Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    You can refuse service for any legal reason.
    Legal reason, yup, you bet.

But I'm still asking: Who defines "offensive content"? What is "offensive"? Is that set by you? Me? The Catholic Church? Larry Flynt?

I guess your answer is saying the Government defines it and the offended has to do the (offensive to them) work under penalty of law.

I know a baker that would refuse making a cake with the GB Packers' "G" on it because he'll claim it's "offensive".
    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 12-05-2017, 03:50 PM.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Doesn't matter.

You can refuse service for any legal reason. You can refuse service based on content, period, whether it's innocuous or offensive, because that is a legal reason.

You can't refuse service based on a protected characteristic, which in Colorado includes sexual orientation.
      So refusing to put two grooms on the cake is fine, refusing to sell a cake to two grooms is not?

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

But I'm still asking: Who defines "offensive content"? What is "offensive"? Is that set by you? Me? The Catholic Church? Larry Flynt?

I guess your answer is saying the Government defines it and the offended has to do the (offensive to them) work under penalty of law.
        Did you just say you assumed that it's the government who defines a term of art in legislation?

Cuz I'm thinking, yeah, that's a pretty good guess.

It's also a good system. The government is all of us. All the rest of your examples are just some as-shole.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Doesn't matter.

You can refuse service for any legal reason. You can refuse service based on content, period, whether it's innocuous or offensive, because that is a legal reason.

You can't refuse service based on a protected characteristic, which in Colorado includes sexual orientation.

I know a baker that would refuse making a cake with the GB Packers' "G" on it because he'll claim it's "offensive".
          Just keep reading uno's post until it kicks in...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            It's also a good system. The government is all of us.
            Yup.
            But it tacitly requires all of us understand and accept that you may not agree with some outcomes.

That aspect of political and cultural civility is going extinct.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Yup.
              But it tacitly requires all of us understand and accept that you may not agree with some outcomes.

That aspect of political and cultural civility is going extinct.
              Passive voice was used.

Although there is some measure of this on both sides, the right has been driving this trend ever since Rush first saw a rube, sniffed a mic, and thought, "mmm... smells like money."
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                Just keep reading uno's post until it kicks in...
                Any legal reason. Definitely. But uno goes on to say "content ... offensive".

What is "offensive"? Who defines it?

Apparently, the Government. Or as Kep says, we do. And as I said, that tacitly requires all of us understand and accept that you (or I) may not agree with some outcomes.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Any legal reason. Definitely. But uno goes on to say "content ... offensive".

What is "offensive"? Who defines it?

Apparently, the Government. Or as Kep says, we do. And as I said, that tacitly requires all of us understand and accept that you (or I) may not agree with some outcomes.
                  No, he doesn't. Like I said keep reading it. He says "content...innocuous or offensive." There is no definition of offensive required, because as long as it is based on content it doesn't matter what the content is.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Here's my biggest questions about the cake case:
                    If a business is allowed to tell a gay person they aren't going to sell to them, wouldn't that have major implications for Title IX and employment as well?
                    That's not what the case is about. The bakery offered to sell the couple any cake in the store. The baker was not "refusing to sell to them." He merely declined to put a customized message in the icing; as he does in many other situations as well.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Does he refuse to make them for straight couples without any of those caveats? If not then since when does gay = swastikas?
                      He refuses to make custom cakes for a variety of different reasons, each of which he claims is against his religious beliefs.

The refusal to make any Halloween-themed cake stood out to me, an "interesting" exclusion.....

And no one ever said "gay = swastikas." The argument (from one of the Justices) was, if he is forced to make a custom message on a cake for same-sex wedding, why then is he not also forced to make a custom message on a cake for a neo-Nazi wedding?

Kennedy will side with the baker this time in an incredibly limited ruling phrased so that it will not be applicable any other time to any other situation. 5-4

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post

Hmm... actually, this post is the essence of the baker's case: the content of the customized message is why he refused to make a custom cake. he did not refuse to sell them a cake (which, as you dourly note, would be illegal).

Sounds like you've just given us the outline of Kennedy's majority opinion in a 5-4 ruling in favor of the baker.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          There is no definition of offensive required, because as long as it is based on content it doesn't matter what the content is.
                          I was too locked in on "offensive content".

The ruling is, "I don't like that content. Scurry along to another who will do that content for you," is a legal response to give.

My Packer-hating baker friend exhales.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

No, I said it doesn't matter, because you can refuse service for inoffensive conduct just as legally as offensive conduct. So there's no need to define what is offensive.

Trying reading what I said rather than your own misguided interpretation of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              That's not what the case is about. The bakery offered to sell the couple any cake in the store. The baker was not "refusing to sell to them." He merely declined to put a customized message in the icing; as he does in many other situations as well.
                              Wrong

Comment

No, I said it doesn't matter, because you can refuse service for inoffensive conduct just as legally as offensive conduct. So there's no need to define what is offensive.

Trying reading what I said rather than your own misguided interpretation of it.
                                Like said, I locked in on the word "offensive" rather than "content" (no adjective). I apologize to your infallibility.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X