This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Coach Leach retired, contract was up in june, 65 soon to be 66 years old, wants some free time with family. Wish him the best
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      McGovern's save percentage for games he started was 0.911, which was above this season's mean save percentage of 0.908, but below the mean save percentage for the previous five seasons, making him close too an average DI goalie. However, just having an above average save percentage is not enough for post season success, as none of the top six goalies in save percentage made the NCAA tournament and 4 with save percentages lower than McGovern made the NCAAs.

As for consistency, he started 28 games and 16 of them (57.1%) were quality starts (a save percentage equal or higher than the mean average), 36th out of 73 starting goalies (see the NCAA Goalie Starts, Quality Starts and Really Bad Starts thread for more information). He also had 3 (10.7%) really bad starts (a save percentage below 85.0%), 24th out of 73 starting goalies. His quality starts to really bad starts ratio was 5.3 to 1, 27th out of 73. So, overall he was an average goalie this past season. In Hockey East he was 8th out of 14 starting goalies in save percentage, 9th out of 14 in quality starts percentage, but only 13th out of 14 in winning percentage. Average in Hockey East is not what you need from your goalie.

Sean
      Goaltending is the name of the game...has been and always will be for a winning program.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Goaltending is the name of the game...has been and always will be for a winning program.
        Well, you need the goaltending to put you in a position to win, but you need goal scoring to actually get the win.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I think a lot of them probably are. If they have been raising a few hundred thousand each year the money is coming from some place.
          Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Have they been raising a few hundred thousand/year? Wouldn't that be something to publicize if so?
          I read somewhere that they had. I'll try to find it if I get time later.
          I've been working on compiling revenues and expenses for all DI hockey programs from 2010 through 2016 when possible. I'm using the full NCAA financial reports for the public schools when I get them and the more limited EADA reports for the private schools. I have all seven years worth of Maine reports and they haven't raised a few hundred thousand per year directly for the hockey team (other than in 2011) during that period. Here are the reported contributions specifically to the hockey team and also to general athletics (non-sports specific):
          2010 - $131,665 (hockey), $58,190 (non-sports specific)
          2011 - $193,601 (hockey), $515,989 (non-sports specific)
          2012 - $131,592 (hockey), $444,444 (non-sports specific)
          2013 - $90,361 (hockey), $258,104 (non-sports specific)
          2014 - $97,078 (hockey, $457,267 (non-sports specific)
          2015 - $105,001 (hockey), $377,082 (non-sports specific)
          2016 - $150,002 (hockey), $286,199 (non-sports specific)

By the way, the contributions cover just a small part of the men's team's average annual expenses. From 2010-16 total expenses averaged $1,935,389, and they reached $2,132,336 in 2016.

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
          Red started the Standbrook fund with donating a % of his salary. No idea where that one stands?
          He donates 5% of his Salary.
          Maine redacted coaching salaries from the 2010 through 2014 reports I found online, but not on the 2015 & 2016 reports I requested directly from the university through the Freedom of Access Request procedure. Coach Gendron's salary was report as $319,156 in 2015 and $325,872 in 2016. If he is giving 5% that would be just over $32,000 for those two years.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I've been working on compiling revenues and expenses for all DI hockey programs from 2010 through 2016 when possible. I'm using the full NCAA financial reports for the public schools when I get them and the more limited EADA reports for the private schools. I have all seven years worth of Maine reports and they haven't raised a few hundred thousand per year directly for the hockey team (other than in 2011) during that period. Here are the reported contributions specifically to the hockey team and also to general athletics (non-sports specific):

By the way, the contributions cover just a small part of the men's team's average annual expenses. From 2010-16 total expenses averaged $1,935,389, and they reached $2,132,336 in 2016.

Maine redacted coaching salaries from the 2010 through 2014 reports I found online, but not on the 2015 & 2016 reports I requested directly from the university through the Freedom of Access Request procedure. Coach Gendron's salary was report as $319,156 in 2015 and $325,872 in 2016. If he is giving 5% that would be just over $32,000 for those two years.

Sean
            The figure I heard was 5%...but not what your reporting...my understanding was he was donating $10,455.00 of his salary...which means he is not making in the 300k range...I was hearing he was more in the $215k to $220k range.

Comment

Well, you need the goaltending to put you in a position to win, but you need goal scoring to actually get the win.

Sean
              Oh I hear you on that...but "IF" you have the solid/steady goaltending then you can worry on the scoring and all that goes into this great game. Everything is important, but like I said before...give me a lights out goaltender and the other stuff will work its way in. (Hopefully..!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                The numbers they gave you are total compensation not salary. He makes around $200k a year. I'm not sure if the money raised for the Standbrook fund would be included in your numbers for money raised.

