Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penn St at Minnesota - February 3-4

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Can't ask for a better game plan execution by the Gophers than that one. Shutdown play by the D and some nice chemistry on the Sheehy/Kloos/Pitlick line. They looked very good tonight and they're peaking at the right time. Fun game to watch.
    Totally agree, the team continues to get better, especially defensively - both at the blue line and in goal. I would argue, however, that the play on the ice was quite a bit closer than the 5-1 score would indicate. Penn State barely missed on a half-dozen excellent chances, and on any given night several of those could have easily gone in. Still, there is no doubt that the Gophers were the better team and deserved to win the game. Now let's see if the Gophs can do it again tomorrow.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Gophers did exactly what they needed to do in their zone, crowd the lanes, keep shots on the perimeter and block shots. The Gophers avg. about 11 Blks/GM, but last night they had 19, PSU 9. Seems like PSU has been good all season protecting the paint, but not last night. They let the Gophers roam around the shooting lanes which accounted for 3 of their 5 goals. Gadowsky will make sure that doesn't happen tonight. Could be a long night for the Maroon and Gold if they don't duplicate last night's effort.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        The Gophers did exactly what they needed to do in their zone, crowd the lanes, keep shots on the perimeter and block shots. The Gophers avg. about 11 Blks/GM, but last night they had 19, PSU 9. Seems like PSU has been good all season protecting the paint, but not last night. They let the Gophers roam around the shooting lanes which accounted for 3 of their 5 goals. Gadowsky will make sure that doesn't happen tonight. Could be a long night for the Maroon and Gold if they don't duplicate last night's effort.
        Good to see Scheirhorn didn't display his recent Friday night form and as I mentioned in the season thread, Cammie was noticeable for a few of the type of passes that impressed us when he was a freshman, and not for his lack of effort.

Hoping it is a good game, as I am taking the family to watch tonight. Hope there is another solid effort and victory for Gophs tonight, and would be fine if it is closer in scoring. (I agree with earlier assessment. Gophs were better team overall, but was closer than score indicated. A close shot goes in for PSU and it could have been a different game.)

Comment

Well I have been saying it all year. Penn st schedule was weak. now they actually have to play good teams! They are losing. watch the slide folks!
          Norte dame was ranked but now we no they suck. good luck with ohio st and wisco!
          Gophers: The time is NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

"Top three finish in the WCHA! Get into the NCAAs, take a swing and see what happens." Don Lucia

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Penn State barely missed on a half-dozen excellent chances, and on any given night several of those could have easily gone in..
            LOL. You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, guess which will fill up first?

I would argue, however, that the play on the ice was quite a bit closer than the 5-1 score would indicate.
            I would argue the opposite. PSU is incredibly overrated. This is the first real road test they've faced all year and the game was over five minutes into the second period. PSU has played no one all year and in true Guy Gadowsky fashion, they put a lot of pucks on the net but play terrible defense. Not exactly a recipe for postseason success.

PSU will be one and done in the tournament and they deserve it. What a cowardly schedule. Non hockey reference here, but Mike Brey and Jim Boeheim think Gadowsky's schedule is cowardly.
            Last edited by Dirty Dream No. 2; 02-04-2017, 02:40 PM.
            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              Good to see Scheirhorn didn't display his recent Friday night form and as I mentioned in the season thread, Cammie was noticeable for a few of the type of passes that impressed us when he was a freshman, and not for his lack of effort.

Hoping it is a good game, as I am taking the family to watch tonight. Hope there is another solid effort and victory for Gophs tonight, and would be fine if it is closer in scoring. (I agree with earlier assessment. Gophs were better team overall, but was closer than score indicated. A close shot goes in for PSU and it could have been a different game.)
              You picked a good game to see some entertaining Gopher hockey. As expected PSU came out with a lot of energy. I thought the D were a little shaky from the puck drop, but they settled down and kept a lot of shots on the perimeter. I agree Cammarata has had a tough college hockey career, but this series he played more inspired hockey than I've seen from him in the past, especially tonight. A real positive for me was although the top line didn't click, the other lines stepped up and Bristedt's hatty shows this team has some scoring depth. Nice bump in PWR for the Gophs, who now have a good shot at a #1 seed in the Regionals if they stay on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                LOL. You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, guess which will fill up first?

I would argue the opposite. PSU is incredibly overrated. This is the first real road test they've faced all year and the game was over five minutes into the second period. PSU has played no one all year and in true Guy Gadowsky fashion, they put a lot of pucks on the net but play terrible defense. Not exactly a recipe for postseason success.

PSU will be one and done in the tournament and they deserve it. What a cowardly schedule. Non hockey reference here, but Mike Brey and Jim Boeheim think Gadowsky's schedule is cowardly.
                Who is your team again, Baby Huey?

Comment

Question for PSU fans, this is the first time I've seen them play this season.

Despite their size PSU doesn't seem to play a "big" game. With the size of their forwards I would think PSU would would throw their weight around more in the corners & in front of the net. Was this weekend atypical? Maybe due to playing on the ocean at Mariucci?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    Question for PSU fans, this is the first time I've seen them play this season.

Despite their size PSU doesn't seem to play a "big" game. With the size of their forwards I would think PSU would would throw their weight around more in the corners & in front of the net. Was this weekend atypical? Maybe due to playing on the ocean at Mariucci?
                    You would sure think so, and I would expect you'll see them be much more physical when they play the Gophers on the smaller surface at home in a couple of weeks. That said, I think I saw more bone-crushing perfectly legal checks into the boards this weekend - both ways - than I have at Mariucci all season.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Who is your team again, Baby Huey?
                      Truth hurts, huh?
                      CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                        Truth hurts, huh?
                        No - discovering you've got nothing didn't hurt.

Comment

Re: Penn St at Minnesota - February 17-18

Anyone want to start a new thread or should we just recycle this one from a couple weeks ago?
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Re: Penn St at Minnesota - February 17-18

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Anyone want to start a new thread or should we just recycle this one from a couple weeks ago?
                            I'll start one Wes. Big series this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X