my memory goes, if a justice turns out to be not quite what we thought of him or her as a nominee, it is almost always because they are less conservative than thought/hoped. I'd have a hard time thinking of a justice who turned out to be more conservative than anticipated. We haven't seen Ginsberg or Breyer or Kagan, etc..., turn into Alito once they got on the bench. But we have see occasions where someone thought to be quite conservative actually became a pretty solid progressive voice on the Supremes.
            This is true.
            https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...hey-get-older/

But I think scooby makes a good point. Why do they turn more liberal as they get older?
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              You're really going to argue Kennedy is some sort of hard core conservative? Roberts is ultra conservative as well? I'll have what you're having.
              Roberts is a traditional Republican, and Kennedy is center-right.

We haven't had a liberal majority on the court for two generations, and this election pretty much ensures a third.

Comment

True.

Comment

One could argue that advancing age brings on senility, but I'm guessing that's not your point.
                  Or compassion. Past regrets. Wisdom. You know, not being a cold and heartless conservative being their legacy. Things like that.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Roberts is a traditional Republican, and Kennedy is center-right.

We haven't had a liberal majority on the court for two generations, and this election pretty much ensures a third.
                    Not according to what dx posted.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Or compassion. Past regrets. Wisdom. You know, not being a cold and heartless conservative being their legacy. Things like that.
                      I think a more apt analogy would be to think of parents versus grandparents. It's not easy being the azzhole, but sometimes it's necessary for your own good, and that's the role of parents. Grandparents, on the other hand, are much more apt to spoil the kid, because, well frankly, they aren't going to have to live with the consequences that much longer.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Why do they turn more liberal as they get older?
                        Wisdom, Life experience. The appreciation that the people are the soul of the law, not bank balances and firearms.

I have moved from hardcore libertarian to liberal as I have read more deeply and broadly, met more and different people, gained loved ones, responsibilities, and just in general have been continually humbled by life.

As you age you move up Maslow's hierarchy, and naturally move left.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 02-01-2017, 09:36 AM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think a more apt analogy would be to think of parents versus grandparents. It's not easy being the azzhole, but sometimes it's necessary for your own good, and that's the role of parents.
                          Ah yes, the "I'm beating you for your own good" theory of child rearing. Beloved by conservatives everywhere. The pride of "brutal honesty."

A parent can set boundaries, instill values, and not be a martinet. In fact teaching your children (especially your sons) that the only way to be adult is to be a disciplinarian dipsh-t is a very bad lesson.

Looks good on you, though.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I think there are two very real questions that Senate Democrats have to ask themselves. One, how many bullets do they think they have, and two, how many bullets do they think they need.

Whoever replaces Scalia, it isn't likely to tilt the court more rightward than it already was. And even with a "conservative" majority on the court, progressives weren't exactly getting run over by decisions going against them. It was, at best for both sides, a mixed bag of results.

Let's say they go to the mat to defeat this guy. Can they do it again to the replacement nominee? Do they think they get a better replacement nominee? What is the effect on the mid-terms if there is a huge battle on this?

So assuming an all out war for this spot, now what happens when Kennedy or Ginsburg or someone goes down in a year or two? All appointments are important, but I'm not sure in the grand scheme that this one is more important than say Kennedy's replacement, or even more significant, Ginsburg's.

Unless the Dems want to gamble, as the Senate Republicans did, and hope that Trump just blows up and gets ousted in the next year or two.

Comment

It's more that as people age they gradually lose their conceits, and the pompous "You NEED me on that wall!" drag act of the Brave But Alone Conservative Who Watched Too Much John Wayne is the biggest, gaudiest, most snowflakey conceit of all.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 02-01-2017, 09:52 AM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

how many bullets do they think they have
                                That's simple. We have none, and we know it.

We can't just destroy the government because we believe in it. The Republicans can risk destroying the government because it's in the way of their paymasters. The only parts they need to keep are the parts that keep the ever-growing poor from their throats -- the cops and the army. Everything else is overhead.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X