X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Trust me, you don't want to go the "superstar freshman" route. Getting a bunch of great players isn't the same as having a great TEAM. I'll take a hard-working team with a great ethic (i.e. Lowell, or even BC) over "talent." Yeah, you need some, but without older leadership to give reality checks and maintain discipline both on and off the ice, it all falls apart. A guy sitting behind me last night (no names mentioned) whose son is friends with one of the BU players said that Charlie McAvoy is TELLING PEOPLE that he will be "playing for the Bruins THIS spring." OK. Great. I'm sure his mind (and many of his buddies') were on that PLAYOFF game last night...
    I don't feel to bad about BU and their team full of studs. Everyone is talking about how many Grade As they got last night, Woll was up to the task. That is a problem Maine fans would love to have.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Trust me, you don't want to go the "superstar freshman" route. Getting a bunch of great players isn't the same as having a great TEAM. I'll take a hard-working team with a great ethic (i.e. Lowell, or even BC) over "talent." Yeah, you need some, but without older leadership to give reality checks and maintain discipline both on and off the ice, it all falls apart. A guy sitting behind me last night (no names mentioned) whose son is friends with one of the BU players said that Charlie McAvoy is TELLING PEOPLE that he will be "playing for the Bruins THIS spring." OK. Great. I'm sure his mind (and many of his buddies') were on that PLAYOFF game last night...
      I'll take a bunch of one-and-done blue chippers every year. Any program would. That's how you stay in the national picture these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        I'll take a bunch of one-and-done blue chippers every year. Any program would. That's how you stay in the national picture these days.
        Won't be happening @ Maine for a long-long time. Recruiting is not up to par with a very rare diamond in the rough find. Until they shore up there goaltending and solve there defensive woes and those also point to there non winning "woes" on the road. This will be a under .500 Program that sniffs at a .500 season every once in awhile.
        Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 03-19-2017, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Lowell looks pretty good, remember when Maine looked like that. I hope you do as thats all we got Don't see Maine anywhere near that level in the near future. What Bazin has done is Walsh like. Maybe even more impressive. I'll be shocked if the NHL doesn't come knocking at his door
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Lowell looks pretty good, remember when Maine looked like that. I hope you do as thats all we got Don't see Maine anywhere near that level in the near future. What Bazin has done is Walsh like. Maybe even more impressive. I'll be shocked if the NHL doesn't come knocking at his door
            It's actually quite ironic. Here's a little history lesson. Back in the late 90's when Tim was coaching UML, he hired Bazin as his #2 assistant coach. Tim had coached Bazin as a player and recognized his intelligence and maturity. Bazin was working as a lumber broker at the time. When Tim left UML and came to Maine, Bazin left for Colorado and was a recruiter for Colorado College for several years. He then left for Hamilton College (Tim's alma mater), where he was hired as the head coach. As I recall he was successful in his three year stay. He then was hired by UML when Blaise McDonald left. As everyone knows the River Hawk program came close to being eliminated around this time. If it were not for Tim, Bazin would not be coaching. They both are doing very well currently. Kimball Union just won the New England Elite Eight Hockey Championship for the first time in 35 years.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Bazin has done a outstanding job...but I don't see him leaving for the NHL, I think his niche is in the College Hockey game...UML should think about locking him up for a good period of time. He is what Shawn Walsh was to Maine...and you are so right that watching UML makes you think of the good old Maine days where they out worked/ had a game plan and if that didn't work they could change during the game, both teams have that blue collar/ lunch pail working attitude...one thing for sure "IF" you beat Maine and NOW "IF" you beat UML you have worked to the fullest to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Yeah, but how many freshman for Maine versus BU? If Maine's got ten freshmen and BU has only four or five, that's not that indicative of a stat, not an apples to apples comparison.
                Well, BU roster shows 8 freshman excluding goalies. Of course its hard to compare exactly, given D players vs forwards, how much ice time did they get etc . etc.
                I think the general overall stat is favorable for Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  It's actually quite ironic. Here's a little history lesson. Back in the late 90's when Tim was coaching UML, he hired Bazin as his #2 assistant coach. Tim had coached Bazin as a player and recognized his intelligence and maturity. Bazin was working as a lumber broker at the time. When Tim left UML and came to Maine, Bazin left for Colorado and was a recruiter for Colorado College for several years. He then left for Hamilton College (Tim's alma mater), where he was hired as the head coach. As I recall he was successful in his three year stay. He then was hired by UML when Blaise McDonald left. As everyone knows the River Hawk program came close to being eliminated around this time. If it were not for Tim, Bazin would not be coaching. They both are doing very well currently. Kimball Union just won the New England Elite Eight Hockey Championship for the first time in 35 years.
                  Interesting about the Bazin connection.
                  The Whitehead coaching story is also an interesting one, with success and not so much. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in D1 after his kids are off to school and the time and travel demands of coaching don't interfere with family life so much.
                  Having said this I didn't think he did a very good job with the Maine program, so not a success there. I don't know the exact factors of why things went down hill, but its water under the bridge at this point.
                  The only thing that matters is that they right the ship.

