• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    They have 10 games to play, if we are lucky 11

Just think, next year may be worse
    I'm thinking next year will be worse.

This weekend v. PC is completely meaningless for Maine, and PC needs to keep winning to stay in the PWR... So I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I'm just fine with the Friars sweeping. At this point, it'll be far more fun for to me to watch 5 Hockey East teams in the NCAAs than to see Maine get an empty win at PC's expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      I'm thinking next year will be worse.

This weekend v. PC is completely meaningless for Maine, and PC needs to keep winning to stay in the PWR... So I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I'm just fine with the Friars sweeping. At this point, it'll be far more fun for to me to watch 5 Hockey East teams in the NCAAs than to see Maine get an empty win at PC's expense.
      That's the sad fact that yes they could very well be worse then this year...maybe/maybe not...but anytime you can beat a PC/BC/BU or any team then you do it....nice to have Hockey East in the NCAA's but during the regular season you go out and beat everyone if you can ( I did say "IF" you can).

Comment

Hey, I could never bring myself to root against my Bears... But, I watch pretty-much every NCAA game - love the tournament- and am always behind the HEA teams. (OK, maybe not goddam BU lol.)

This is how Maine's utter futility over the past several years can make for strange bedfellows...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Hey, I could never bring myself to root against my Bears... But, I watch pretty-much every NCAA game - love the tournament- and am always behind the HEA teams. (OK, maybe not goddam BU lol.)

This is how Maine's utter futility over the past several years can make for strange bedfellows...
          True, but it would not BREAK my heart if BC got toasted either...

Comment

Maine playing as good as they can , still losing 1-0. Look gassed to me. Rob is playing well, PC controls the puck on boards all game long. Maine might have a handful of shots.
            never seen this stat before, 72 to 28 % time of possession for PC, i knew it was bad but...........
            Last edited by walrus; 02-03-2017, 06:43 PM.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Maine playing as good as they can , still losing 1-0. Look gassed to me. Rob is playing well, PC controls the puck on boards all game long. Maine might have a handful of shots.
              Shots are 31-7 and Providence has 72% of the possession.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Shots are 31-7 and Providence has 72% of the possession.
                Maine gets lead and then gives it up, 2-2 now

Comment

Maine loses 3-2 on a PP goal with 2 minutes left. Not sure what the call was even for but delay of game on Cedric.

Comment

Maine loses 3-2 on a PP goal with 2 minutes left. Not sure what the call was even for but delay of game on Cedric.
                    Two or three situations come to mind.

1. Lying on the puck.
                    2. Dislodging the goal.
                    3. Shooting the puck into the crowd.

Any other possibilities?

Comment

He (#14) did put his hand down on the puck in the faceoff circle and swipe it over into the corner...penalty yes most of the time...but usually not called in last 3 minutes. But anyways it was called...was a penalty but that was not the only reason they lost. Can't seem to win face-offs and they seem to never be able put there shots on goal, shots are wide and high a good percentage of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Two or three situations come to mind.

1. Lying on the puck.
                        2. Dislodging the goal.
                        3. Shooting the puck into the crowd.

Any other possibilities?
                        Faceoff player can't play the puck with his hand, Cedric clearly threw puck toward corner with his hand. Correct call, never seen it made. The better team won, they controlled the game for the first 2 periods, might have been even in 3rd??? Maine still lacks talent. the 4th line might as well not play. I will say the D was better, probably because Rob was as good as we've seen in years. They played as hard as they could, thats a good thing. They need more talent.

Comment

Faceoff player can't play the puck with his hand, Cedric clearly threw puck toward corner with his hand. Correct call, never seen it made. The better team won, they controlled the game for the first 2 periods, might have been even in 3rd??? Maine still lacks talent. the 4th line might as well not play. I will say the D was better, probably because Rob was as good as we've seen in years. They played as hard as they could, thats a good thing. They need more talent.
                          The talent that is there is why they will be a 10th/11th/12th team. We are all hoping but fooling our selves that this will turn around any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            The talent that is there is why they will be a 10th/11th/12th team. We are all hoping but fooling our selves that this will turn around any time soon.
                            Wisconsin was in the doldrums the last few years like us. Now this year their bow is up, having a winning season and in top 20. What was the difference? Coaching staff change? Did the new coach staff manage to recruit a significant class in less than a year?
                            I don't know much about their players from last year vs this year to have any insight on that. It does appear however the coach staff has made an impact, time will tell if their $900,000 per year investment in coaching staff salary will have returns.
                            Something anecdotal to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Wisconsin was in the doldrums the last few years like us. Now this year their bow is up, having a winning season and in top 20. What was the difference? Coaching staff change? Did the new coach staff manage to recruit a significant class in less than a year?
                              I don't know much about their players from last year vs this year to have any insight on that. It does appear however the coach staff has made an impact, time will tell if their $900,000 per year investment in coaching staff salary will have returns.
                              Something anecdotal to think about.
                              All three have ties to Wisconsin...talent wise I would think there was talent in place NOT as bare as the one inherited by RG & Staff. But that Coaching change has made a difference @ Wisconsin. While @ Maine we seem to be going downwards making no progress or accountability, with no Leadership. (imo)

Comment

Yes a player can't use their hand to move the puck during a faceoff but can use their skates. Additionally IIHF rules don't allow using skates either.

Comment

Working...
                                X