Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    But that's apples and oranges, isn't it? New England is highly regarded for their prep schools. People from all over the WORLD send their children here as an alternative to high school. There is no comparison with any other place, and TONS of people from out West send their kids "back East" because the education is just better, period. One of my best friend's niece is playing girl's hockey right now for Holderness. But recruiting to COLLEGE is another story. Here there's plenty of competition. With technology and the ease of travel, it's much tougher to sell a kid on Orono. He can go to Arizona for crying out loud and have warm weather all year round. I suspect pretty soon California colleges will be playing Division 1 hockey. Then you have the city schools, which are much more appealing for MOST kids. I'm not disparaging Tim...just saying that it was almost an impossible task to recruit a kid to Orono. This isn't the 1970s anymore.
    I agree with what you are saying, especially the last two sentences. However, Tim still has to sell his program to young talented hockey players. As you point out there are many fine academic prep schools in New England with quality hockey programs. He has some stiff competition. It took Kimball Union 35 years to win the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, especially the last two sentences. However, Tim still has to sell his program to young talented hockey players. As you point out there are many fine academic prep schools in New England with quality hockey programs. He has some stiff competition. It took Kimball Union 35 years to win the championship.
    Well, that was my point. People saying that he "couldn't recruit" weren't being totally fair. He was in pretty much an impossible situation. And for the people who say "Well, Shawn did it." That's another story that we won't go into...

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Won't be happening @ Maine for a long-long time. Recruiting is not up to par with a very rare diamond in the rough find. Until they shore up there goaltending and solve there defensive woes and those also point to there non winning "woes" on the road. This will be a under .500 Program that sniffs at a .500 season every once in awhile.
    How about we hire an assistant who can coach defense, instead of having two guys whose experience is at the forward position? Whoever's been handling the coaching of the defense, it obviously hasn't been very effective.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Yesterday Ryan Lomberg signed with the Calgary Flames. Looks like he will get his chance to impress at the big show. Would have been great if he was able to hang around for his last two years at Orono.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...rg/c-287813718

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How about we hire an assistant who can coach defense, instead of having two guys whose experience is at the forward position? Whoever's been handling the coaching of the defense, it obviously hasn't been very effective.
    Hasn't been very effective since Campbell blair left
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Hasn't been very effective since Campbell blair left
    I had my issues with his style, mainly the poke-check/stick the puck away rather than lay a body on someone, but perhaps that was what the head coach wanted from his D. At any rate, as you say, it was still more effective than what we're seeing now.

Walshy always said, you recruit speed, and you can always teach defense. Except, you apparently can't. Or you need better teachers.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Likely Maine 2017-18 non-conference schedule

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
    20-21 @ QC
    27-28 UMD

November 24-25 Friendship Four

December 30? UNH @Portland
    December/January Princeton (location TBA)

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
    20-21 @ QC
    27-28 UMD

That would be the best non-conference schedule Maine has had in at least 10 years. It would be nice to see them skip the exhibition game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    That would be the best non-conference schedule Maine has had in at least 10 years. It would be nice to see them skip the exhibition game.
    The exhibition game is a chance to play the redshirts and an extra game for the freshmen and a chance for the team to gel and...

None of that matters in reality. What matters is that it is another chance for the school to have a home game and sell tickets and concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I had my issues with his style, mainly the poke-check/stick the puck away rather than lay a body on someone, but perhaps that was what the head coach wanted from his D. At any rate, as you say, it was still more effective than what we're seeing now.

Walshy always said, you recruit speed, and you can always teach defense. Except, you apparently can't. Or you need better teachers.
    That was Tims style, Campbell used to tell his guys lay the body on folks. I understood from a guy who was close, he used tell his guys to ignore Tim. I'm sure thats one of the reasons he left
    Last edited by walrus; 03-20-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Larry's article today looking at next season's schedule

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/2...?ref=SportsBox

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
    20-21 @ QC
    27-28 UMD

Close. Don't know what happened to Princeton, but I love that Maine plays @RPI early. Two very winnable road games so the players can get that monkey off the back right off the bat. UNH is gone (yay!) but no homecoming. So far Maine has no home games during winter break. The opponents on the OOC schedule have an average rank of 34.

Dates that we know at this time:
    Oct 6-7 UConn (league games)
    Oct 13-14 @RPI
    Oct 20-21 Miami
    Oct 27-28 UMD
    Nov 24 Providence (league game, Friendship Four)
    Nov 25 Clarkson/RPI (Friendship Four)
    Dec 8-9 @Quinnipiac
    Dec 30 @Brown

Most league dates are still unknown, but Maine will play BU and UNH at home twice/road once and BC and UMass road twice/home once this season (reversed next season).

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/2...t-next-season/

Good to see Lomberg sign with the flames. Hope he does well with that organization.

Remember when Maine played this late in the season? neither do I

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Remember when Maine played this late in the season? neither do I
    If you can't remember five years ago you might want to get in your truck and head straight to st joes It is had to believe it's been 13 years since Maine went into the NCAA's and there was much hope/expectations.

If you can't remember five years ago you might want to get in your truck and head straight to st joes It is had to believe it's been 13 years since Maine went into the NCAA's and there was much hope/expectations.
    Well, you are half right. Maine was in the tournament 5 years ago and appeared in the Frozen Four 11 years ago.

Well, you are half right. Maine was in the tournament 5 years ago and appeared in the Frozen Four 11 years ago.
    Yeah, I don't think the '05 through '07 teams were that great though. The '07 team had one of the easiest draws in the history of the NCAA tournament. You always hope for the best but 2004 was the last time where I thought Maine had what it took to win it all.

Yeah, I don't think the '05 through '07 teams were that great though. The '07 team had one of the easiest draws in the history of the NCAA tournament. You always hope for the best but 2004 was the last time where I thought Maine had what it took to win it all.
    You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but the 2006 team was also pretty good. Maine "man handled" Michigan State (similar to Maine now) in the Albany regional. I was at that regional and Maine dominated the Spartans by not giving them time and space. Michigan State had a rough game where it seemed they were continually icing the puck. At least we can talk about the past successes. And as I have said before, if Maine had Darling available to go with Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn that possibly could have been a Frozen Four team as well.

Michigan State (similar to Maine now) .
    I have to give it to Anastos for doing the right thing and stepping down. Their future looks brighter. A few hockey east coaches names are in the dialog as potentials, doubt it will be reality however.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but the 2006 team was also pretty good. Maine "man handled" Michigan State (similar to Maine now) in the Albany regional. I was at that regional and Maine dominated the Spartans by not giving them time and space. Michigan State had a rough game where it seemed they were continually icing the puck. At least we can talk about the past successes. And as I have said before, if Maine had Darling available to go with Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn that possibly could have been a Frozen Four team as well.
    I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game). However, I do recall the 2007 Maine-MSU semifinal game. I was sitting next to the less than full Maine section and at the time I had never seen a less enthusiastic group of Maine fans. Even Bananas looked sad and forlorn during the third period (the only mascot I had ever seen look sadder was Vermont's during the 1989 ECAC semifinal). I told my daughter, who really loved Bananas, to go up and give him a hug.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Thread Information