Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536

Thread: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Outside of Washington, DC is a monument erected by the city of Bladensburg, MD to their WW I dead in the shape of a large granite cross. The location is known as Peace Cross and has been since the monument went up. It is a DC landmark.

As you can guess, some organization, the American Humanist Society in this case, was offended and sued. The District Court agreed. The American Legion who now "owns" the cross is thinking of appealing to SCOUTS.

If the cross must come down, does every cross and star on every grave in every military cemetery have to come down too??

Just a boring user.

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Outside of Washington, DC is a monument erected by the city of Bladensburg, MD to their WW I dead in the shape of a large granite cross. The location is known as Peace Cross and has been since the monument went up. It is a DC landmark.

As you can guess, some organization, the American Humanist Society in this case, was offended and sued. The District Court agreed. The American Legion who now "owns" the cross is thinking of appealing to SCOUTS.

If the cross must come down, does every cross and star on every grave in every military cemetery have to come down too??
    One should note the WHY it was told to come down. It's a cross.

The only group of people that use a cross as representation is christianity. So the monument, which is supposed to honor the WWI dead, is a big display of christianity. Which is illegal for any US government entity to do.

Funny to honor just ONE religion of the people who fought and died in WWI, IMHO.

Take the cross down, replace it with something that does not represent a religion, and everyone will be fine.

This isn't about honoring WWI dead, it's about honoring only one religion's dead based on the monument. So a simple solution would be to take the two arms off and just make it an obelisk. Done.

It's also amusing to see that republicans can be so offended so quickly over constitutional items. Oh, wait, this is to violate it instead of forcing guns to not violate it.

Either defend the WHOLE constitution or not. Can't pick and choose the parts you like.
    Last edited by alfablue; 10-18-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Nice scare tactic...you know the difference between a cemetery and a monument right?

Mind you the monument should stay up (as long as the Humanists are allowed to have a monument too if they choose) but your snowflaking on this crap is weak.

Let me ask you something...what if it is proven a Jew fought in WWI out of Maryland and his family feels he was not properly represented by a Cross? Does that matter? Isnt it fun when you pose complete hypotheticals to try and put forth your agenda?!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post

This isn't about honoring WWI dead, it's about honoring only one religion's dead based on the monument. So a simple solution would be to take the two arms off and just make it an obelisk. Done.
    How about the statue of a soldier...they could have done anything. They chose a cross for a reason. A reason joe completely backs mind you.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

No.

That was easy.

there's a good buck in that racket.

Mookie wants a lawyer dog to walk at night....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...az_most&wpmk=1

Lucia Apologist

Interesting case heading to the SCOTUS from Minnesota:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...KBN1DD1S8?il=0

(Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court agreed on Monday to hear a conservative group’s free speech challenge to a Minnesota law prohibiting voters from wearing T-shirts or other apparel adorned with overtly political messages inside polling stations.

A group called the Minnesota Voters Alliance is appealing a lower court’s decision to uphold the law, which forbids political badges, buttons or other insignia inside polling places during primary or general elections. State election officials have interpreted the law as also barring campaign literature and material from groups with political views such as the conservative Tea Party movement or the liberal MoveOn.org.

Violators are asked to cover up or remove offending items, but officials are instructed not to actually bar anyone from voting.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

By all that's holy please keep that ban in place. I do not want to know how dumb my neighbors are.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    By all that's holy please keep that ban in place. I do not want to know how dumb my neighbors are.
    Agreed. Leave your sloganeering apparel at home on Election Day, please.

Of course, these are inevitably the people whose cars are plastered with the usual bumperstickers.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Of course, these are inevitably the people whose cars are plastered with the usual bumperstickers.
    Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Go on.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Yes, I meant both sides, smartypants. I can't stand anyone who puts sloganeering bumperstickers on their car. It's basically a flashing advertisement for, "I am a lofo voter who doesn't use my brain."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Agreed. Leave your sloganeering apparel at home on Election Day, please.

Eh, doesn't bother me. There is a circular lawn in front of my polling place and there were at least 100 signs on it last year for the election (obviously none inside).

Ban any active campaigning for sure, but I don't really have an issue with clothing.

Thread Information