X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    How's that working out?
    Duh, hind sight is pretty good now isn't it
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
      Montgomery never met with Abbott on this. He had a phone call with him. And there was no (automatic) offer to Monty to take the Maine job. Monty didn't use Maine at all to land the DU job. Maine had just canned The Undertaker days before and had not even set up their search committee yet. Abbott and Monty spoke some time in that brief period.
      Denver on the other hand unexpectedly fired Gwozdecky mostly out of the blue and grabbed Montgomery within about 10 days IIRC.
      All the Maine sentiment was to hire Montgomery, and that's what everybody remembers. Maine was very slow footed and the search committee effort took too long but produced several candidates. There was no offer to Monty and Denver grabbed him very very quickly, and justifiably so as evidenced by their current program and result.
      And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's😊, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.

I bleed blue, I donate to the program, I wish them all the luck in the hockey world tonight, but it ain't gonna happen. Maine has not won an away game in an opponent's home rink since 1/30/16 at UMass.
      There is always next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Duh, hind sight is pretty good now isn't it
        It wasn't a criticism. I'd like nothing better than to see Maine competitive again. I miss those days.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          There is always next year
          Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
            Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.
            We all hope that, talent looks better although d is still going to be suspect. I thought they had a chance at vermont, shows what I know

Comment

Non clutch goaltending and swiss cheese defense sinks this team each and every game...let alone the road woes that is a crutch in there heads. If this does not point to a lack luster Coaching staff and players that can't or won't buy into playing all three zones. There 11-20-4 for a reason and finishing in 11th place is where they deserve to be.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's��, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.
                Thanks for clarification, I remember hearing there was some form of communication.
                As far as recruiting, if your saying the challenges exist because of recent success I can see that for sure. Good players will want to go to winning programs no matter where they are located. Good players may also come to rebuilding programs to get ice time and be a key part of a team where they may not be able to do at a more successful school.
                If your saying its because of the location, school or/and facility etc, I'm not sure I fully agree. There are other more successful D1 programs than Maine in locations, schools that I would think to be less desirable. Everyone has their preferences. Its more complicated than just location.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                  Actually he's Maine's all-time career scorer. In HE games, Lowell's Jon Morris is Hockey East's all time leading scorer, Montgomery is sixth. Records HERE.
                  Ahh, I see. I got my info HERE.
                  Perhaps the all-time leader when OOC is included?
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    Ahh, I see. I got my info HERE.
                    Perhaps the all-time leader when OOC is included?
                    Yeah, a little creative writing on DU's part. Here's another HE link that shows Morris is the all-time scoring leader. OCC isn't taken into account for HE scoring.

And for fun I checked the 30th anniversary HE media guide from 2013-14 and right there, smack on page 103 which is a full page photo as a lead-in to the league record section is "Former Lowell Forward Jon Morris, Hockey East's All-Time Leading Scorer"
                    Last edited by riverchief1; 03-04-2017, 03:50 PM.
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Seth Woodcock was on when Dan during the first intermission and said a couple interesting things...The first is that they should hear next month on regional in Portland. The second thing was that in the offseason they are going to completely change the donor/season ticket programs. I would expect they are going to ask for more money. Not really the best time for it in my opinion.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Seth Woodcock was on when Dan during the first intermission and said a couple interesting things...The first is that they should hear next month on regional in Portland. The second thing was that in the offseason they are going to completely change the donor/season ticket programs. I would expect they are going to ask for more money. Not really the best time for it in my opinion.
                        After reading what the NCAA demands from regional hosts I hope Portland doesn't land one. It will be a financial disaster, which the university literally cannot afford.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          The second thing was that in the offseason they are going to completely change the donor/season ticket programs. I would expect they are going to ask for more money. Not really the best time for it in my opinion.
                          If they mean the people who buy the donor seats, go ahead and get whatever money you can from them. They don't seem to care about the product on the ice and rarely attend games in person. Their donations seem to be tax write-offs. Lower the season ticket prices in the lower bowl though.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            If they mean the people who buy the donor seats, go ahead and get whatever money you can from them. They don't seem to care about the product on the ice and rarely attend games in person. Their donations seem to be tax write-offs. Lower the season ticket prices in the lower bowl though.
                            I'm one of those Donor Seat people and I care about the game and the team, I wouldn't be to happy to get stuck paying more for a less then stellar product on the ice and behind the bench...and I attend each and every game, plus I buy more tickets and bring other people to the game...so think before you open your mouth that the Donor Seat people don't care or attend. And its not a tax write off for me...its my hobby during the winter months...takes the edge out of working all the time...but in the last 10 years it has become more like a job to watch the team/program/Coaching staff take this once proud Program down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              The following is from a Bangor Daily News article written by Larry Mahoney April 13, 2013. This article appeared when Denver was about to announce the hiring of Montgomery.

"Montgomery had said last week he had hoped UMaine officials would contact him about applying for the vacant Maine job but they didn’t.

He said Thursday he was “shocked and stunned” that they hadn’t and he added that there was “no doubt in my mind” he could return the program to national prominence."
                              That's what I remember reading, but didn't bother to dig it up.

So maybe Monty would have righted the ship, or maybe not... But the Red Era has been an unqualified disaster.

I miss Timmy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                ....... I miss Timmy!
                                Congratulations to Tim and Kimball Union. Tomorrow, Kimball Union will be in the Elite 8 championship game. Another great year with 30 wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X