X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Do you really think less money would help them do a better job? They inherited a mess not of their making and are doing the best they can. I'm sorry to hear you and others aren't satisfied.
    By that comment I take you are satisfied? You think Red is satisfied also?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      I bet Timmay used to tie the players skates for them.
      No, he was too busy running the Maine program into the ground after doing the same at Lowell. Despite our warnings to Maine fans back then to beware of him and what was looming on the horizon, we were dismissed because of his early success riding Shawn Walsh's coattails. Then it went all downhill for Maine once Whitehead used up all his Walsh equity.
      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
        No, he was too busy running the Maine program into the ground after doing the same at Lowell. Despite our warnings to Maine fans back then to beware of him and what was looming on the horizon, we were dismissed because of his early success riding Shawn Walsh's coattails. Then it went all downhill for Maine once Whitehead used up all his Walsh equity.
        This is spot on. Red is still trying to dig out of the hole he inherited. I think he will get there....eventually
        sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
          This is spot on. Red is still trying to dig out of the hole he inherited. I think he will get there....eventually
          It took six years for Timmy to run the program into the ground and it's foolish to think it will take much less than six years to get it back to where it used to be.

Edit: Timmy was a fine coach but a very poor recruiter. He got some decent players here and there but not nearly enough and there was no margin for error.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            By that comment I take you are satisfied? You think Red is satisfied also?
            I don't think it matters whether I'm satisfied or not. The way I look at it is does the money help or hurt? They desperately need funds.

Since you asked the question though, I would say I'm satisfied with what is most important to the program right now which is recruiting. I will also add I've been very happy with this year's freshmen class as well. I wish Maine had more wins this year but to be honest if Maine had say four or five more what difference would it really make? I've missed three of the worst performances this year so that might cloud my opinion some. I still think Maine is on the right track, it is just taking longer than a lot of people would like.

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
              Riverchief1 comments are valid about the hole the team got into. We all watched it happen, slowly.
              I am no longer optimistic that Red is the correct person to build back the program to something more than at best 50℅ win/loss seasons.

So in two years if things are about the same, not breaking 15 wins and no succes in HE tourney then what?

Like a few others i like what i saw in some of the freshmen class, and we havent see a couple of them yet. A few of the sophmores and juniors are respectable. For Red alot is riding on the next freshmen class, this will provide him the team through his contract to show what he can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                It took six years for Timmy to run the program into the ground and it's foolish to think it will take much less than six years to get it back to where it used to be.

Edit: Timmy was a fine coach but a very poor recruiter. He got some decent players here and there but not nearly enough and there was no margin for error.
                Very poor recruiter that got Gustav Nyquist, Spencer Abbott, Brian Flynn, Ben Hutton and Devin Shore to Orono. Who that's half as good as any of them are on the way?

If Tim had recruited a goalie, if Scott Darling hadn't had demons or if Tim could've figured out how to not blow a lead by over coaching at the end of games he's still be here.

Very poor recruiter my ***. He screwed it up at the end but lets at least be intellectually honest about it.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  Very poor recruiter that got Gustav Nyquist, Spencer Abbott, Brian Flynn, Ben Hutton and Devin Shore to Orono. Who that's half as good as any of them are on the way?

If Tim had recruited a goalie, if Scott Darling hadn't had demons or if Tim could've figured out how to not blow a lead by over coaching at the end of games he's still be here.

Very poor recruiter my ***. He screwed it up at the end but lets at least be intellectually honest about it.
                  Those guys only make up a quarter of a team though. As I said, he got some decent recruits but not nearly enough.

Comment

Those guys only make up a quarter of a team though. As I said, he got some decent recruits but not nearly enough.
                    Tim was able to recruit a quality line as BoSox3066 indicates. As you indicate he was unable to recruit enough depth. So far, Gendron hasn't been able to recruit enough talented players for one line. Let alone 2 or 3. Gendron's best year was the first year and it's been getting worse ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      Tim was able to recruit a quality line as BoSox3066 indicates. As you indicate he was unable to recruit enough depth. So far, Gendron hasn't been able to recruit enough talented players for one line. Let alone 2 or 3. Gendron's best year was the first year and it's been getting worse ever since.
                      That comment is indisputable, IMO. In this age of parity, you don't need 2-3 dangerous lines, but you do need some high-end talent... And I wouldn't characterize a single one of Red's recruits as "high-end talent".

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        Maine is much, much better this year than last year. It's not even close to be honest.

Pearson is definitely a top line forward. He has scored twice as many goals as Shore did his first year and is only one short of what Gus did his first year. Red's best recruits still haven't arrived yet.

Comment

Did you watch Shore or Gus play? On skating alone theres not a kid on this team this year in their universe.

Abbott didnt look like a world beater immediately, he developed, so maybe one of these guys has that as a ceiling?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

So what are Black Bear fans thoughts about this weekend?
                            Merrimack seems to have found its stride. Their top line (Gustaffson, Seney and Tavernier) are playing extremely well lately, and goalie Delia is healthy and playing with a lot of confidence. Offense is still a concern (they only have 4 more goals than ME in league play), but they have been good at shutting down the opposition, and they are generally pretty tough at home.
                            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                              So what are Black Bear fans thoughts about this weekend?
                              Merrimack seems to have found its stride. Their top line (Gustaffson, Seney and Tavernier) are playing extremely well lately, and goalie Delia is healthy and playing with a lot of confidence. Offense is still a concern (they only have 4 more goals than ME in league play), but they have been good at shutting down the opposition, and they are generally pretty tough at home.
                              Maine will play really hard, probably keep it fairly close, then give up a goal or two after horrible penalties and lose.

Comment

Beyond the second line, those teams severely lacked depth. It showed when Maine lost to Duluth in the NCAA Tournament in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X