Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 513

Thread: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

  1. #121
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    61,956

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_major View Post
    that's the point. Imo getting roberts out a bush nomination is a marginal victory.
    wrong.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  2. #122
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,321

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I recommended this from the start. Gorsuch is Scalia II but elections have consequences and the GOP has every right to put him on the Court. They are going to get away with the stolen seat, and they've set a terrible precedent, but that isn't on Gorsuch and, more to the point, there's nothing we can do to stop them.

    It means our next Dem nominee will have to be significantly farther left and more activist to counter him, of course.

    The GOP has weaponized the Supreme Court. It only remains to see how that will play out. It's entirely possible they will rue the day they pis-sed on Obama's olive branch.
    I dont think he is Scalia II at all. Nothing I have seen or read has lead me to believe he hates people the way Scalia did. If Gorsuch was Scalia II he would not be ripping Donald for his actions with the Federal Judge he would be attacking the Judge.

    Gorsuch is more than qualified for the job and is about as highly respected in the field as it gets. From all accounts he doesnt let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement he acts on what is written and whether it holds up to the strict scrutiny of the Constitution. He isnt going to be the guy to vote down Roe v. Wade because it was passed legally and doesnt violate any specific law.

    I would prefer a liberal on the Court but Gorsuch isnt that big of a difference from Merrick Garland...in fact arent they buddies?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #123
    Kichizapi Chetan
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Engelstad Arena
    Posts
    11,514

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    The way Trump likes to surround himself with family I'm surprised Gorsuch beat out ... her.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

    North Dakota Hockey:

  4. #124
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,648

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The way Trump likes to surround himself with family I'm surprised Gorsuch beat out ... her.
    She turned her back on the Trump family by changing her name when she got married. She's fired.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,251

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    She turned her back on the Trump family by changing her name when she got married. She's fired.
    She also appears to have brains and integrity, each of which would muddy the brand.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,251

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I dont think he is Scalia II at all. Nothing I have seen or read has lead me to believe he hates people the way Scalia did. If Gorsuch was Scalia II he would not be ripping Donald for his actions with the Federal Judge he would be attacking the Judge.

    Gorsuch is more than qualified for the job and is about as highly respected in the field as it gets. From all accounts he doesnt let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement he acts on what is written and whether it holds up to the strict scrutiny of the Constitution. He isnt going to be the guy to vote down Roe v. Wade because it was passed legally and doesnt violate any specific law.

    I would prefer a liberal on the Court but Gorsuch isnt that big of a difference from Merrick Garland...in fact arent they buddies?
    Scalia didn't hate people, he just had that ability to compartmentalize his decisions and their consequences for human beings. I honestly think he'd agree with that statement. It's like Werner von Braun -- "once ze rockets go up who cares vere they come down? That's not my department!" I think it's a Jesuit thing. Except IINM Thomas was educated by hard core Jesuits and oddly enough he really tries to temper his decisions with what he regards as mercy for human beings. So, for example, Thomas hears the cries of the unborn when he talks about overturning Roe. Scalia just sees red that somebody had the temerity to infer a right to privacy when those words do not specifically appear in the US Constitution.

    I don't believe RBG would have cared as much as she did for Nino if he had "hated people." Scalia is a cautionary tale of what happens when you use the letter of the law to harm real human beings in the name of the Greater Good. Anybody with any technical imagination can understand what he was reaching for, but god what a record of pain and sorrow he bequeathed anybody who didn't march right on his fine little line.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  7. #127
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I dont think he is Scalia II at all. Nothing I have seen or read has lead me to believe he hates people the way Scalia did. If Gorsuch was Scalia II he would not be ripping Donald for his actions with the Federal Judge he would be attacking the Judge.

    Gorsuch is more than qualified for the job and is about as highly respected in the field as it gets. From all accounts he doesnt let his personal beliefs cloud his judgement he acts on what is written and whether it holds up to the strict scrutiny of the Constitution. He isnt going to be the guy to vote down Roe v. Wade because it was passed legally and doesnt violate any specific law.

    I would prefer a liberal on the Court but Gorsuch isnt that big of a difference from Merrick Garland...in fact arent they buddies?
    Ginsburg and Scalia were buddies. That doesn't mean their judicial philosophies were the same.

  8. #128
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,012

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Scalia didn't hate people, he just had that ability to compartmentalize his decisions and their consequences for human beings. I honestly think he'd agree with that statement. It's like Werner von Braun -- "once ze rockets go up who cares vere they come down? That's not my department!" I think it's a Jesuit thing. Except IINM Thomas was educated by hard core Jesuits and oddly enough he really tries to temper his decisions with what he regards as mercy for human beings. So, for example, Thomas hears the cries of the unborn when he talks about overturning Roe. Scalia just sees red that somebody had the temerity to infer a right to privacy when those words do not specifically appear in the US Constitution.

