Atlantic Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atlantic Hockey

Read your post and took to the final sentence to realize the biggest item i had overlooked, the un-balanced schedule due to uneven and unequal number of teams. You are absolutely correct it very well might make a drastic situation where a team does get through or does not get through with the top 8 scenario only due to luck in scheduling.

Personally i still like a top 8, but with 11 teams do not know how to make it work.

I still do not know if everyone in particularly makes people/teams accountable.

More thoughts welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
      I think this is a really interesting post, and it is definitely something I have thought about before. Ever since I started following Bentley and College Hockey 3 years ago, I thought the Atlantic Hockey playoff format was kind of strange. I think there are both good and bad aspects of everyone getting a playoff spot. While it may seem noncompetitive in nature, I think it actually increases competition within Atlantic Hockey. By keeping everyone in it, it encourages teams that the season really isn't over until it's actually over, and if you can keep fighting and gaining momentum any team in the conference can make that push to Rochester. In an 8 team playoff, Niagara might as well have given up weeks ago, but since they still have a chance they are fighting every weekend to get better (they took 3rd place Army to OT this past weekend). And who knows, maybe they can start putting things together and make a run. I also think with all the byes that an 11 team playoff provides, teams are fighting that much harder in the regular season to get into that illustrious top 5.

I also think that one of the biggest themes in the AHA is that any team can win on any given night, just like AICJacketsVoice said a few posts earlier. In a way, this makes the playoffs that much more exciting, in that an underdog can pull off a huge upset in the playoffs. I also think that this can be a bad thing, in that a team like Canisius or AF can get knocked by a team that is perhaps not quite as deserving based on their regular seasons. For example, possibly the best goaltender in the NCAA this season has been Charles Williams, and he could have one bad night against the 9 seed in the quarterfinals, and just like that his incredible senior season is over. I specifically remember 2 years ago, Bentley played Mercyhurst at home in the 4-5 seed matchup. The series went to 3 games, the first of which was decided in overtime, and the Falcons DECIDEDLY outplayed the Lakers all 3 nights yet came away with nothing. I even remember walking out of the JAR that Sunday night looking at the Mercyhurst fans, and they basically gave us a shrug saying, "We have no idea how we won this series." Hurst went onto the finals that year, only to fall to the Tigers in the championship game 5-1. We had a really talented group of seniors that year, and they were devastated to lose the way they did. Doesn't really say much towards an 8 team playoff or 11 team, but just goes to show how anything can happen in the playoffs.

Anyways, I like the current format and until the league becomes a little more competitive/possibly if more teams start to make the NCAA tourney without the AHA exemption, they should stick to the format to let everybody have a chance. Also with 11 teams and the way the inter-division series works (playing some teams 4 times), a tough schedule can really hurt a team in the standings and could punish a team that deserves a spot in an 8 team playoff.
      I think the everybody gets in the playoffs scheme lessens the regular season. I agree with your premise that top to bottom any team can beat any other team because of the parity of the league. Niagara should of beaten Army the other night and had a great chance to put it away in overtime. I was there. We see examples of teams experimenting with different lineups, pulling goalies way early, and other game time strategies that they might not make if they were trying to win the league championship. I think most coaches of Atlantic Hockey teams use the regular season to prepare for the playoffs. Until the league regularly receives at large bids I think coaches will use the regular season as a pre--season to the real season that counts, the playoffs.
      Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

If a league had 16 teams like the old ECAC before Hockey East formed then setting an 8 team playoff made sense. However with byes for the top 4 or 5, with up to 12 teams it is best to include everyone. With best of three series it is almost impossible for the very bottom teams to advance far needing to take 2 series on the road and then face the highest seed in the semifinals. Mid level teams do advance and often are the hottest teams and represent the league well in the NCAA's if they advance. Usually they at least have the first series at home. I don't like leaving out only 2 or 3 teams. Hockey East did that and returned to the all in format after a short trial.

Canisius has locked up at least second now with their win over Niagara tonight. Only Air Force can catch them. Army can still get second but no longer first.

