Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Pedantic, but you can sue, but you probably don't have standing.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      OK, so they weren't being sued personally, they were placeholders for a suit against the USG. That makes sense.

I never quite understand how and when political entities can be sued. Certainly you can sue claiming your rights have been abridged, but you can't sue if, say, Congress bans asbestos and you own Asbestos Kwik-E-Mart, right?
      In not going to be able to cram an entire civil procedure course into a single post, but the short short short version is:

Start with presumption of sovereign immunity. If the sovereign violates your constitutional rights, you can ask for that to be remedied. Mostly that doesn't mean monetary compensation, but instead equitable relief (stop doing X, and/or do Y instead)

If you want monetary compensation, you have to fall into a specific exemption to sovereign immunity created by statute. This primarily means something like the Tort Claims Act, but there are also court created (common law) exceptions, too. the big one when it comes to the Fourth Amendment are called Bivens actions.

Comment

• Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Interesting. I would have thought that you couldn't sue federal government officials personally for administrative actions in any event, as long as they followed USG policy. Seems odd to me that the case even went forward, so I must be missing something important.
        Originally posted by unofan View Post
        What you're missing is that the officials were sued in their official capacity, so the plaintiffs were essentially suing the USG.

The court essentially said "you should've brought a habeas petition to get free sooner, but you can't sue for money even if your detention was unlawful"
        What is interesting about that is that government officials in some jurisdictions (like Wisconsin) do not enjoy immunity for tort actions or omissions that are purely ministerial in nature but do enjoy immunity for actions that involve official discretionary decision making. For instance, if a hiker is injured in a fall as a result of a missing warning sign by a cliff, he may be able to sue the appropriate governmental official if the sign was designed into the plan (and probably initially installed) but not replaced when it deteriorated and fell down or if it was installed in a way that was dangerous and did not conform with the plan. He would not be able to sue based on what he felt was a faulty exercise of judgment if the government official decided not to use a sign in that location in the first place. In any case, though (and as you suggest, Kep), the official is being sued in his or her governmental capacity, not individually.

Comment

In not going to be able to cram an entire civil procedure course into a single post, but the short short short version is:

Start with presumption of sovereign immunity. If the sovereign violates your constitutional rights, you can ask for that to be remedied. Mostly that doesn't mean monetary compensation, but instead equitable relief (stop doing X, and/or do Y instead)

If you want monetary compensation, you have to fall into a specific exemption to sovereign immunity created by statute. This primarily means something like the Tort Claims Act, but there are also court created (common law) exceptions, too. the big one when it comes to the Fourth Amendment are called Bivens actions.
          From what I read of the commentary on the ruling, these comments appear to apply only to the federal government, not to state governments. It read as if the same defendants had been detained under state law rather than under federal law, then the state could have been sued for monetary damages while the feds cannot be.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            From what I read of the commentary on the ruling, these comments appear to apply only to the federal government, not to state governments. It read as if the same defendants had been detained under state law rather than under federal law, then the state could have been sued for monetary damages while the feds cannot be.
            States are sovereigns as well. Complete with their own immunities and exceptions thereto.

Comment

I do recall that while I was working for USDA that a recent court case held that federal managers could be held liable if they were found to be negligent.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I put this in the Prez-thread also, but ...

Chris Hayes of MSNBC is claiming there's a non-zero chance of Justice Kennedy resigning on Monday.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...ring-monday%2F
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                  I put this in the Prez-thread also, but ...

Chris Hayes of MSNBC is claiming there's a non-zero chance of Justice Kennedy resigning on Monday.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...ring-monday%2F
                  It looks like every right wing crank website is reporting this as gospel. Here's hoping it's just fever swamp speculation.

How any judge could deliberately hand another nomination to this sh-tbird is beyond me.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It looks like every right wing crank website is reporting this as gospel.

How any judge could deliberately hand another nomination to this sh-tbird is beyond me.
                    If you made me put down $20 on this, I'd bet the under (as in not happenin').
                    However, Kennedy is 80 years old. Maybe he wants to actually have a day of retirement.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

If you made me put down $20 on this, I'd bet the under (as in not happenin').
                      However, Kennedy is 80 years old. Maybe he wants to actually have a day of retirement.
                      I would be shocked for a couple reasons:

1. Kennedy is a drama queen, and right now the Court breaks so that his decisions will have maximum impact and visibility.

2. Kennedy is, despite his various blindnesses, still a serious judge. He's not going to want to give Dump another pick unless he's ill.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

... unless he's ill.
                        "Just asking the question" ... are we?

In retrospect, Notorious RBG should've bailed when she hit 80 (four years ago) and let Mr. Obama fill her seat. There'd be far less fear and loathing right now.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

"Just asking the question" ... are we?

In retrospect, Notorious RBG should've bailed when she hit 80 (four years ago) and let Mr. Obama fill her seat. There'd be far less fear and loathing right now.
                          If we're doing shoulda couldas, SCOTUS shouldn't have become a fully owned subsidiary of the RNC in 2000 and we might have avoided the last 17 years of hell.

But the rich got their tax cut, and that's what matters.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Another article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/24/politi...ors/index.html
                            Last edited by ericredaxe; 06-25-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

No retirements. Court will hear the discriminatory cake baker case (he didn't want to make a same sex wedding cake). Court will hear the travel ban in October, leaves current injunctions in place for most people.

Gorsuch writes/joins a number of opinions putting him right of Alito and on par with Thomas.

Comment

No retirements.
                                Are we sure? I mean, he could just announce tomorrow or the next day.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X