    I don't believe RBG would have cared as much as she did for Nino if he had "hated people." Scalia is a cautionary tale of what happens when you use the letter of the law to harm real human beings in the name of the Greater Good. Anybody with any technical imagination can understand what he was reaching for, but god what a record of pain and sorrow he bequeathed anybody who didn't march right on his fine little line.
    A+ post
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  9. #129
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,321

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Ginsburg and Scalia were buddies. That doesn't mean their judicial philosophies were the same.
    Yeah and that doesnt prove that Gorsuch is a Scalia clone either. I doubt if Kepler has read up enough on him to make that comparison he is letting his bias take the wheel.

    And sorry Kep but the last 10 years or so Scalia definitely hated people. He may have liked RBG but there were also Nazi's that liked some Jews. The man was scum...he didnt start out that way but by the end he was as much a troll as our current President is.

    edit: Yes I admit I am completely biased against the Goblin because I used to respect him and his opinions but then he got older and became everyone's annoying drunk uncle at Thanksgiving
    Last edited by Handyman; 02-09-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  10. #130
    Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    32,321

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Scalia didn't hate people, he just had that ability to compartmentalize his decisions and their consequences for human beings. I honestly think he'd agree with that statement. It's like Werner von Braun -- "once ze rockets go up who cares vere they come down? That's not my department!" I think it's a Jesuit thing. Except IINM Thomas was educated by hard core Jesuits and oddly enough he really tries to temper his decisions with what he regards as mercy for human beings. So, for example, Thomas hears the cries of the unborn when he talks about overturning Roe. Scalia just sees red that somebody had the temerity to infer a right to privacy when those words do not specifically appear in the US Constitution.

    I don't believe RBG would have cared as much as she did for Nino if he had "hated people." Scalia is a cautionary tale of what happens when you use the letter of the law to harm real human beings in the name of the Greater Good. Anybody with any technical imagination can understand what he was reaching for, but god what a record of pain and sorrow he bequeathed anybody who didn't march right on his fine little line.
    So how is Gorsuch Scalia II? Sounds like something you read on Daily Kos...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  11. #131
    You have not enough minerals.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,108

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    "The Judiciary of the United States is the subtle corps of sappers and miners constantly working under ground to undermine the foundations of our confederated fabric." --Thomas Jefferson
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,251

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So how is Gorsuch Scalia II? Sounds like something you read on Daily Kos...
    Gorsuch is Scalia II strictly by measure of his decisions.

    BTW, Kos would never admit Scalia didn't hate people. In Kos' world, if you disagree you're a demon. It's Townhall for smarter people.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    49,251

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    37 characterizes the 9th ruling succinctly.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  14. #134
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,012

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...t_weapons.html

    I'm surprised this wasn't posted already. Appeals court rules assault weapons are not protected under the 2nd Amendment.

  15. #135
    You have not enough minerals.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,108

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    They're goin' home... THEY'RE GOIN' HOME!!! http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2985153

    Must say, though, the paraphrase of Clarence Thomas's statements is spot on, and shows how partisan the country really is, even in the courts.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  16. #136
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    20,012

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    http://jezebel.com/supreme-court-rul...-in-1793009857

    Interesting. SCOTUS rules that racist comments are sealed in jury deliberations.

  17. #137
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,465
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://jezebel.com/supreme-court-rul...-in-1793009857

    Interesting. SCOTUS rules that racist comments are sealed in jury deliberations.
    Not sealed. They voted 5-3 to allow inquiry into racist remarks asking jurors.

  18. #138
    You have not enough minerals.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,108

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So how is Gorsuch Scalia II? Sounds like something you read on Daily Kos...
    It's basically the same argument that anyone who didn't vote for Obama is racist, and anyone that didn't vote for Hilldawg is a Russian. Just more binary simpleton thought designed to divide the populace so the globalists can take over like they're Messianic or something.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  19. #139
    QU PC BC and Hobart fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Madison, Connecticut
    Posts
    30

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    It's basically the same argument that anyone who didn't vote for Obama is racist, and anyone that didn't vote for Hilldawg is a Russian. Just more binary simpleton thought designed to divide the populace so the globalists can take over like they're Messianic or something.
    Soros I tell you! Scum walking the earth
    Hobart Statesmen
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    Boston College Eagles
    Providence College Friars

    #EasternBias is the only way

    Joe Gravellese is Jesuit Jesus

    Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
    Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

  20. #140
    You have not enough minerals.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    40,108

    Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
    Soros I tell you! Scum walking the earth
    Mock all you want; look into it. He truly IS a Nazi, based upon his activity during World War II.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •