Page 1 of 34 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Continue(ance)

Our last thread ended with Handy saying:
    Dude your little love affair with the 2nd Amendment is ridiculous. There are way more important issues and standards than what a Justice thinks about guns.

Garland was a guy Republicans liked until Obama liked him. Just because he doesnt get alll tingly when he strokes an Uzi should have zero to do with whether he can be on the SC.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Lucia Apologist

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

The only reason Garland didn't get a vote was because he was nominated by Blackpoleon Blackaparte.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The only reason Garland didn't get a vote was because he was nominated by Blackpoleon Blackaparte.
    Bingo.

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

What happened to Blackula?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Lucia Apologist

First term

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...partisanship.

Sounds like the next Hamilton to me! Mike Pence should probably not attend
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...partisanship.
    The kind of partisanship that says Obama was secretly a Muslim from Kenya trying to establish a caliphate in the US, maybe.

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Last I heard, this was still going to be blocked by the Senate...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Putting Garland's nomination aside, would anyone on here be very upset with the balance if Gorsuch is confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Putting Garland's nomination aside, would anyone on here be very upset with the balance if Gorsuch is confirmed?
    What is with you and this balance? Nothing says it has to be 5-4 conservative for Christ sake. As someone already said, Scalia replaced burger. You'd have no issue with a fundie zealot replacing Ginsburg

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    What is with you and this balance? Nothing says it has to be 5-4 conservative for Christ sake. As someone already said, Scalia replaced burger. You'd have no issue with a fundie zealot replacing Ginsburg
    That's actually a good test. If a liberal dies, would Drew oppose a conservative judge?

Well, Drew?

That's actually a good test. If a liberal dies, would Drew oppose a conservative judge?

Well, Drew?
    Absolutely. I actually think Garland would be a good replacement for Ginsburg or Breyer if they were to get done during Trump's administration. I don't want to see Roe V Wade overturned.

Internet Nutcase

Absolutely. I actually think Garland would be a good replacement for Ginsburg or Breyer if they were to get done during Trump's administration. I don't want to see Roe V Wade overturned.
    your president and GOP congress does, and I don't think they will nominate someone like Garland to replace Ginsburg (May she live to be 120, Flying Spaghetti Monster willing). They won't be happy until they have a one sided court.

Garland wasn't going to take your guns away. At some point you need to step back into reality and give a **** about something else besides guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    your president and GOP congress does, and I don't think they will nominate someone like Garland to replace Ginsburg (May she live to be 120, Flying Spaghetti Monster willing). They won't be happy until they have a one sided court.

Garland wasn't going to take your guns away. At some point you need to step back into reality and give a **** about something else besides guns.
    Trump could care less and it's not going to happen. He's pro abortion anyway. I don't want a one sided court, either way. If Garland replaced Scalia it would very much have been one sided.

The makeup is 4-4 anyone would unbalance the Court.

Garland, who was named by GOP Senators as a good candidate up until the rumor started he would be nominated by Obama, would have unbalanced the court liberal though...that is your contention? Besides guns how can you possibly justify that belief?

I have a question for Rube if he reads this thread. Leaving aside the "two wrongs dont make a right" idea, if the Senate Dems decided to block the nomination (GOP style) and obstruct would you defend their right to do so? Obstructionism, as we have seen for the last 6 years is a perfectly legal method to gum up the works and make sure nothing gets done and even though it is annoying as hell.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    The makeup is 4-4 anyone would unbalance the Court.

Garland, who was named by GOP Senators as a good candidate up until the rumor started he would be nominated by Obama, would have unbalanced the court liberal though...that is your contention? Besides guns how can you possibly justify that belief?

I have a question for Rube if he reads this thread. Leaving aside the "two wrongs dont make a right" idea, if the Senate Dems decided to block the nomination (GOP style) and obstruct would you defend their right to do so? Obstructionism, as we have seen for the last 6 years is a perfectly legal method to gum up the works and make sure nothing gets done and even though it is annoying as hell.
    It's very borderline 4-4 though. It is by no means a given Kennedy will side with the conservatives, and Roberts can flip as well. The four liberal judges almost never flip.

I believe there is nothing that says there needs to be nine justices. Trump could let it get down to five or nominate 10 new justices right now if he wanted to.

And this is why elections matter and it's why the Republicans win. Trump has shat on the Statue and the Constitution all week but with this pick he is revered. Obama pleaded with the public on the campaign trail that his legacy was on the line and people didn't vote. They'll protest at Chuck Schumer's home, but they won't vote.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

I believe there is nothing that says there needs to be nine justices.
    Acts of Congress determine the maximum number of Justices.

The U.S. Constitution established the Supreme Court but left it to Congress to decide how many justices should make up the court. The Judiciary Act of 1789 set the number at six: a chief justice and five associate justices. In 1807, Congress increased the number of justices to seven; in 1837, the number was bumped up to nine; and in 1863, it rose to 10. In 1866, Congress passed the Judicial Circuits Act, which shrank the number of justices back down to seven and prevented President Andrew Johnson from appointing anyone new to the court. Three years later, in 1869, Congress raised the number of justices to nine, where it has stood ever since. In 1937, in an effort to create a court more friendly to his New Deal programs, President Franklin Roosevelt attempted to convince Congress to pass legislation that would allow a new justice to be added to the court—for a total of up to 15 members—for every justice over 70 who opted not to retire. Congress didn’t go for FDR’s plan.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Gorsuch is one of those judges whose writing consistently sets limits on Executive Power, and restricts interpretation of vaguely-worded criminal statutes that might inadvertently trap innocent people.

That seems like a good thing, no?

if a judge's role is to interpret existing law, why would his personal politics matter at all?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Thread Information