Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I wonder if Gorsuch might not say that if I found myself in a spot similar to the trucker's position, nearly out of gas, freezing -- it would be a reasonable decision on my part to take possession of your parked car to go and get help and save myself. But it probably wouldn't be a legal one as I guess I just stole your car.
    That's how I read it with my vast experience of only having heard about this case 5 minutes ago on this thread.

As to the guy himself, if I'm a trucking company I hire him immediately for the goodwill with both the public and the other truckers, who I have no doubt all have stories of the callousness and d-ckishness of hauling companies.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      His whole story was b.s., and apparently Gorsuch was the only one willing to see through it. The guy was cold, and he was tired of waiting.
      Artist's conception.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        That's how I read it with my vast experience of only having heard about this case 5 minutes ago on this thread.

As to the guy himself, if I'm a trucking company I hire him immediately for the goodwill with both the public and the other truckers, who I have no doubt all have stories of the callousness and d-ckishness of hauling companies.
        Trucking companies are very d-ckish, but there must be a reason for it other than just general d-ckishness. I have a brother-in-law who drives for a commercial company in Illinois, oddly enough, and he tells me they are extremely strict regarding the trailers and the loads that are in them. The trailer doors are sealed up using these metal ties. Once he's picked up his trailer, he's not allowed to just swing by his house on the way out of town and pick up something he forgot. They want you going from point A to point B, with no deviation, and be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, without exception.

He was in an accident once and there were company rules regarding what he could do until the company truck got there to pick up the load.

Personally, I don't know enough about the industry, but having now read about this guy in the Gorsuch case, it doesn't surprise me at all that's the approach the company took. I suspect other trucking companies may have taken a similar approach. I'm going to have to ask my brother-in-law about this case the next time I see him.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          As I see it, he only owns him partially. Just about the basic interpretation vs. absurd conditions.

What he doesn't point out is the way the law is written that there's an obvious gray area that isn't spelled out correctly. THAT is what I am asking- as a judge, you interpret the language of the law. If the law does not make sense, and how it's written vs. the intent conflicts need to be ironed out. This is an obvious place where Franken could have challenged him on that aspect, which is a HUGE portion of being on the SCOTUS.

It's not just about interpreting the law as written, it's interpreting the correctness of the law. That's is where Franken could have REALLY nailed him.
          If a law is badly written whose job is it to correct the flaws? The legislative branch or the judicial branch? Roberts and others seem to opine it is not the courts' job to bail out the legislature.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            Trucking companies are very d-ckish, but there must be a reason for it other than just general d-ckishness. I have a brother-in-law who drives for a commercial company in Illinois, oddly enough, and he tells me they are extremely strict regarding the trailers and the loads that are in them. The trailer doors are sealed up using these metal ties. Once he's picked up his trailer, he's not allowed to just swing by his house on the way out of town and pick up something he forgot. They want you going from point A to point B, with no deviation, and be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, without exception.

He was in an accident once and there were company rules regarding what he could do until the company truck got there to pick up the load.
            I understand the need for really tight rules. But I can also understand that when they adjudicated the guy's case they could easily have said, "We sympathize with the difficulty of our driver's situation -- our drivers have very difficult work and we respect their dedicatiblahblahblah... Therefore, our driver will do a refresher course on the importance of compliance with our processes, but we will also review our processes in order to improve conditions for our brave driveblahblahblah..."

My take on this is strongly influenced by my own anecdotal experience with drivers. The outfits seem to belong in the As-shole Hall of Fame, while the drivers I have met have been very good characters, constantly getting jammed by the company's Harvard MBA executives, and of course voting straight ticket Republican and so just f-cking themselves over because CULTURE WARS!!!!

