X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    The 06 team was quite strong. The dangle twins were the third line and theyre better than anybody we've had since Shore left.

The 07 team did get lucky, wasnt as deep and tended to wilt at the end of games. Not just vs MSU, they blew home leads vs UNH and BC too. But you cant discount the impact Ben Bishops late season injury had on that group and their swoon. No councidence they won that regional with him back in the nets.
    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Pretty sure dangle twins were on second line with Damon, moore was with levielle and soares on top line, and Shepherd, bellamy, and jankus were on third line. '06 was a good team but nowhere near the 2004 team.
    Ryan and Hopson played with Rob Bellamy as I recall. Johnson Shepard and Damon were generally line two. Maybe it juggled. It was a team with a real top 9, top 12, haven't had that since. Altho the 10 and 11 teams had real good top 6s.

04 was superior in the back end and in net by leaps and bounds. 06 was probably better up front.
    I'm not sure who the dangle twins are, although you had two Hopsons on the team. However, you can check out the lineups for every game since 2002-03 over on collegehockeystats.net. The 2005-06 Maine schedule page has links to every game summary. I've looked at a few of them and I only remember a few of the players at all, most only slightly. I remember many players for the Maine teams of the 90s very well, so either they left less of an impression on me, or my short term memory is going.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Go Air Force BU has so much talent they don't even have to show up for most of the game. They have a goalie who kept them in the game and a guy who can dangle until someone was open. UND was gassed, they played so hard but once the goal was called back you knew they were dead. They didn't quit but it just wasn't going to happen.

Looks like Harvard might be decent also
      UND had them on the ropes in overtime, just came down to that BU's Goaltender was solid and made the saves you need to win Hardware. Clutch goaltending always wins out. Interesting to see Denver & UMass-Lowell today...those two teams could take home the Title also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I'm not sure who the dangle twins are, although you had two Hopsons on the team. However, you can check out the lineups for every game since 2002-03 over on collegehockeystats.net. The 2005-06 Maine schedule page has links to every game summary. I've looked at a few of them and I only remember a few of the players at all, most only slightly. I remember many players for the Maine teams of the 90s very well, so either they left less of an impression on me, or my short term memory is going.

Sean
        Billy ryan and keenan hopson. Hands for days but soft and a bit turnover prone.

Keenans older brother John was a giant body and a really nice add for the 06 team.

Billy as i recall had one of the great Maine quotes of all time about not going to a Beanpot school bc you come to Maine to win national championships not Beanpots. Back when that kind of thing wasnt a punchline.
        Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-25-2017, 12:35 PM.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
          I never realized that, thanks for sharing. Did Keith Johnson have compromising pictures of Timmy or something? It's amazing that he was always on the top couple of lines. Maybe he was good in practice or something but I never rated him at all.

Does anyone know why Maine struggled so much in the 2004 playoffs? They won all their games up until the game against Denver by one goal and if I'm being honest didn't play that great of hockey outside of the third period against Harvard. I think part of it might have been the lineup but it must have been more than that. It was a mistake leaving Shepheard, Zabkowicz, and Soares out. It's a shame Acquino had all of his issues, was a massive talent and would have made a big difference.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Keenans older brother John was a giant body and a really nice add for the 06 team.

Billy as i recall had one of the great Maine quotes of all time about not going to a Beanpot school bc you come to Maine to win national championships not Beanpots. Back when that kind of thing wasnt a punchline.
            Thanks for the information. I do remember that quote and agree it's a great one.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Dangled all day around the perimeter, but wouldn't dare take it to the net hard. I thought Ryan was starting to get it the end of his junior year, but back to his old self his senior year.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I never realized that, thanks for sharing. Did Keith Johnson have compromising pictures of Timmy or something? It's amazing that he was always on the top couple of lines. Maybe he was good in practice or something but I never rated him at all.

Does anyone know why Maine struggled so much in the 2004 playoffs? They won all their games up until the game against Denver by one goal and if I'm being honest didn't play that great of hockey outside of the third period against Harvard. I think part of it might have been the lineup but it must have been more than that. It was a mistake leaving Shepheard, Zabkowicz, and Soares out. It's a shame Acquino had all of his issues, was a massive talent and would have made a big difference.
                That was the type of team it was. Defensive oriented(team-wide), hard-working, not particularly gifted offensively as the 6 on 4 against Denver indicated. Solid team top to bottom, but not special for any reason. Lunchpail types. I'm sure Grant had a lot to do with that.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game)......

Sean

I'll never forget that Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Wisconsin went on to defeat BC in the championship game after defeating Maine. The Bradley Center was a "sea of red". The building was filled with Wisconsin fans. With Wisconsin being in the championship game tickets were in high demand. I ended up selling mine and I watched the game in a bar next door.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    I'll never forget that Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Wisconsin went on to defeat BC in the championship game after defeating Maine. The Bradley Center was a "sea of red". The building was filled with Wisconsin fans. With Wisconsin being in the championship game tickets were in high demand. I ended up selling mine and I watched the game in a bar next door.
                    I was there both nights, Big Ben didn't have his best game and Maine played ok but tough to beat Wisconsin on what was essentially home ice. The 2nd night I was sitting near BU fans, unreal how much those 2 idiots hated BC, they are still BU fans as I've seen them in Alfond wearing the same dirty white BU sweaters
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I was there both nights, Big Ben didn't have his best game and Maine played ok but tough to beat Wisconsin on what was essentially home ice. The 2nd night I was sitting near BU fans, unreal how much those 2 idiots hated BC, they are still BU fans as I've seen them in Alfond wearing the same dirty white BU sweaters
                      I was there both nights as well, I just don't remember much about the games. Discussing it has gotten me to remember that I had an extra ticket and somehow I ended up being connected to a long time Wisconsin fan who bought it and was very thankful to be able to be there. There was no need for me to root against BC that game.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I just want puke watching Denver knowing Steve Abbott told Jim thanks but no thanks.

Comment

And it looks like they're going to the FF.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            That was the type of team it was. Defensive oriented(team-wide), hard-working, not particularly gifted offensively as the 6 on 4 against Denver indicated. Solid team top to bottom, but not special for any reason. Lunchpail types. I'm sure Grant had a lot to do with that.
                            6 on 3

Comment

I think I jinxed them ...

Comment

I don't see anyone stopping this Denver team.

Comment

Working...
                                X