Comment

One weekend to go and still lots to be determined. Canisius, Air Force and Army have locked up 3 of the 5 byes. Canisius and Air force will be either 1st or 2nd. Army either 3rd or 4th. RMU while in excellent shape for one of the other byes could still fall to 6th. Holy Cross, Mercyhurst and Bentley are all still alive for a bye. Not sure if Bentley has locked up home ice yet as they still could fall into a tie with Sacred Heart if they lose twice and with a Sacred Heart sweep of Air Force and possibly RIT for the last home ice spot. Sacred Heart could pass RIT for that too but it would take getting at least 3 points from Air Force in the high altitude so their chances are somewhat dim for getting out of an away series especially since Air Force is in a position to get an at large NCAA bid should they win out and lose in the AHC championship game or even semifinal. SH could still fall below AIC too which will finish 9 or 10. Niagara will be 11th.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
            One weekend to go and still lots to be determined. Canisius, Air Force and Army have locked up 3 of the 5 byes. Canisius and Air force will be either 1st or 2nd. Army either 3rd or 4th. RMU while in excellent shape for one of the other byes could still fall to 6th. Holy Cross, Mercyhurst and Bentley are all still alive for a bye. Not sure if Bentley has locked up home ice yet as they still could fall into a tie with Sacred Heart if they lose twice and with a Sacred Heart sweep of Air Force and possibly RIT for the last home ice spot. Sacred Heart could pass RIT for that too but it would take getting at least 3 points from Air Force in the high altitude so their chances are somewhat dim for getting out of an away series especially since Air Force is in a position to get an at large NCAA bid should they win out and lose in the AHC championship game or even semifinal. SH could still fall below AIC too which will finish 9 or 10. Niagara will be 11th.
            I do not think that there is any way that Air Force could get an at-large bid at this point, as very few possible pair wins remain, if any, going into the AHC tournament. Even years when the AHC had a team ranked as high as 12th in the PWR at this point in season, that team could not maintain the ranking with so few pairs remaining to be won.

Comment

Are we in for a great final week of games or what? The 5th coveted play-off ranking still up for grabs and a multitude of teams chasing that first round bye. It has been said many times parity in this conference is at an all-time high and viewing the last few weekend game results the up-coming play-offs are looking to be tremendously entertaining.

Canisius > 27 GP, 40 Pts
              Air Force > 26 GP, 39 Pts
              Army > 26 GP, 32 Pts

Robert Morris > 26 GP, 29 Pts
              Holy Cross > 26 GP, 26 Pts
              Mercyhurst > 26 GP, 26 Pts
              Bentley > 26 GP, 25 Pts

RIT > 27 GP, 24 Pts
              Sacred Heart > 26 GP, 21 Pts
              American International > 26 GP, 18 Pts
              Niagara > 26 GP, 8 Pts

Tough to predict who has the advantage for taking the final 5th spot, most teams are stepping up to the plate these final days rather than faltering down the stretch.

Robert Morris has to be the odds on favorite to finish 4th or fifth so I will pencil them in for one of the two remaining play-off berths, leaves Holy Cross, Bentley & Mercyhurst with the inside shot at the final play-off spot.

Holy Cross travels to Bentley to wrap up the season, Mercyhurst travels to play Canisius & home versus RIT. Too many scenarios to work out, RIT looks to be out of contention seeing no matter what scenario the Bentley & Holy Cross matchup ends with it eliminates any possibility of RIT to get the bye.

It is exciting to see teams playing some of their best hockey down the stretch, it garners a healthy respect for each other and sure makes for an exciting finish.

Comment

Lay it on the line...........

If I am not mistaken the 2016 / 2017 regular season for Atlantic Hockey will come to end Sunday February 26th.

Remaining games:

Thursday, February 23, 2017
                7:05 ET Army West Point @ American International
                7:35 ET Mercyhurst @ Canisius

Friday, February 24, 2017
                7:05 MT Sacred Heart @ Air Force
                7:05 ET Holy Cross @ Bentley

Saturday, February 25, 2017
                5:05 MT Sacred Heart @ (17) Air Force
                7:05 ET American International @ Army West Point
                7:05 ET Holy Cross @ Bentley
                7:05 ET RIT @ Mercyhurst
                7:05 ET Robert Morris @ Niagara

Sunday, February 26, 2017
                7:05 ET Niagara vs. Robert Morris

Will be down to the wire, congratulations to every team on their seasons.

Comment

Any early prognostications for 2017-2018 season?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Any early prognostications for 2017-2018 season?
                    Everything depends on how good the replacement goaltenders are for Air Force and RIT.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Everything depends on how good the replacement goaltenders are for Air Force and RIT.

Powers &8^]
                      Not to mention the replacement goaltenders for the two outstanding ones who graduated from Canisius and Army. I think Robert Morris will be the preseason coaches and poll pick. They came on strong at the end and have a solid team returning although losing a top scorer.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                        Not to mention the replacement goaltenders for the two outstanding ones who graduated from Canisius and Army.
                        You're right; I forgot about Canisius and didn't think to check if Army's goaltender was graduating or not.

