Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

The Democrats have nothing to stand on. They followed the GOP's lead and saved the nomination till the election. Their best bet is to let this guy sail through and save the big fight for the next pyscho that comes up for confirmation. They do it now they're done.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      The Democrats have nothing to stand on. They followed the GOP's lead and saved the nomination till the election. Their best bet is to let this guy sail through and save the big fight for the next pyscho that comes up for confirmation. They do it now they're done.
      Yep, we're just exchanging one conservative for another. A kinder, gentler machine gun hand, if you will. Save the rage for when RBG goes.

Comment

Gorsuch refuses to say how he'd rule on hypothetical cases. Think I'd ask Gorsuch:

Here are 8 recent SCOTUS critical cases - which outcome do you agree with and which do you disagree with...and why?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

That's a sensible approach. I must have been used in the past to get a read on judicial philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Gorsuch refuses to say how he'd rule on hypothetical cases. Think I'd ask Gorsuch:

Here are 8 recent SCOTUS critical cases - which outcome do you agree with and which do you disagree with...and why?
            It it works I'm all for it. He's got to at least answer some questions.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Think so. Question is how much does he rule based on his personal political lens.

Graham has been in pretty insufferable monologue mode. I'm surprised that Gorsuch hasn't excused himself to go get a bite until after he's done.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

If I were Gorsuch I would say I didn't have the benefit of listening to the arguments or the chamber discussion with the other justices, and without that I don't feel comfortable answering.

Roberts proved that a nominee can just lie his way through the hearing. He gave that whole silly umpire answer and turns out he's the most activist CJ since Warren. You can't trust the nominees' statements at the hearing because they know the hearings are BS political theater and they aren't going to dignify them with any sort of a nuanced answer.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Gorsuch refuses to say how he'd rule on hypothetical cases.
                  IIRC, that is standard for every nominee since the mid 1960s.
                  -- hypothetical cases always omit some key "facts and circumstances" detail, that's why they are "hypothetical" in the first place,
                  -- you don't want to put yourself on record, have an actual case then come along, and have to recuse yourself because your answer to the hypothetical now precludes your ability to judge the case in front of you with fresh eyes and ears; you might be tempted to rule solely to be consistent with your prior answer.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    It is a bit surprising to me that they are trying to criticize a few Gorsuch decisions in which the overall vote was unanimous...

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Think I'd ask Gorsuch:

very nice tactic, I admire your clever thinking!

My guess is that he'd mumble something about stare decisis and move on without answering, though...

Comment

Watched a few minutes of Gorsuch. Anybody else notice he has a little bit of a Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington sort of thing going on? (Or I guess Jimmy Stewart in pretty much anything.)

Anyway, that can't hurt a guy.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          If I were Gorsuch I would say I didn't have the benefit of listening to the arguments or the chamber discussion with the other justices, and without that I don't feel comfortable answering.
                          'Fine. We are considering you for a life long position in one of the country's most important roles...we need to know something of your thought process in approaching these cases. Give us some of what you think of these cases and how you unpack them.'

'Unless you're telling us you really don't know much about high profile Supreme Court cases themselves, the legal foundation for court decisions at all levels.'
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Gorsuch is as good a nominee as the left can expect from Trump just as Garland was as good a nominee the right could expect from Obama.

Be ****ed that the GOP stole the seat, be even more ****ed that the electorate ratified the theft, but this isn't the time to force the nuclear option.

And Gorsuch will probably fall near Roberts on the overall ideological scale. Definitely right of Kennedy, but not nearly as far as Thomas or Alito.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Gorsuch is as good a nominee as the left can expect from Trump just as Garland was as good a nominee the right could expect from Obama.

Be ****ed that the GOP stole the seat, be even more ****ed that the electorate ratified the theft, but this isn't the time to force the nuclear option.

And Gorsuch will probably fall near Roberts on the overall ideological scale. Definitely right of Kennedy, but not nearly as far as Thomas or Alito.
                              Others won't, but I'll take another Roberts. We do have a Trump presidency here.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

'Fine. We are considering you for a life long position in one of the country's most important roles...we need to know something of your thought process in approaching these cases. Give us some of what you think of these cases and how you unpack them.'

'Unless you're telling us you really don't know much about high profile Supreme Court cases themselves, the legal foundation for court decisions at all levels.'
                                Oh, it's a valid question for us to ask of the nominee. But to the extent the question is specific they'll evade it, and to the extent it's general the nominee will answer with broad platitudes.

Better to just look at the actual opinions the judge has authored. Or, as a shortcut, look which party placed him in nomination. During the past decade plus that's been enough to tell you basically how the judge is going to vote. Scrutiny and partisanship is now so intense there will be "no more Souters."
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X