Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, the head of the Department of Justice...
    Let's just be amazed he avoid using the word "uppity".

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Let's just be amazed he avoid using the word "uppity".
      I believe the term for Polynesians is "inscrutable."

"Hakita! That little Asian traitor."
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Ladies and gentlemen, the head of the Department of Justice...
        To be fair, this is the guy who said he didnt think ***** grabbing constituted sexual assault...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          To be fair, this is the guy who said he didnt think ***** grabbing constituted sexual assault...
          53% of white women didn't think so either.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

From what I've read, it looks like Trinity Lutheran v. Comer might wind up with a 7-2 majority striking it down. I'm guessing it will be a narrow ruling: if state funds are to be used for a purely secular purpose, the state cannot deny them to a religious entity merely because it is religious, if they are eligible to receive said funds in all other respects.

at the Supreme Court on Wednesday as the Justices heard arguments in a case about whether Missouri could bar a church from a playground-resurfacing program merely because it’s a church.... Discrimination against the church is a “clear burden on a constitutional right,” Justice Elena Kagan said, because “people of a certain religious status are being prevented from competing in the same way everybody else is for a neutral benefit.”

Columbia, Missouri-based Trinity Lutheran Church wanted to participate in a state program that reimburses groups or schools that want to resurface their playgrounds with rubber tire mulch to make them safer. Though the program is secular and serves a routine public purpose, the state ... claim[ed that] no public playground money could flow to a religious institution.

“There’s a constitutional principle. It’s as strong as any constitutional principle that there is,” Justice Kagan continued, “that when we have a program of funding—and here we’re funding playground surfaces—that everybody is entitled” to that funding “whether or not they are a religious institution doing religious things.”
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
              From what I've read, it looks like Trinity Lutheran v. Comer might wind up with a 7-2 majority striking it down. I'm guessing it will be a narrow ruling: if state funds are to be used for a purely secular purpose, the state cannot deny them to a religious entity merely because it is religious, if they are eligible to receive said funds in all other respects.
              I'm a godless heathen, and I don't see a problem with a church applying for and receiving a government grant to make their playground safer so long as the playground is open for community use. I don't even have a problem if a church applied for and received a grant to install energy efficient LED lighting, since as a society we benefit if we are all more energy efficient and burn less natural gas or coal to generate electricity.

doesn't seem to be "establishment" to me so long as all groups are eligible for said funds even the Muslims!!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Comment says it all.

Alabama Man Belittles Hawaii
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                  I'm a godless heathen, and I don't see a problem with a church applying for and receiving a government grant to make their playground safer so long as the playground is open for community use. I don't even have a problem if a church applied for and received a grant to install energy efficient LED lighting, since as a society we benefit if we are all more energy efficient and burn less natural gas or coal to generate electricity.

doesn't seem to be "establishment" to me so long as all groups are eligible for said funds even the Muslims!!
                  I guess the biggest issue I have is where do you begin to draw the line then?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    I guess the biggest issue I have is where do you begin to draw the line then?
                    I think the line becomes how public the use is. If it is church use only or contained within the church then no. If it is a park or playground open to the public...then yes.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm just not a fan. If it were a Scientology playground, I'd rather not have children exposed to Scientology making it seem more favorable at an age when kids are fairly impressionable.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I'm just not a fan. If it were a Scientology playground, I'd rather not have children exposed to Scientology making it seem more favorable at an age when kids are fairly impressionable.
                        Just have a mosque apply.

The end.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Probably right. Remember what happened with the mosque at "ground zero"?
                          Code:

Comment

Even the children of Scientologists have the right to safe playgrounds.

The public money is being given for safer playgrounds for kids. It is not in any way promoting any religion. Denying the money on the basis that it is a religious institution is unconstitutional.
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                              Even the children of Scientologists have the right to safe playgrounds.

The public money is being given for safer playgrounds for kids. It is not in any way promoting any religion. Denying the money on the basis that it is a religious institution is unconstitutional.
                              Replace church with Planned Parenthood. Somehow it's ok to deny them otherwise general use funds because they engage in a constitutionally protected activity.

Comment

That's actually a pretty good point.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X