Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Yes, the Court doesn't want to become a political arbitrator. But partisan gerrymandering like MD is also destructive of democracy and we need a way to ban it too.
    Kep

In our state, nothing will change until the legislature changes (and fat chance of that happening).

My only hope is to get enough GOP legislators in to prevent a veto override.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Deciding vote was....Clarence Thomas
      If I read correctly, Thomas wrote his opinion such that all cases involving race and voting rights now must receive "strict scrutiny."
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Kep

In our state, nothing will change until the legislature changes (and fat chance of that happening).

My only hope is to get enough GOP legislators in to prevent a veto override.
        Nothing will ever change, anywhere until we get some balls and throw out the "dollars have 14th amendment protection" creeps. Your dollars do not have due process, rich people. Get over yourselves and try to get by with only a billion or so.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

4th Court of Appeal keeps Trump's ban overturned

The question for this Court, distilled to its essential form, is whether the Constitution, as the Supreme Court declared in Ex parte Milligan, 71 U.S. (4 Wall.) 2, 120 (1866), remains "a law for rulers and people, equally in war and in peace." And if so, whether it protects Plaintiffs' right to challenge an Executive Order that in text speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus, and discrimination. Surely the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment yet stands as an untiring sentinel for the protection of one of our most cherished founding principles-that government shall not establish any religious orthodoxy, or favor or disfavor one religion over another. Congress granted the President broad power to deny entry to aliens, but that power is not absolute.
          0-5
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            Sessions has a sad.

Well Jefferson Beauregard, I have something for you right here.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Nothing will ever change, anywhere until we get some balls and throw out the "dollars have 14th amendment protection" creeps. Your dollars do not have due process, rich people. Get over yourselves and try to get by with only a billion or so.
              Ya know, Dems participating in the last election may have helped in that regard since a SCOTUS seat was at stake. Amazing how many non-voters and 3rd partiers should be beaten senseless because of that. Set back the fight against money in politics for a generation.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Ya know, Dems participating in the last election may have helped in that regard since a SCOTUS seat was at stake. Amazing how many non-voters and 3rd partiers should be beaten senseless because of that. Set back the fight against money in politics for a generation.
                Get.

A.

Better.

Candidate.

It's fine for us, we follow this sh-t closely. But to win elections you need to give people something to eat besides a sh-t sandwich. I know this brings up painful memories for you, but going forward there are many lessons. Unity, yes. But you can't win without casual and lofo voters -- they are the majority of both parties -- and you can't win an election when you creak out a godawful trashpile and tell people it's a chocolate sundae.
                Cornell University

Comment

Get.

A.

Better.

Candidate.

It's fine for us, we follow this sh-t closely. But to win elections you need to give people something to eat besides a sh-t sandwich. I know this brings up painful memories for you, but going forward there are many lessons. Unity, yes. But you can't win without casual and lofo voters -- they are the majority of both parties -- and you can't win an election when you creak out a godawful trashpile and tell people it's a chocolate sundae.
                  Why didn't they show up for the Senate candidates though? You never answer that question. If Feingold, Murphy and McGinty win their races, all people who's progressive credentials I believe were pretty solid, Gorsuch isn't on the SCOTUS.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Why didn't they show up for the Senate candidates though? You never answer that question. If Feingold, Murphy and McGinty win their races, all people who's progressive credentials I believe were pretty solid, Gorsuch isn't on the SCOTUS.
                    We've been through all this a hundred times. The top of the ticket pulls people to the ballpark. Even a good enchilada won't sell if you serve it slathered with expired sour cream.

Thing is, I'm not dismissing your main point: people hafta vote. I'm merely adding an observation that is Marketing 101: if a product doesn't sell, you won't get far if your response is to blame the market. Why you need to hold your breath and squeeze your eyes tight is anybody's guess, but it doesn't make that fact go away.
                    Cornell University

Comment

We've been through all this a hundred times. The top of the ticket pulls people to the ballpark. Even a good enchilada won't sell if you serve it slathered with expired sour cream.

Thing is, I'm not dismissing your main point: people hafta vote. I'm merely adding an observation that is Marketing 101: if a product doesn't sell, you won't get far if your response is to blame the market. Why you need to hold your breath and squeeze your eyes tight is anybody's guess, but it doesn't make that fact go away.
                      Makes no sense Kep. All of these people should have won more votes than the top of the ticket then, even if they ended up losing their races. Might it be that Dem voters need to take elections a lot more seriously than we have been? Not showing up in 2010, 2014 and 2016 is downright criminal if you consider yourself to be a progressive. I mean, aren't we supposed to be the smart people? Yet we're too smart to participate when it actually counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Makes no sense Kep. All of these people should have won more votes than the top of the ticket then, even if they ended up losing their races. Might it be that Dem voters need to take elections a lot more seriously than we have been? Not showing up in 2010, 2014 and 2016 is downright criminal if you consider yourself to be a progressive. I mean, aren't we supposed to be the smart people? Yet we're too smart to participate when it actually counts.
                        Yes, dems ARE the party of smart people, in the sense that ~80% (working assumption) of smart people vote blue. Problem is that only 20% of the country is smart....if that. So you get a guaranteed 16% of the vote by portraying yourselves as the party of smart people. Congratulations on that, and good luck.