Comment

Timmy actually tried to get Bazin to Maine: https://www.ushr.com/news/20060628/1...ming+for+Maine
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Interesting about the Bazin connection.
                      The Whitehead coaching story is also an interesting one, with success and not so much. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in D1 after his kids are off to school and the time and travel demands of coaching don't interfere with family life so much.
                      Having said this I didn't think he did a very good job with the Maine program, so not a success there. I don't know the exact factors of why things went down hill, but its water under the bridge at this point.
                      The only thing that matters is that they right the ship.
                      From my viewpoint as a BU fan I thought Coach Whitehead did a decent bench coaching job at UML, but not so well as a recruiter. Again, I thought he did a good job of bench coaching at Maine, but there he already had the top recruiter in college hockey. In my opinion it was Grant Standbrook with his ability to evaluate and recruit players that kept Maine at the top of college hockey for two decades. I have said for years that a head coach is only as good as is assistants and I think Grant was probably the best assistant in college hockey.

Sean
                      Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-19-2017, 01:31 PM.
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        From my viewpoint as a BU fan I thought Coach Whitehead did a decent bench coaching job at UML, but not so well as a recruiter. Again, I thought he did a good job of bench coaching at Maine, but their he already had the top recruiter in college hockey. In my opinion it was Grant Standbrook with his ability to evaluate and recruit players that kept Maine at the top of college hockey for two decades. I have said for years that a head coach is only as good as is assistants and I think Grant was probably the best assistant in college hockey.

Sean
                        Indeed he was, he was the one that could find a diamond in the rough. He had the passion for the job to go along with being a great human being.

Comment

From my viewpoint as a BU fan I thought Coach Whitehead did a decent bench coaching job at UML, but not so well as a recruiter. Again, I thought he did a good job of bench coaching at Maine, but their he already had the top recruiter in college hockey. In my opinion it was Grant Standbrook with his ability to evaluate and recruit players that kept Maine at the top of college hockey for two decades. I have said for years that a head coach is only as good as is assistants and I think Grant was probably the best assistant in college hockey.

Sean
                          Yes Grant was the key to the teams success not only with recruiting but on ice coaching and goalie development. A great teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                            ........I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in D1 after his kids are off to school and the time and travel demands of coaching don't interfere with family life so much..........
                            I agree. When the right situation presents itself I see him coaching in college hockey again.

Comment

Sean
                              As a Maine fan, I pretty much agree with you. It was recruiting that presented Tim with challenges at Maine. He was able to recruit enough talent for one line and part of a second. Couldn't get enough depth for the 3rd and fourth lines. Apparently, he is able to recruit at Kimball Union. He has eight or nine players who are considered elite prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                                Apparently, he is able to recruit at Kimball Union. He has eight or nine players who are considered elite prospects.
                                But that's apples and oranges, isn't it? New England is highly regarded for their prep schools. People from all over the WORLD send their children here as an alternative to high school. There is no comparison with any other place, and TONS of people from out West send their kids "back East" because the education is just better, period. One of my best friend's niece is playing girl's hockey right now for Holderness. But recruiting to COLLEGE is another story. Here there's plenty of competition. With technology and the ease of travel, it's much tougher to sell a kid on Orono. He can go to Arizona for crying out loud and have warm weather all year round. I suspect pretty soon California colleges will be playing Division 1 hockey. Then you have the city schools, which are much more appealing for MOST kids. I'm not disparaging Tim...just saying that it was almost an impossible task to recruit a kid to Orono. This isn't the 1970s anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X