Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Just made it tougher to sue your employer.
    Thank god. I was worried that employers didn’t have enough leverage.
    Was this an arbitration thing? Not surprised, then, cause they've been interpreting that statute in a pro corporate way forever. The way to change that is have Congress change the law (I know, good luck with that).

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      How would that impact lawsuits filed prior to the ruling handed down on whichever court case you're referencing?
      Not sure this is all I’ve seen

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/388601-supreme-court-upholds-agreements-that-prevent-employee-class-action

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

If two laws are in conflict, have Congress fix it via legislation.

(for sale, one bridge).
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          If two laws are in conflict, have Congress fix it via legislation.

(for sale, one bridge).
          And in the meantime...what? Just live with the potential catch 22?

And who determines if they're in conflict if not the courts?

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Jobs over people. We are always told to vote that way. Now it's at the SCOTUS. That's a brick down from the wall.
            If only there was SOME way we could have avoided all this....
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
              And in the meantime...what? Just live with the potential catch 22?

And who determines if they're in conflict if not the courts?
              SCOTUS ruled in favor of arbitration law over union law (NLRA?). Congress can fix that.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                SCOTUS ruled in favor of arbitration law over union law (NLRA?). Congress can fix that.
                But your original statement implied SCOTUS shouldn't have chosen one.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  But your original statement implied SCOTUS shouldn't have chosen one.
                  No. They chose A over B. If Congress and the people don't like it, fix the conflict via legislation.

However, inertia is the major party in the Congress.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    This has much more to do with individual employment contracts people sign as a condition of a job offer than it does collective bargaining agreements between organized workers and their employer. Depending on the specific language in a collective bargaining agreement this may have little impact on the average unionized employee.

The eventual decision in the Janus vs. AFSCME case potentially will have a much greater impact on unions all across the country. More and more unions represent public sector employees and when the latest attack on unions plays out in the upcoming decision (if it goes as bad as most union leaders fear it will) their ability to effectively represent their members will be impacted dramatically. It's important we lessen the ability of labor unions to effectively represent their members because back in the 1960s wages were starting to get too high.

Comment

Court gets privacy case right, perhaps for the first time in 25 years.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Some good one-liners in that write up.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/60500...cake-shop-case

So it's legal to use religion to hate. So very awesome.

Sad that people hid behind a religion that is supposed to be about love and forgiveness to hate other people. And it's now legal to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Sad that people hid behind a religion that is supposed to be about love and forgiveness to hate other people. And it's now legal to do that.
                            Read the decision on SCOTUSblog. interesting. In a quick read through (59 pages) it looks like the justices felt that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was openly hostile to religion and that was why they went for the plaintiffs.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Does it turn on orientation not being a suspect class? I'm not clear on how you can allow discrimination of this type without me saying "well, my religion does not approve of the Irish Lifestyle so I won't make cakes for St. Patrick's Day."

It seems like a really gross decision, at least the Four Horsemen's portion of it, and reason #578 not to elect a string of brainless rightwing f-cktards to be President.

But here's the thing: we have a market solution. Boycott the homophobes into penury.

Not the anti-Irish, though.

That I get.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 06-04-2018, 10:08 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Kennedy punted on the big question. He basically said the Colorado Civil Rights Commission acted with bias, so its decision was tainted. He didn't answer the underlying balance question. Which was why Kagan and Breyer concurred in the judgment.

It's unclear where Roberts would've ended up, but the other 7 clearly signal their intent when the question comes up again with their concurrence or dissent. The 4 liberals would uphold the law; Gorsuch, Alito, and Thomas would not. It's likely Roberts sides with them as well given his past precedent, though he smartly didn't join any of the concurrences here so he has wiggle room to read the political winds at the time.
                                Last edited by unofan; 06-04-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X