If you actually want to win elections, though, then you darn we'll better figure out how to appeal to a whole lot of dumb people - in spite of being perceived as the party of smart people.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          Yes, dems ARE the party of smart people, in the sense that ~80% (working assumption) of smart people vote blue. Problem is that only 20% of the country is smart....if that. So you get a guaranteed 16% of the vote by portraying yourselves as the party of smart people. Congratulations on that, and good luck.

If you actually want to win elections, though, then you darn we'll better figure out how to appeal to a whole lot of dumb people - in spite of being perceived as the party of smart people.
                          Correct, and the way to do that is to approach people on their terms and listen to them, and have your messaging reflect what they want. The GOP has shown you don't even have to mean it -- they have done nothing but bend the poor over a barrel for 30 years and give it to them without lube, but because they put goofballs with the right gun totin' straight talkin' nonsense in front of the camera the dummies cry for more.

If I am the Dems (which, after all...) I launch a full-scale class war just the way the GOP has launched a full-scale cultural war. The aim would be exactly the same: give people someone to blame. In this case, blame the plutes. It makes no practical difference but it is at least a nice coincidence that it happens to be true.

The thing that prevents us, other than cowardice and the learned helplessness of the DLC types, is that doing this will cost us many of our plutes. The Clinton Foundation was built on plute money; they and their network will be no help. Obama seems to be going the same direction though if we act fast we might still save him as an asset. The kleptocracy has had a 39-year chokehold on the government not just because the Republicans are their active champions but because the Democrats have been their passive enablers. It's time for an Abolitionist movement to wipe out the American aristocracy. The last time we did it they squealed like stuck pigs and we built the strongest economy and greatest middle class in world history.

It's the smart thing to do economically and the right thing to do morally. Feed the poor. Eat the rich.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 05-26-2017, 12:19 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Correct, and the way to do that is to approach people on their terms and listen to them, and have your messaging reflect what they want. The GOP has shown you don't even have to mean it -- they have done nothing but bend the poor over a barrel for 30 years and give it to them without lube, but because they put goofballs with the right gun totin' straight talkin' nonsense in front of the camera the dummies cry for more.

If I am the Dems (which, after all...) I launch a full-scale class war just the way the GOP has launched a full-scale cultural war. The aim would be exactly the same: give people someone to blame. In this case, blame the plutes. It makes no practical difference but it is at least a nice coincidence that it happens to be true.

The thing that prevents us, other than cowardice and the learned helplessness of the DLC types, is that doing this will cost us many of our plutes. The Clinton Foundation built on plute money; they will be no help. Obama seems to be going to same direction though if we act fast we might still save him as an asset. The kleptocracy has had a 39-year chokehold on the government not just because the Republicans are their active champions but because the Democrats have been their passive enablers. It's time for an Abolitionist movement to wipe out the American aristocracy. The last time we did it they squealed like stuck pigs and we built the strongest economy and greatest middle class in world history.

It's the smart thing to do economically and the right thing to do morally. Feed the poor. Eat the rich.
                            As long as you cut the line that's holding the 40% anchor to the boat. They're gone (hopeless). Let them drown.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The thing that prevents us, other than cowardice and the learned helplessness of the DLC types, is that doing this will cost us many of our plutes. The Clinton Foundation was built on plute money; they and their network will be no help. Obama seems to be going the same direction though if we act fast we might still save him as an asset. The kleptocracy has had a 39-year chokehold on the government not just because the Republicans are their active champions but because the Democrats have been their passive enablers. It's time for an Abolitionist movement to wipe out the American aristocracy. The last time we did it they squealed like stuck pigs and we built the strongest economy and greatest middle class in world history.

I don't get the bashing Obama for doing what all of us would do; cashing in on easy money. If Goldman Sachs wanted to pay me 500 large for a 2-hour speech, I'd be on the plane tomorrow. He's out of office, can't run again, he's earned the chance to take it easy and cash big checks.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                I don't get the bashing Obama for doing what all of us would do; cashing in on easy money. If Goldman Sachs wanted to pay me 500 large for a 2-hour speech, I'd be on the plane tomorrow. He's out of office, can't run again, he's earned the chance to take it easy and cash big checks.
                                I get it. He doesn't need the money. It looks bad. There's no upside for his legacy to do that ****.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X