Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Unfortunately, you're misunderstanding the problem again.

This is not a religious issue. Do not blame Islam or Christianity for terror. This is a fanaticism issue. These people hate the US and the west in general - and its not because they believe in a God. If you don't understand the problem you cannot find a solution.
    My entire point in OP is that the religion is not the information, it's the carrier wave. I wish you would actually read what I write if you're going to take the trouble to respond to it. I genuinely appreciate the dialog, but in situations like this you have literally misread us as disagreeing when we are in agreement.

Here is the implied portion of my statement that you do disagree with: because an ideology is a good carrier wave to the extent that it is totalist, fundamentalist religion, well, more accurately literalist religion is an excellent carrier wave because it is totalist. Symbolic or metaphorical religion is less likely to be used to transmit a violent message because it does not present the believer with an all-or-nothing literalist choice. The part of the ideology that allows violence and extremism in its name is given gutter guards and moderation. It is tamed in the name of social utility -- the very opposite of the mission statement of a literalist faith.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2017, 08:18 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Equal Protection Under The Law
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        My entire point in OP is that the religion is not the information, it's the carrier wave. I wish you would actually read what I write if you're going to take the trouble to respond to it. I genuinely appreciate the dialog, but in situations like this you have literally misread us as disagreeing when we are in agreement.
        Not exactly...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Religious fanaticism has ranked among the most destructive rallying cries in human history. Although Islam is no more inherently violent than Christianity, it is foolish to deny that right now the worst violent ideological troublemaker in the world is violent Islamic fanaticism. They are going through a cuckoo fundamentalist shake out century, and we ought not to pretend that they are quiescent. In comparison, violent Christian fanaticism is currently relatively dormant. It could of course break out as an epidemic or even a pandemic if conditions are right. We need to keep an eye on that.
        It is that statement that is somewhere between misleading and wrong. Terror is due to individual fanaticism and not religion. A blanket Muslim country ban is in fact the wrong solution...and it comes from exactly the kind of mis interpretations you espouse.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Terror is due to individual fanaticism and not religion.
          No sh-t.

Sigh. The point is the religion is the megaphone, not the cheer. I do not think I can be any clearer. I may simply not be communicating what I am trying to. But what you are arguing with is once again NOT what I am writing.

We've had these basic disagreements before where you read what I write in a way entirely different from what I believe I have written, and certainly from what I mean. I am willing to give up and say for whatever magical mix of biography and synapses, you and I simply can't have a conversation if the word "Christian" appears in it even as an afterthought. One of us shuts their brain off when that word appears in a statement.
          Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2017, 09:10 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Commas are important.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/..._ReadMore_Pos2
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Not exactly...

It is that statement that is somewhere between misleading and wrong. Terror is due to individual fanaticism and not religion. A blanket Muslim country ban is in fact the wrong solution...and it comes from exactly the kind of mis interpretations you espouse.
              Try to remember this line of thinking the next time you disparage atheists and agnostics.

Comment

A blanket Muslim country ban is wrong, but that doesn't mean this brand of terrorism is not about religion. A bastardized, distorted interpretation of religion, but born of religion without question. You don't see anyone committing these acts on behalf of, "The republic of..", "the policy of...", or anything of its kind. They're being duped into believing Islam commands them to murder but they don't see it as such. It's not that simple all the way down nothing ever is, but let's not mis-label the source for fear of being politically incorrect or something even more pathetic - defensive about our own faith.

Comment

Reading the articles today about our nominees thoughts on women in the workplace is terrifying. Women have hard enough choices if they choose to try and procreate, without businesses trying to discriminate against them for the potential of having babies.

Comment

There's a brilliant line in this article about the hearings I had to share:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...l_gorsuch.html

And Sen. Ted Cruz, who is doubtless capable of hacking up a hairball of outrage over hangnails and the existence of Velcro, was affronted that a Democratic president had the temerity to even attempt to fill the chair vacated by Justice Antonin Scalia on an “activist Supreme Court” that is dominated by “unelected lawyers.”
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Reading the articles today about our nominees thoughts on women in the workplace is terrifying. Women have hard enough choices if they choose to try and procreate, without businesses trying to discriminate against them for the potential of having babies.
                      I have read that besides that one letter most of the other students didnt think it was that big of a deal and his former female clerks and employees said he never expressed anything like that in the workplace. I think that story is not what some in the media are making it out to be...

(for now anyways)

Here is That Side of the Story
                      Last edited by Handyman; 03-21-2017, 12:15 AM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I have read that besides that one letter most of the other students didnt think it was that big of a deal and his former female clerks and employees said he never expressed anything like that in the workplace. I think that story is not what some in the media are making it out to be...

(for now anyways)

That is good. Now I can concentrate on the other parts of him that I don't like

Comment

That's what she said.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

(for now anyways)

Nothing like a lame Borking attempt. If this is all they've got, he's going to sail through the hearings.

That said, Cruz is a spineless hypocrite and a turd sandwich rolled into one. All the indignation over Trump insulting his wife, and then he shook the guy's friggin' hand and they had dinner with him. Goes to show you what a marriage of convenience and money theirs is.

Comment

Which is why it is important not to waste time on stuff like this. It is not going to keep him from the job so find something that could.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Nothing like a lame Borking attempt. If this is all they've got, he's going to sail through the hearings.

That said, Cruz is a spineless hypocrite and a turd sandwich rolled into one. All the indignation over Trump insulting his wife, and then he shook the guy's friggin' hand and they had dinner with him. Goes to show you what a marriage of convenience and money theirs is.
                                Dont forget, Cruz's dad helped kill Kennedy according to the Liar in Chief!
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X