Atlantic Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey

I can't stand the "everyone gets an invite" tournament model. Smacks of "everyone gets a trophy." Nevermind that it also diminishes the point of playing a regular season, and eliminates any excitement to the end of the regular season for the bottom dwellers.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

We all know it's not about the excitement. It's about the $$$$$'s.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosmo King View Post
        We all know it's not about the excitement. It's about the $$$$$'s.
        If the students are on vacation, there is no excitement and no $$.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
          I can't stand the "everyone gets an invite" tournament model. Smacks of "everyone gets a trophy." Nevermind that it also diminishes the point of playing a regular season, and eliminates any excitement to the end of the regular season for the bottom dwellers.
          Historical question: has an AHC regular season bottom dweller ever made it to the tourney?

Comment

Not even remotely the same.

Making the conference tournament is not a reward for good play. It's a method of determining the conference champion. That's all. Every team has a shot at it, weighted by their performance in the regular season.

The regular season is still vitally important, as seeding matters and every team wants a home series.

The end of the regular season is still very exciting as teams jockey for playoff position and try to enter the tournament on a roll. A team eliminated from the postseason with three weeks to go is one that has nothing to play for.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Atlantic Hockey and HEA should get together and form a relegation system? UMasssssss gets replaced by Air Force next year, and so on and so forth.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                Atlantic Hockey and HEA should get together and form a relegation system? UMasssssss gets replaced by Air Force next year, and so on and so forth.

r
                Love this.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Not even remotely the same.

Making the conference tournament is not a reward for good play. It's a method of determining the conference champion. That's all. Every team has a shot at it, weighted by their performance in the regular season.

The regular season is still vitally important, as seeding matters and every team wants a home series.

The end of the regular season is still very exciting as teams jockey for playoff position and try to enter the tournament on a roll. A team eliminated from the postseason with three weeks to go is one that has nothing to play for.

Powers &8^]
                  Are you saying that a game that determines the 9 vs. 10 seed is just as exciting as the game that determines 8 vs. playing golf at the local municipal course next weekend? A 10 seed doesn't deserve the chance to even compete for a conference championship. And buckle up for the riveting excitement that comes from teams "trying to enter the tournament on a roll"? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
                    HEA just happy to be rid of Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Historical question: has an AHC regular season bottom dweller ever made it to the tourney?
                      No
                      Without looking it up, I don't remember any team seeded below 5th or 6th winning the championship (RIT won from the 5 seed in 2016). I do know the last place team has not won yet.
                      Can't we all just get along?
                      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Are you saying that a game that determines the 9 vs. 10 seed is just as exciting as the game that determines 8 vs. playing golf at the local municipal course next weekend?
                        Maybe not. But what you're missing is that the elimination game still takes place; it just takes place during the tournament. So the "game that determines the 9 vs. 10 seed" is in addition to the game that will send one team to the golf course. That's more excitement, more meaningful games. Win-win.

I also note you failed to address the early-elimination problem.

A 10 seed doesn't deserve the chance to even compete for a conference championship.
                        Why?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                          No
                          Without looking it up, I don't remember any team seeded below 5th or 6th winning the championship (RIT won from the 5 seed in 2016). I do know the last place team has not won yet.
                          Thanks, TigersFan. I remembered that your team came from 5th in 2016 to win it all, but I am still racking my brain for a team(s) that even made it to the tourney from near the bottom; must be a few, I would think.

Comment

Thanks, TigersFan. I remembered that your team came from 5th in 2016 to win it all, but I am still racking my brain for a team(s) that even made it to the tourney from near the bottom; must be a few, I would think.
                            Now I've looked it up. In MAAC / Atlantic Hockey history, the championships by seed are as follows:
                            # 1 seed - 7 times (none since 2011-12 - NU)
                            # 2 seed - 5 times (only one since 2010-11 - AFA this year)
                            # 3 seed - 2 times
                            # 4 seed - 1 time (1999-2000 - UConn)
                            # 5 seed - 3 times (twice in the last four years - 2016 RIT & 2014 RMU)
                            # 6 seed - 0
                            # 7 seed - 1 time (Canisius in 2012-13, also the only year AHC earned an at-large - NU)
                            # 8 and up - 0

A few lower seeds have reached the BCA (and wherever the final four was held back in the MAAC days), but only Canisius won out.
                            Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                              Now I've looked it up. In MAAC / Atlantic Hockey history, the championships by seed are as follows:
                              # 1 seed - 7 times (none since 2011-12 - NU)
                              # 2 seed - 5 times (only one since 2010-11 - AFA this year)
                              # 3 seed - 2 times
                              # 4 seed - 1 time (1999-2000 - UConn)
                              # 5 seed - 3 times (twice in the last four years - 2016 RIT & 2014 RMU)
                              # 6 seed - 0
                              # 7 seed - 1 time (Canisius in 2012-13, also the only year AHC earned an at-large - NU)
                              # 8 and up - 0

A few lower seeds have reached the BCA (and wherever the final four was held back in the MAAC days), but only Canisius won out.
                              Oh, that's right about 2012-2013! I think that if RMU had prevailed in the AHC tourney this season, Air Force may have squeaked in as an at-large).

Comment

I think that if RMU had prevailed in the AHC tourney this season, Air Force may have squeaked in as an at-large).
                                Air Force would have been 15th in the PWR if they had lost the AHC final. With Robert Morris and Michigan Tech as auto-bids, only the top 14 teams would have made the tournament.

Cite: I had the same question. https://www.reddit.com/r/collegehock...out_air_force/

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X