Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    They aren't issued a birth certificate, so no, they're not.
    Uh, but you said ...

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Since citizenship is granted at birth, you're not a citizen until then. (Boom, lawyered).
    Birth is not a birth certificate. One is biologic; one is administrative. So, my fair esquire, which is it, birth, or paperwork? Does that mass have no citizen rights until an MD scribbles on paper? And remember, sometimes it takes days (weeks) to get that birth certificate. What of that mass in the intervening time? Disposable?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

I know there's a separate thread for this part of the discussion.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        No because it has had his/her spinal cord snipped then the corpse is dragged out of the mother. If the doc did the snipping after the baby had been completely ejected from the mother, it would be murder. But because part of the baby remains inside the mother, there is a gray area in the law that permits this abomination.
        If only you showed the same outrage for people that arent babies that died...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I know there's a separate thread for this part of the discussion.
          And here it is.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Uh, but you said ...

Birth is not a birth certificate. One is biologic; one is administrative. So, my fair esquire, which is it, birth, or paperwork? Does that mass have no citizen rights until an MD scribbles on paper? And remember, sometimes it takes days (weeks) to get that birth certificate. What of that mass in the intervening time? Disposable?
            If a child dies one minute after birth, they will still be issued a birth (and death) certificate. Since aborted babies are never born, they are never issued a birth certificate. The lack of a birth certificate is proof they weren't born, a necessary requirement for getting birthright citizenship.

Again, it's a binary function, just like the mother's pregnancy.

Put another way, my daughter's head crowned about ten minutes before she popped all the way out. The time on her birth certificate isn't when she entered the birth canal, but when she popped all the way out.
            Last edited by unofan; 06-27-2017, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Don't bring Roe v. Wade into this ...
              I thought that, for all practical purposes, SCOTUS had tacitly "rescinded" [in effect, not literally] the reasoning from Roe v Wade and pretty much re-wrote the whole subject matter in Casey v Planned Parenthood ??
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                I thought that, for all practical purposes, SCOTUS had tacitly "rescinded" [in effect, not literally] the reasoning from Roe v Wade and pretty much re-wrote the whole subject matter in Casey v Planned Parenthood ??
                Yes. Casey is the real precedent now. It is now the CW among everyone, left, right or center, that Roe, although vital for articulating the Griswold right of privacy that underlies all other rights, was on its other points wrongly argued.

Casey's more important effect however has been nefarious. It gives the Thumpers the ability to continually challenge and erode reproductive rights as long as these "exceptions" meet state compelling interest. On the face of it that makes sense since no right is absolute (except apparently the 2nd...) but in practice the Usual Suspect states have introduced all sorts of bizarre and disgusting restraints on women and the conservative majority Court has meekly upheld them. It's as if after Brown v Board the Court amended the decision, and afterwards Mississippi and Alabama passed laws saying state-mandated segregation was permissible in hospitals... and restaurants... and, eventually, schools.

As always, unofan will tell me if I'm lying, since I'm arguing from memories of Con Law.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-27-2017, 08:55 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In California Public Employees’ Retirement System v. ANZ Securities, Inc., SCOTUS rules that a statute whose text reads "in no event" actually does mean what it says.

Makes one wonder a bit why the ruling was only 5-4. How do the 4 interpret "in no event" to mean something different than what it says on its face??

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

In California Public Employees’ Retirement System v. ANZ Securities, Inc., SCOTUS rules that a statute whose text reads "in no event" actually does mean what it says.

Makes one wonder a bit why the ruling was only 5-4. How do the 4 interpret "in no event" to mean something different than what it says on its face??
                    Did you read the entire decision and/or the cases relied upon by the parties. That would probably answer your question. The fact that it reached the Supremes should inform you that there was a bona fide dispute at many levels below.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Did you read the entire decision and/or the cases relied upon by the parties. That would probably answer your question. The fact that it reached the Supremes should inform you that there was a bona fide dispute at many levels below.
                      Is it something like this?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Of course he didnt read it. The bot only picks up relevant info and then uses it adding an emoticon so as to appear human...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Let's use an analogy (which I know are imperfect) so that maybe we can at least understand each other, if not agree.

Suppose you and I are roommates, and share a car. You say, "my mom is arriving at the airport next Saturday and I need the car to pick her up."
                          I reply, "I absolutely promise under no circumstances whatsoever will I take the car next Saturday."