Powers &8^]

Comment

What we do know is Sacred Heart has lost 10 players in total, accounting for 56 goals 79 assist and 135 points from their overall conference stats from which i reviewed from college stats. The subset of four (4) top players in that total of ten (10) (Forwards Justin Danforth, Jordan Minello, Even Jasper, defenseman Mitch Nylan)) amassed 41 goals with 61 assists. That overall total is more than double of any other team in Atlantic Hockey this season, so while recruits can come in and make an instant impact it is a large deficit to overcome. I have witnessed teams in the past have large numbers of players replaced and did extremely well, until recruits are known it is just some facts to take into account.

We also have four teams with large goal tending concerns to deal with in Air Force, Army, RIT and Canisius.

I have compiled a list of all Atlantic teams with offence lost, players lost and together with regular season standings and new recruits will be in position to make predictions. I do have a preliminary ranking for next season but a little too early to divulge.
                          Last edited by Blitz; 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                            What we do know is Sacred Heart has lost 10 players in total, accounting for 56 goals and 135 assists from their overall conference stats from which i reviewed from college stats. The subset of four (4) top players in that total of ten (10) (Forwards Justin Danforth, Jordan Minello, Even Jasper, defenseman Mitch Nylan)) amassed 41 goals with 61 assists. That overall total is more than double of any other team in Atlantic Hockey this season, so while recruits can come in and make an instant impact it is a large deficit to overcome. I have witnessed teams in the past have large numbers of players replaced and did extremely well, until recruits are known it is just some facts to take into account.

We also have four teams with large goal tending concerns to deal with in Air Force, Army, RIT and Canisius.

I have compiled a list of all Atlantic teams with offence lost, players lost and together with regular season standings and new recruits will be in position to make predictions. I do have a preliminary ranking for next season but a little too early to divulge.
                            Good points about Sacred Heart, Blitz. I made similar comments in the Bentley season thread when the Falcons hosted Sacred Heart in the first round.

I think that you should volunteer to write a few sentences for the AHC schools as they come up in the new Greatest Programs thread when FightingSioux23 launches it (his earlier thread just closed out with 1000 posts as he updates his stats, and the AHC volunteer position was still up for grabs).

Comment

Snively65 thanks for the kind words, seeing some past feedback from this site I think there are a multitude or astute gentlemen who would contribute much more by way of Atlantic Hockey. I tend to stay off of posting on this site, although from time to time passion overwhelms me and next thing I know I am in print (laughing out loud).

I take it your Atlantic team is Bentley by your post, you should let us know what your thoughts on next season. A big plus motivation wise should be the new facility, would love to get out there however at a 9 hour drive I have to time things out right. It is my wish to visit all Atlantic arena’s at some point, so keeping abreast of the building progress to figure out my travel plans!

I am likely completely off track here on Bentley but I see two (2) large items to address this coming season. Overall Bentley loses 5 players with 25 goals with 34 assists for a total of 59 points, not too excessive except for the fact of losing such a player in Mr. French with a whopping 38GP, 17G, 22 A for 39 points. That total from one player is doubly difficult to replace, with improving dividends from existing players, scoring by committee or recruits that number has to be chipped away at somehow. The second as important concern is the plus / minus across the team, will need to tighten that up to get on top of those single goal games throughout the season.

Cheers,
                              Blitz

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                                Snively65 thanks for the kind words, seeing some past feedback from this site I think there are a multitude or astute gentlemen who would contribute much more by way of Atlantic Hockey. I tend to stay off of posting on this site, although from time to time passion overwhelms me and next thing I know I am in print (laughing out loud).

I take it your Atlantic team is Bentley by your post, you should let us know what your thoughts on next season. A big plus motivation wise should be the new facility, would love to get out there however at a 9 hour drive I have to time things out right. It is my wish to visit all Atlantic arena’s at some point, so keeping abreast of the building progress to figure out my travel plans!

I am likely completely off track here on Bentley but I see two (2) large items to address this coming season. Overall Bentley loses 5 players with 25 goals with 34 assists for a total of 59 points, not too excessive except for the fact of losing such a player in Mr. French with a whopping 38GP, 17G, 22 A for 39 points. That total from one player is doubly difficult to replace, with improving dividends from existing players, scoring by committee or recruits that number has to be chipped away at somehow. The second as important concern is the plus / minus across the team, will need to tighten that up to get on top of those single goal games throughout the season.

Cheers,
                                Blitz
                                Ok, Blitz, I will help out FS23 with his AHC entries.

Yes, you should hold off until second semester before driving East, so you can catch a Bentley game in the new on-campus arena. RIT fan Blazer777 really likes the pizza at the JAR, but most of us avoid it like the plague. :-)
                                Last edited by Snively65; 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X