Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Does that include ... partial birth ...
    Birthing, like pregnancy, is a yes or no proposition. Either you're born, or not. There's no partial pregnancy and there's no partial birth.

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Don't bring Roe v. Wade into this ... < you'll just have to imagine my simpering smirk here >
    < And my eye rolling. >
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-26-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Kichizapi Chetan

Re: Power of the SCOTUS IX: The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the SCOTUS nine that day

Um, ... OK. But ...

Where does the term "partial-birth" abortion come from?

The term was first coined by the National Right to Life Committee (NRLC) in 1995 to describe a recently introduced medical procedure to remove fetuses from the womb. Alternately known as "dilation and extraction," or D&X, and "intact D&E," it involves removing the fetus intact by dilating a pregnant woman's cervix, then pulling the entire body out through the birth canal.
    http://www.npr.org/2006/02/21/516816...fact-from-spin

Intact, through the birth canal.
    Um ... if it has a pulse, isn't it a citizen at that point, by your lawyering?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Um, ... OK. But ...

They aren't issued a birth certificate, so no, they're not.

Um, ... OK. But ...

No because it has had his/her spinal cord snipped then the corpse is dragged out of the mother. If the doc did the snipping after the baby had been completely ejected from the mother, it would be murder. But because part of the baby remains inside the mother, there is a gray area in the law that permits this abomination.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016.

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Kichizapi Chetan

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    They aren't issued a birth certificate, so no, they're not.
    Uh, but you said ...

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Since citizenship is granted at birth, you're not a citizen until then. (Boom, lawyered).
    Birth is not a birth certificate. One is biologic; one is administrative. So, my fair esquire, which is it, birth, or paperwork? Does that mass have no citizen rights until an MD scribbles on paper? And remember, sometimes it takes days (weeks) to get that birth certificate. What of that mass in the intervening time? Disposable?
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

lubba wubba dub dub

I know there's a separate thread for this part of the discussion.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Five Thousand Candles in the Wind!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No because it has had his/her spinal cord snipped then the corpse is dragged out of the mother. If the doc did the snipping after the baby had been completely ejected from the mother, it would be murder. But because part of the baby remains inside the mother, there is a gray area in the law that permits this abomination.
    If only you showed the same outrage for people that arent babies that died...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I know there's a separate thread for this part of the discussion.
    And here it is.
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Uh, but you said ...

Birth is not a birth certificate. One is biologic; one is administrative. So, my fair esquire, which is it, birth, or paperwork? Does that mass have no citizen rights until an MD scribbles on paper? And remember, sometimes it takes days (weeks) to get that birth certificate. What of that mass in the intervening time? Disposable?
    If a child dies one minute after birth, they will still be issued a birth (and death) certificate. Since aborted babies are never born, they are never issued a birth certificate. The lack of a birth certificate is proof they weren't born, a necessary requirement for getting birthright citizenship.

Again, it's a binary function, just like the mother's pregnancy.

Put another way, my daughter's head crowned about ten minutes before she popped all the way out. The time on her birth certificate isn't when she entered the birth canal, but when she popped all the way out.
    Last edited by unofan; Yesterday at 06:57 AM.

Don't bring Roe v. Wade into this ...
    I thought that, for all practical purposes, SCOTUS had tacitly "rescinded" [in effect, not literally] the reasoning from Roe v Wade and pretty much re-wrote the whole subject matter in Casey v Planned Parenthood ??
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    I thought that, for all practical purposes, SCOTUS had tacitly "rescinded" [in effect, not literally] the reasoning from Roe v Wade and pretty much re-wrote the whole subject matter in Casey v Planned Parenthood ??
    Yes. Casey is the real precedent now. It is now the CW among everyone, left, right or center, that Roe, although vital for articulating the Griswold right of privacy that underlies all other rights, was on its other points wrongly argued.

Casey's more important effect however has been nefarious. It gives the Thumpers the ability to continually challenge and erode reproductive rights as long as these "exceptions" meet state compelling interest. On the face of it that makes sense since no right is absolute (except apparently the 2nd...) but in practice the Usual Suspect states have introduced all sorts of bizarre and disgusting restraints on women and the conservative majority Court has meekly upheld them. It's as if after Brown v Board the Court amended the decision, and afterwards Mississippi and Alabama passed laws saying state-mandated segregation was permissible in hospitals... and restaurants... and, eventually, schools.

As always, unofan will tell me if I'm lying, since I'm arguing from memories of Con Law.
    Last edited by Kepler; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Thread Information