I'm going to have to ask my brother-in-law about this case the next time I see him.
            That would be awesome. I'd like to know whether "word on the street" for the drivers is "take this job and shove it" or "that guy deserved what he got."
            Last edited by Kepler; 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM.
            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              If a law is badly written whose job is it to correct the flaws? The legislative branch or the judicial branch? Roberts and others seem to opine it is not the courts' job to bail out the legislature.
              So if a law is bad, and not just, the courts can just undo them. Many laws have been over turned.

But if a law is bad, not just, and undoing them makes them less just, courts have no ability to do anything?

SCOTUS has 100% ability to undo bad laws if the solution is just saying the law is not Constitutional, give the rights back. There's a ton of history on that.

But what about situations like this- where the law is bad, but no law is worse? Just live with it?

Theoretically, by forcing the driver to make a choice between life and getting fired and death by following orders (hypothetically- I get Hovey's point that we are not sure), the law does not cover the choice he made, and therefore it's ok to be punished for him exercising is right to choose life. There is a component of the Constitution there.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Theoretically, by forcing the driver to make a choice between life and getting fired and death by following orders
                OSHA law does.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

SCOTUS overturns a Gorsuch ruling 8-0 today. Gorsuch apparently isn't a fan of disabled children's rights.
                  https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...5-827_0pm1.pdf

Comment

And I would opine that they are full of it. If we went by those standards the Civil Rights movement probably never happens. If the Leg is making stupid laws and wont fix them the Judicial has every right to fix them.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      And I would opine that they are full of it. If we went by those standards the Civil Rights movement probably never happens. If the Leg is making stupid laws and wont fix them the Judicial has every right to fix them.
                      I'm not talking about an unconstitutional law, but a flawed law that is so badly written it has unintended consequences.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        I understand the need for really tight rules. But I can also understand that when they adjudicated the guy's case they could easily have said, "We sympathize with the difficulty of our driver's situation -- our drivers have very difficult work and we respect their dedicatiblahblahblah... Therefore, our driver will do a refresher course on the importance of compliance with our processes, but we will also review our processes in order to improve conditions for our brave driveblahblahblah..."

My take on this is strongly influenced by my own anecdotal experience with drivers. The outfits seem to belong in the As-shole Hall of Fame, while the drivers I have met have been very good characters, constantly getting jammed by the company's Harvard MBA executives, and of course voting straight ticket Republican and so just f-cking themselves over because CULTURE WARS!!!!

That would be awesome. I'd like to know whether "word on the street" for the drivers is "take this job and shove it" or "that guy deserved what he got."
                        I work for a trucking company...trust me the drivers are just as jackwagony...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm not talking about an unconstitutional law, but a flawed law that is so badly written it has unintended consequences.
                          If that flawed law leads to people being put in harms way it is unconstitutional.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            If that flawed law leads to people being put in harms way it is unconstitutional.
                            How? A Section / Amendment of the Constitution has to be violated for a law to be unconstitutional.

Stupidity is not unconstitutional.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

How? A Section / Amendment of the Constitution has to be violated for a law to be unconstitutional.

Stupidity is not unconstitutional.
                              Is there a part of the constitution that is used to outlaw murder? Aka, a right to be living? Or a right to not harm oneself?
                              (I don't know that part)

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                Is there a part of the constitution that is used to outlaw murder? Aka, a right to be living? Or a right to not harm oneself?
                                (I don't know that part)
                                Nope, except as it relates to the government doing the killing. 5th amendment says you can't be deprived of life, liberty, or property by the government without due process. The corollary is that you can be deprived of those things with due process.

Criminal law is almost always left up to the states. Murder is only a federal crime under certain circumstances, because the federal government doesn't have general police powers.

A general principle to remember is that, with some exceptions, the Constitution applies solely to governments and says what they must, can, and cannot do. It very rarely applies to private individuals.

Gay marriage is legal because the 14th amendment prohibits the government from discriminating when issuing marriage licenses. A private business firing someone who is gay is still legal in many states because they haven't chosen to make such actions illegal.
                                Last edited by unofan; 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X