Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    More kids in happy families.

I mean, seriously, I don't see a parade of horribles from this. It's just a more formalized version of an open adoption, where the birth parents still see their kid.
    Yep. No objection but if he marries both of them, the system will take the kid away and throw the parents in jail!!!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      The logical conclusion of more rulings like this is??

http://wtop.com/parenting/2017/06/mo...ts-of-1-child/
      Highly lucrative media poutrage.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Yep. No objection but if he marries both of them, the system will take the kid away and throw the parents in jail!!!

Fixed that for you. Nobody plays the "just asking questions with a strong hint of silent disapproval" act better than Fishy. I suggest leaving it to him.

Comment

The logical conclusion of more rulings like this is??

http://wtop.com/parenting/2017/06/mo...ts-of-1-child/
          How is this different than a child with divorced parents and a step-mom? This merely legalizes the step-mothers right/ability to act on behalf of the child's welfare.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

No. We can't have 3 people lovingly raising a child. That's just absurd.
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Supreme Court is going to take up political redistricting
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                LOL. Money is speech. Won't make any difference.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  As much as I want Maryland to be redistricted, this is a function of the legislature, not the courts.

If we don't like how the Dems have divided Maryland, we need to vote more Republicans in, or at least get rid of the Senate President Mike Miller who holds all the political power in the state.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

As much as I want Maryland to be redistricted, this is a function of the legislature, not the courts.

If we don't like how the Dems have divided Maryland, we need to vote more Republicans in, or at least get rid of the Senate President Mike Miller who holds all the political power in the state.
                    As with EVERYTHING that is up to the legislative branch, the courts can tell them they went too far.

Courts are not going to make up the lines, they will tell the legislative guys to do it again, within the bounds of the US and state Constitutions.

Can we stop this "legislation from the bench" BS? There HAS to be bounds on what can be done, and that's the WHOLE POINT of the higher court system. Remember check's and balances are 3 branches in balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

If blacks don't like the poll tax, they just need to vote for more representatives that oppose the poll tax.

Comment

I don't remember why, but I had occasion to look at Maryland's congressional districts recently and I have to say it is quite an impressive piece of work. Which isn't to say there aren't tons of heavily gerrymandered others, but it does sort of stand out as a particularly spectacular example.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2de_story.html

SCOTUS rules that rejecting trademarks that disparage others violates the First Amendment.

I think they got this right.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2de_story.html

SCOTUS rules that rejecting trademarks that disparage others violates the First Amendment.

I think they got this right.
                            Guess that means the Redskins can get their trademark back.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              As with EVERYTHING that is up to the legislative branch, the courts can tell them they went too far.

Courts are not going to make up the lines, they will tell the legislative guys to do it again, within the bounds of the US and state Constitutions.

Can we stop this "legislation from the bench" BS? There HAS to be bounds on what can be done, and that's the WHOLE POINT of the higher court system. Remember check's and balances are 3 branches in balance.
                              Ahhh, but is it the responsibility of the court to inject itself into partisan politics? The only "right" I have lost is having a reasonable expectation that a GOP candidate running in MD 8th will win. Is that a right guaranteed in the Constitution?

In another case SCOTUS struck down a NC law prohibiting registered sex offenders from accessing social media sites.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ahhh, but is it the responsibility of the court to inject itself into partisan politics? The only "right" I have lost is having a reasonable expectation that a GOP candidate running in MD 8th will win. Is that a right guaranteed in the Constitution?
                                If the actions violates someone right's, of course it is. Does not matter one side or the other. Can't bias the gerrymandering based on race- we've been through that before. SCOTUS has ruled that gerrymandering based on party is somewhat ok. But not race.

It will be interesting to hear the SCOTUS's opinion on who and what rights were violated. I don't exactly buy yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X