Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Are we sure? I mean, he could just announce tomorrow or the next day.
    None announced today, mr. pedantic (I'm going on 3 hours sleep due to a teething kid and stuck in project management training all day, so I apologize for being short tempered today).

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Are we sure? I mean, he could just announce tomorrow or the next day.
      To that end, we can never be certain on any day of any which year. Any justice alive may decide to retire at any given point. Except RBG, she's in it until she expires while hearing a case on the bench.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Gorsuch writes/joins a number of opinions putting him right of Alito and on par with Thomas.
        < left palm on forehead >

Nope, no, I don't feel surprised.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

None announced today, mr. pedantic (I'm going on 3 hours sleep due to a teething kid and stuck in project management training all day, so I apologize for being short tempered today).
          And now you have put in an extra "today".
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            To that end, we can never be certain on any day of any which year.
            Like a thief in the night ...

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

a teething kid and stuck in project management training all day, so I apologize for being short tempered today.
              Meh. Both of those are self-inflicted.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                Like a thief in the night ...
                A novel take on 1 Thess 5:2.

Duct tape?
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Meh. Both of those are self-inflicted.
                  first yes, second no.

Comment

second no.
                    Of course it is. Life is choices. The bright sunny day beckons.

I mean, no, I'm not leaving my corporate slave pen either, but it's a choice I make every day. Stupid forethought.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      < left palm on forehead >

Nope, no, I don't feel surprised.
                      That's not a facepalm moment. That's a everyone knew exactly what was going to happen and those of us who gave a ****, lost.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

What I meant was: did Kennedy announce he is not retiring or did Kennedy not announce he is retiring?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Well Trump got part of his Travel Ban reinstated...
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Yep. More winning. Are we sick of it yet?
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Interesting...

“In practical terms, this means that §2(c) may not be enforced against foreign nationals who have a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” the Court said. “All other foreign nationals are subject to the provisions of EO–2.” Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch said they would have granted the Trump administration’s request to block the lower court injunctions in their entirety while legal proceedings unfold.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

A question. From the SCOTUS:

The facts of these cases illustrate the sort of relationship
                                that qualifies. For individuals, a close familial relation
                                -
                                ship is required. A foreign national who wishes to enter
                                the United States to live with or visit a family member,
                                like Doe’s wife or Dr. Elshikh’s mother-in-law, clearly has
                                such a relationship. As for entities, the relationship must
                                be formal, documented, and formed in the ordinary course,
                                rather than for the purpose of evading EO–2.
                                The stu-
                                dents from the designated countries who have been admit-
                                ted to the University of Hawaii have such a relationship
                                with an American entity. So too would a worker who
                                accepted an offer of employment from an American com-
                                pany or a lecturer invited to address an American audi-
                                ence. Not so someone who enters into a relationship sim-
                                ply to avoid §2(c): For example, a nonprofit group devoted to
                                immigration issues may not contact foreign nationals from
                                the designated countries, add them to client lists, and then
                                secure their entry by claiming injury from their exclusion
                                How could this be proven? What is the legal threshold here?

It looks like Thomas, in his opinion, wonders the same thing:
                                Moreover, I fear that the Court’s remedy will prove
                                unworkable. Today’s compro
                                mise will burden executive
                                officials with the task of deciding—on peril of contempt—
                                whether individuals from the six affected nations who
                                wish to enter the United States have a sufficient connec-
                                tion to a person or entity in this country.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-26-2017, 11:59 AM.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X