This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    No it was time for him to go. But if we continue to suck and he goes somewhere and wins, we are definitely going to LOOK like azzholes. Lol.
    How did he look at lowell?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      How did he look at lowell?
      Coach Whitehead had a 61-73-9 (0.458) record in his 4 seasons at UML. However, at that time Lowell was was not committed to winning like Maine was. Coach Crowder was 114-96-21 (0.539) in the 5 seasons before and Coach MacDonald was 148-179-46 (0.458) in the 10 seasons after (he was 67-66-23 (0.503) his first 4 seasons and 81-86-25 (0.487) in his first 5 seasons). It was only when UML hired Coach Bazin that they also truly invested in the hockey program as UML's NCAA financials show. Maine has been investing a lot in hockey, especially in recruiting in 2014-15 & 15-16, but overall UML has spent more since Coach Bazin was hired.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        Coach Whitehead had a 61-73-9 (0.458) record in his 4 seasons at UML. However, at that time Lowell was was not committed to winning like Maine was. Coach Crowder was 114-96-21 (0.539) in the 5 seasons before and Coach MacDonald was 148-179-46 (0.458) in the 10 seasons after (he was 67-66-23 (0.503) his first 4 seasons and 81-86-25 (0.487) in his first 5 seasons). It was only when UML hired Coach Bazin that they also truly invested in the hockey program as UML's NCAA financials show. Maine has been investing a lot in hockey, especially in recruiting in 2014-15 & 15-16, but overall UML has spent more since Coach Bazin was hired.

Sean
        UML is a totally different Program since the hiring of Bazin and there due diligence into the Program and Fans/etc. -- Hockey is important NOW @ UML.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          UML is a totally different Program since the hiring of Bazin and there due diligence into the Program and Fans/etc. -- Hockey is important NOW @ UML.
          I'm not sold on their fanbase. As I mentioned earlier Maine's average ticket price for 2016 was $11.57. According to UML information total ticket sale revenue for 2016 was just under $700,000, or an average ticket price of $6.55 based on total reported attendance.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
            What is included in your "spending" for recruiting? Are you comparing the cost of travel to recruit or the offered packages that ncaa changed a few years back.

Comment

Bottom-line is this: Maine is in a death-spiral under Red. That much is clear. (They are already there, actually, and have been for a while now.)

No telling for sure if Tim would have kept them relevant, but I seriously doubt that he would've done worse than Red.

Whatever currency Maine used to have is already spent. Our Bears are kinda like Clarkson... A nice past past and no future in sight.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-17-2017, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Bottom-line is this: Maine is in a death-spiral under Red. That much is clear. (They are already there, actually, and have been for a while now.)

No telling for sure if Tim would have kept them relevant, but I seriously doubt that he would've done worse than Red.

Whatever currency Maine used to have is already spent. Our Bears are kinda like Clarkson... A nice past past and no future in sight.
                Its what it use to be...and now it isn't no more.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

How would Tim get maine out of the death spiral when he started it.? I don't believe anyone thinks Red is doing better, the W L record clearly shows otherwise. Unless they can find a coach to breathe new life into the program, Maine hockey is a bottom feeder. It was fun while it lasted

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                    What is included in your "spending" for recruiting? Are you comparing the cost of travel to recruit or the offered packages that ncaa changed a few years back.
                    It's not my spending, it's the schools' spending as reported to the NCAA. As for what can be spent on recruiting the NCAA report's instructions say: "Input transportation, lodging and meals for prospective student*-athletes and institutional personnel on official and unofficial visits, telephone call charges, postage and such. Include value of use of institution's own vehicles or airplanes as well as in-kind value of loaned or contributed transportation."

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

No regional in Portland. Did Portland and Maine bid?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                        No regional in Portland. Did Portland and Maine bid?
                        They said they did. I'm not very disappointed. The only thing I care about is the success of the team.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          How would Tim get maine out of the death spiral when he started it.? I don't believe anyone thinks Red is doing better, the W L record clearly shows otherwise. Unless they can find a coach to breathe new life into the program, Maine hockey is a bottom feeder. It was fun while it lasted

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          Maybe Maine can take a look at what Northern Michigan did yesterday and hired GRANT POTULNY, a young assistant @ Minnesota...he has experience in the College Hockey playing ranks (Minnesota)...played some AHL hockey, worked as a Assistant Coach in the World Juniors, both times the USA won the Gold Medal...and is still a young man @ 37....a man with NO TIES to NMU, but a young and coming Coach that all he needed was a place to hang his hat. Time will tell on this hire but a recipe Maine should..."IF/When"...there are changes @ Maine. I have a name that could interest many teams...UMass-Lowell's Cam Ellsworth, top assistant to Norm Bazin...and he is also the goaltending coach @ UML...a big sore spot for Maine...oh well just throwing it out...anyone else out there have IDEA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Maybe Maine can take a look at what Northern Michigan did yesterday and hired GRANT POTULNY, a young assistant @ Minnesota...he has experience in the College Hockey playing ranks (Minnesota)...played some AHL hockey, worked as a Assistant Coach in the World Juniors, both times the USA won the Gold Medal...and is still a young man @ 37....a man with NO TIES to NMU, but a young and coming Coach that all he needed was a place to hang his hat. Time will tell on this hire but a recipe Maine should..."IF/When"...there are changes @ Maine. I have a name that could interest many teams...UMass-Lowell's Cam Ellsworth, top assistant to Norm Bazin...and he is also the goaltending coach @ UML...a big sore spot for Maine...oh well just throwing it out...anyone else out there have IDEA's.
                            That sounds something like what Maine did when they hired some assistant coach named Shawn Walsh...

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

It's hard to believe any Maine fan would ever forget the name of Grant Potulny who scored a PPG in OT of the 2002 Frozen Four to defeat Maine 4-3 for the National Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                That may well be true, but according to Maine's 2010-16 NCAA Financial reports Coach Whitehead was better at fundraisng three of his last four seasons than Coach Gendron was in his first three:
                                Coach Whitehead
                                2010 - $131,665
                                2011 - $193,601
                                2012 - $131,592
                                2013 - $ 90,361
                                Average - $136,805
                                Coach Gendron
                                2014 - $ 97,078
                                2015 - $105,001
                                2016 - $150,002
                                Average - $117,360

Not that either is very good. BU raised $254,506 in 24 hours on their annual giving day less than two weeks ago on 5 April. Of the public schools I have at least one NCAA Financial report for Maine ranks 14th out of 22 in average contributions.

Sean
                                Sure, cause it hadn't been that long since the team had been doing well, had been to the NCAA tournament. But they were in a downward spiral that's continued under Red. No wonder it's harder for Red to raise money than it was for TIMMAY. TIMMAY didn't have six or seven dismal seasons hanging over his head. Now, Red does, thanks in some degree to TIMMAY.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X