X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?
    Two against six teams (home and home), three against four teams (two teams two games home one away, two teams two games away one game home).
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      Two against six teams (home and home), three against four teams (two teams two games home one away, two teams two games away one game home).
      Any idea how the league will decide which teams you play two against and which you play three times? Will they take rivalries or records into account, or will it be at random?
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        Any idea how the league will decide which teams you play two against and which you play three times? Will they take rivalries or records into account, or will it be at random?
        Could use this year's standings? Bottom 5 teams play each other 3 times and play the top 6 teams twice? For example, Maine would play BU,BC, UML, Providence,Vermont and Merrimack twice (12 games). Three games against NU, Connecticut, UNH (maintain rivalry) and UMass (12 games). This may keep the league competitive in terms of points?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Could use this year's standings? Bottom 5 teams play each other 3 times and play the top 6 teams twice? For example, Maine would play BU,BC, UML, Providence,Vermont and Merrimack twice (12 games). Three games against NU, Connecticut, UNH (maintain rivalry) and UMass (12 games). This may keep the league competitive in terms of points?
          Works for me, probably for you guys as well
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I'll even give you 1 game at Durham, 1 game at Manchester and the other at Alfond. Whoops. I don't think you are a UNH fan.
            Last edited by Runsub5; 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM. Reason: Added correction.

Comment

Originally posted by uncleray View Post
              two against six teams (home and home), three against four teams (two teams two games home one away, two teams two games away one game home).
              thanks.

Comment

Except then then the top six are playing each other 3 times (5x3=15) and the bottom 5 twice (5x2=10) which adds up to 25. So that don't work.

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Except then then the top six are playing each other 3 times (5x3=15) and the bottom 5 twice (5x2=10) which adds up to 25. So that don't work.
                  Good point. That schedule won't work for the top six teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Good point. That schedule won't work for the top six teams.
                    I think hockey east should try to set it up so rivalries play each other more. Teams are going to move up and down each year and basing it on previous year's table doesn't ensure everyone has the same schedule difficulty. I think when teams play each other plays a big part too. I'm just happy there will be more league games.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

No Hockey East all rookie team nods. Awesome sauce.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        I think hockey east should try to set it up so rivalries play each other more. Teams are going to move up and down each year and basing it on previous year's table doesn't ensure everyone has the same schedule difficulty. I think when teams play each other plays a big part too. I'm just happy there will be more league games.
                        Yes, but playing your rivals more has at least two issues: 1) who decides what rivalries are selected and 2) possibly having some teams play much harder or much easier schedules than other teams.

Who would you have Maine play 3 times every season?

Based on 2016-17 league games
                        UML, BU, BC, PC, UVM, MC, NU, CT, UNH, ME, MA
                        Based on 2016-17 all games
                        UML, BU, PC, UVM, BC, NU, MC, CT, UNH, ME, MA

The top 2 and bottom 4 remain the same, but BC drops from 3 to 5 while PC and UVM both move up one spot each and MC and NU flip places.

Based on the last 5 seasons league games
                        BC, PC, UML, BU, UNH, NU, UVM, CT, MC, ME, MA
                        Base on the last 5 seasons all games
                        UML, BC, PC, BU, NU, UVM, UNH, MC, CT (3 yrs), ME, MA

Again, a fair amount of shifting, but the top 4 remain the same in 3 of the 4 cases, and 3 of the bottom 4 remain the same in all 4 cases.

I would try for a somewhat balanced schedule by ranking the teams using their 5 season overall winning percentage and then I would schedule 2 teams in the 5 top and 2 teams in the bottom 5 (excluding the team in question). For example, Maine is in 10th place my ranking above: They would play 3 games against 2 of UML, BC, PC, BU and NU and 3 games against 2 of UVM, UNH, MC, CT and MA. So, for example Maine could be scheduled to play 3 games against BC, BU, UNH and UVM.

I created a possible 2016-17 schedule for Hockey East using my ranking which I put into a spreadsheet. Vermont was the 6th place team in my ranking so they are in the top 5 teams' top 5 and the bottom 5 teams' bottom 5.

Regarding more league games, I'm still working on league vs non-league attendance, but I now have 3 seasons (2014-17) averages and league games in general do have higher attendance.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Yes, but playing your rivals more has at least two issues: 1) who decides what rivalries are selected and 2) possibly having some teams play much harder or much easier schedules than other teams.

The top 2 and bottom 4 remain the same, but BC drops from 3 to 5 while PC and UVM both move up one spot each and MC and NU flip places.

Again, a fair amount of shifting, but the top 4 remain the same in 3 of the 4 cases, and 3 of the bottom 4 remain the same in all 4 cases.

I would try for a somewhat balanced schedule by ranking the teams using their 5 season overall winning percentage and then I would schedule 2 teams in the 5 top and 2 teams in the bottom 5 (excluding the team in question). For example, Maine is in 10th place my ranking above: They would play 3 games against 2 of UML, BC, PC, BU and NU and 3 games against 2 of UVM, UNH, MC, CT and MA. So, for example Maine could be scheduled to play 3 games against BC, BU, UNH and UVM.

I created a possible 2016-17 schedule for Hockey East using my ranking which I put into a spreadsheet. Vermont was the 6th place team in my ranking so they are in the top 5 teams' top 5 and the bottom 5 teams' bottom 5.

Regarding more league games, I'm still working on league vs non-league attendance, but I now have 3 seasons (2014-17) averages and league games in general do have higher attendance.

Sean
                          Hi Sean,

Over on reddit a discussion about how to pull this off (in this case setting up 2 rivalries for each team). Link if you are interested. (note I am not OP obviously)
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Sean
                            Outstanding. I like it. It maintains rivalries and balances the competition based on past performance.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                              Hi Sean,

Over on reddit a discussion about how to pull this off (in this case setting up 2 rivalries for each team). Link if you are interested. (note I am not OP obviously)
                              Thanks for the link, I posted my thoughts in a condensed version with a link to my schedule chart. As the thread was a month old I don;t know if it will anyone will actually read it.

Outstanding. I like it. It maintains rivalries and balances the competition based on past performance.
                              Thanks, it was a first effort. I tried to pick a rivalry for each team before going back to a second, third and fourth round. Some teams ended up with 4 longstanding rivalries, some with 3 and I hope the rest with at least 2, even if some of them are relatively new.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Thanks for the link, I posted my thoughts in a condensed version with a link to my schedule chart. As the thread was a month old I don;t know if it will anyone will actually read it.

Thanks, it was a first effort. I tried to pick a rivalry for each team before going back to a second, third and fourth round. Some teams ended up with 4 longstanding rivalries, some with 3 and I hope the rest with at least 2, even if some of them are relatively new.

Sean
                                Send it to Bertagna. It will save he and his staff a lot of work. I would guess that the coaches may have some input in to the schedule and getting them all to agree will be difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X