Edit: by total compensation I mean taxes, insurance, retirement benefits, etc.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Sean
                  Gendron's last contract extension has his salary at $209,500 in his final year, 2019. The reported salary is total compensation, which includes health insurance, performance based incentives (had Red qualified for any) retirement benefits (which when I worked for the University was 10% of my salary paid by the U into a 403.b, which was standard for faculty and professional staff -- hockey coaches might get something different), payroll taxes, etc.

According to this article from a year ago they had raised about $300K for the endowment so far, so they still needed 700K to match the $1M:

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/03/...rpower-status/
                  Last edited by BassAle; 04-13-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Coach Leach retired, contract was up in june, 65 soon to be 66 years old, wants some free time with family. Wish him the best
                    "spending time with family" is a code word for "being asked to retire"

Comment

The figure I heard was 5%...but not what your reporting...my understanding was he was donating $10,455.00 of his salary...which means he is not making in the 300k range...I was hearing he was more in the $215k to $220k range.
                      The numbers they gave you are total compensation not salary. He makes around $200k a year. I'm not sure if the money raised for the Standbrook fund would be included in your numbers for money raised.

Edit: by total compensation I mean taxes, insurance, retirement benefits, etc.
                      Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      Gendron's last contract extension has his salary at $209,500 in his final year, 2019. The reported salary is total compensation, which includes health insurance, performance based incentives (had Red qualified for any) retirement benefits (which when I worked for the University was 10% of my salary paid by the U into a 403.b, which was standard for faculty and professional staff -- hockey coaches might get something different), payroll taxes, etc.

According to this article from a year ago they had raised about $300K for the endowment so far, so they still needed 700K to match the $1M:

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/03/...rpower-status/
                      Taxes and insurance and payroll taxes are not mentioned in the instructions:

Input compensation, bonus and benefits paid to all coaches reportable on the university or related entities W-2 and 1099 forms inclusive of:
                      Gross wages and bonuses.
                      Benefits including allowances, speaking fees, retirement, stipends, memberships, media income, tuition reimbursement and earned deferred compensation.

I would think only retirement and deferred compensation would not be immediately paid out each year, but I agree he is likely to be only donating 5% of his base salary. However, whether Coach Gendron is donating $10,000 a year, which is generous, or $16,000 a year, my point was it doesn't look like Maine has a large, wealth donor base for men's hockey.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        "spending time with family" is a code word for "being asked to retire"
                        Maybe, his contract was up in june. Either way, nice guy to talk to, hope he enjoys his "retirement"
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          In reading the Bangor Daily News article, it sounded to me like he was tired of living in Orono, Me away from his kids and friends. No summers off and no family life having been divorced. He didn't rule out seeking another job as a NHL scout. Best wishes to him in his future endeavors.

Comment

Input compensation, bonus and benefits paid to all coaches reportable on the university or related entities W-2 and 1099 forms inclusive of:
                            Gross wages and bonuses.
                            Benefits including allowances, speaking fees, retirement, stipends, memberships, media income, tuition reimbursement and earned deferred compensation.

I would think only retirement and deferred compensation would not be immediately paid out each year, but I agree he is likely to be only donating 5% of his base salary. However, whether Coach Gendron is donating $10,000 a year, which is generous, or $16,000 a year, my point was it doesn't look like Maine has a large, wealth donor base for men's hockey.

Sean
                            He is earning way more than what was reported publically when he was first hired four years a go. He must have received another increase when he received the two year extension. Initially, it was reported that he was earning in the very low $210K range if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              He is earning way more than what was reported publically when he was first hired four years a go. He must have received another increase when he received the two year extension. Initially, it was reported that he was earning in the very low $210K range if I recall correctly.
                              His contract extension included very small increases, reaching $209,500 in 2019. His initial contract was for $205,000/yr. The compensation reported by the University includes benefits. It's basically the total cost to the University of the employee.

Comment

Gross wages and bonuses.

Sean
                                the cost of medical insurance is definitely included in the reported total compensation, which can easily add $20K or more, and I'm pretty sure it also includes the cost of "government benefits" which basically means payroll taxes that cover social security, medicare, and unemployment insurance.

I agree with your assessment that Maine doesn't have a large wealthy donor base for hockey.

I'm not a wealthy donor. I get requests for donation to the fund in the mail, and honestly I'm not really included to donate to an athletic program at this time. Most of my charitable donations support land conservation at this point (Access Fund, Maine Farmland Trust, Downeast Lakes Land Trust, Friends of Baxter State Park, Maine Coast Heritage Trust, etc), which I think is more important over the long run... How many people make donating to an athletic department a priority now?
                                Last edited by BassAle; 04-13-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X