Scenario 1: Saturday morning arrives and you find the car is gone, I took it. No matter how badly or how desperately I may have needed it, no matter how dire my emergency, did I break my promise?

Scenario 2: Friday night: I say to you, "remember how I promised under no circumstances I will take the car tomorrow? Something unexpected came up, and I really desperately need it. Here's $100 for cab fare for you to get to the airport, pick up your mom, and bring her back." Did I "break" my promise? or did I re-negotiate my promise into a new one that would be acceptable to us both?

To me, plain explicit language should always mean exactly what it says; however, there is a responsible way to adjust it so that you can then do something other than what the plain explicit language originally said.

If the language itself were unclear or open to more than one interpretation, that would be different.

When the language is that clear and that explicit, it needs to be adjusted by the legislature, not re-written by the Court (at least under our Constitutional system as it is supposed to function).

If the Court can simply re-write any law that it finds inconvenient, how can we rely on anything to be honored?
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 06-30-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

If the Court can simply re-write any law that it finds inconvenient
                            Please cite who has advocated this, with their quote in context.

Because otherwise it seems to me you're just bloviating another righty strawman.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Let's use an analogy (which I know are imperfect) so that maybe we can at least understand each other, if not agree.

Suppose you and I are roommates, and share a car. You say, "my mom is arriving at the airport next Saturday and I need the car to pick her up."
                              I reply, "I absolutely promise under no circumstances whatsoever will I take the car next Saturday."

Scenario 1: Saturday morning arrives and you find the car is gone, I took it. No matter how badly or how desperately I may have needed it, no matter how dire my emergency, did I break my promise?

Scenario 2: Friday night: I say to you, "remember how I promised under no circumstances I will take the car tomorrow? Something unexpected came up, and I really desperately need it. Here's $100 for cab fare for you to get to the airport, pick up your mom, and bring her back." Did I "break" my promise? or did I re-negotiate my promise into a new one that would be acceptable to us both?

To me, plain explicit language should always mean exactly what it says; however, there is a responsible way to adjust it so that you can then do something other than what the plain explicit language originally said.

If the language itself were unclear or open to more than one interpretation, that would be different.

When the language is that clear and that explicit, it needs to be adjusted by the legislature, not re-written by the Court (at least under our Constitutional system as it is supposed to function).

If the Court can simply re-write any law that it finds inconvenient, how can we rely on anything to be honored?
                              Yep, pretty sure you didn't read the decision.

The case had to do with statutes of limitations, statutes of repose, class actions and the right of a party to "opt out" of a class action to protect their own interests. I believe it can be summarized thus.

By statute a party has a right to sue someone like Lehman Bros. for misrepresentations made in public offerings of securities. A party has one year to start that lawsuit from the date it discovered, or should have discovered the misrepresentation. That is a statute of limitations.

The law also says "in no event" shall a lawsuit be started more than three years from the date of the public offering. That is a statute of repose.

A class action lawsuit was started within one year of the discovery of a misrepresentation made in a public offering. Everyone, including this big California pension fund, was by definition included in that class (thus, effectively, their claim had been asserted within that one year).

However, after the three year statute of repose had run, the pension fund exercised their right to "opt out" of the class action and start their own separate lawsuit. The reasons for this should seem obvious to any one of you who, like me, have received a check for $6.13 as part of my settlement in class actions. The named parties, and their attorneys, are the only winners in class action cases, and if you are a giant pension fund who has a real claim as part of that class, you are probably better off opting out of the class action and proceeding on your own.

The defendant claimed the lawsuit was barred by the statute of repose. Ultimately, the Supremes agreed.

The pension fund argued, and the dissent agreed, that the lawsuit should not be barred for a variety of reasons. First, they had effectively started their lawsuit in a timely fashion because they were part of the original class. Second, the statute of repose should be "tolled." Class certifications and initial discovery relating to them can take years, and as a result it might very well be well over three years before a party even knows whether they need to opt out and start their own case to protect their interests. By failing to permit a tolling of the statute of repose, we will encourage (i.e., force) parties like big institutional investors to start their own cases before the end of the three years, just to protect themselves against the statute or repose in the event they later conclude they need to proceed on their own instead of as part of the class. This is a waste of resources of both parties and the courts.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

JFC!!

http://www.westernjournalism.com/tex...riage-benefits

Overturned 9 - 0.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X