Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    It might not matter then; it would likely depend on if Breyer or Ginsburg die and the fight actually occurs. But it definitely won't matter now. And a possibility of an effective use later is better than a completely wasted effort now.

If you only have one bullet, you don't shoot it at the bear on the other side of the river. You save it in case you run into one that could actually get you. If you wind up not firing it, oh well. It means the worse scenario never happened.
    Well, I guess my only reason to do it now is to make the GOP do the final nuking, but by my own argument we're in Thunder Dome now and there are no rules, and the crowd just wants blood, so I guess it just doesn't matter.

OK, I give.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      I get that the base is clamoring for this, but it's still the wrong call, IMO. This isn't the nominee that you force the nuclear option on.

Now when Ginsburg dies and they replace her with Cletus, you can't stop it.
      Agreed.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        I could be wrong but I personally think it would be more effective later. If they govern and let the GOP have their win they might have a lot more pull then if they do it now.
        I think you're right. You can come from a position of strength. "We allowed Gorsuch because he was qualified. We are opposing Senator Cruz's appointment because he's a zealot and minimally qualified as he's never even been a circuit judge.

The American people deserve better and the GOP will face our filibuster as we protect the citizens of this country from extreme right nominees who do not represent the beliefs of the American people as a whole."
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          opposing Senator Cruz's appointment
          First nominee rejected by acclamation?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think you're right. You can come from a position of strength. "We allowed Gorsuch because he was qualified. We are opposing Senator Cruz's appointment because he's a zealot and minimally qualified as he's never even been a circuit judge.
            It's only in recent history that it's become a pseudo-requirement that a SCOTUS nominee have previous experience as a judge. I don't have a list of resumes on hand, but a number of SCOTUS justices had law degrees, but no experience behind the bench.

To that end, you don't even need a law degree to become a MN State Supreme Court justice. Some 10-12 years ago, there was a woman on the ballot who only had paralegal experience. Had she won her election, the state would have had to allow her to serve.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              First nominee rejected by acclamation?
              I dunno. It gets him out of the Senate. He might get through.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                I dunno. It gets him out of the Senate. He might get through.
                Good point, though this is the better option.
                Cornell University

Comment

Mark me down on the side of filibustering Gorsuch as being dumb.

And that kids, is how I met your Supreme Court Justice, Jeff Sessions.

Maybe a few sensible Dems will just go over and vote for Gorsuch to avoid it, but that seems pretty unlikely in the climate.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Keeping in mind if everyone is just going to play extreme hardball all the time, R's could also pull Gorsuch, change the rules and put a real Grade A ******* on the court in two hours. And then perhaps another one just to say "How do you like them apples, Chuck?"
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Keeping in mind if everyone is just going to play extreme hardball all the time, R's could also pull Gorsuch, change the rules and put a real Grade A ******* on the court in two hours. And then perhaps another one just to say "How do you like them apples, Chuck?"
                      Heck, just put up 5 SCOTUS justices. Or 500. Not sure there's anything to stop them.
                      Cornell University

Comment

I dont think the Dems will really fight it...I think they are playing a bit of chicken.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          It's only in recent history that it's become a pseudo-requirement that a SCOTUS nominee have previous experience as a judge. I don't have a list of resumes on hand, but a number of SCOTUS justices had law degrees, but no experience behind the bench.

To that end, you don't even need a law degree to become a MN State Supreme Court justice. Some 10-12 years ago, there was a woman on the ballot who only had paralegal experience. Had she won her election, the state would have had to allow her to serve.
                          I get that. But it's still being pedantic and missing my point. Unless that was just a "The more you know" moment.
                          Code:

Comment

I get that. But it's still being pedantic and missing my point. Unless that was just a "The more you know" moment.
                            The latter, not the former.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Code:

Comment

As I understand it, aren't there two votes?

First, a vote for "cloture" (end debate)?

Then, a vote on the nominee?

If I'm a Manchin or a Heitkamp, I'm voting yes on the first and no on the second. "The country deserves a vote. That being said, I'll authorize a vote and then vote 'no'."
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X