Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Hupamone

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    He had the hat trick? Pretty impressed with DU. They are fun to watch. Jimmy did well for sure. Wonder if nhl comes calling? Seems like a no brainer.
    Wally, Monty interviewed with Calgary last summer before deciding to stay with Denver. The NHL regular season ends today, and I'm guessing, there will be some firings which occur because certain teams did not make the playoffs. Jim Montgomery figures to be a leading candidate for an NHL head coaching job in light of the firings which will take place.

While I will be disappointed when Montgomery leaves for what I think will be an inevitable offer from an NHL team [whenever that may be], I will not be surprised when he leaves. Montgomery came into a difficult situation when he replaced George Gwozdecky--a coach who had won two NCAA titles as Denver's coach. Nevertheless, Montgomery took what was already a strong program and made it even stronger. While following Gwozdecky was a tough act, I think following Montgomery will be even tougher. He has done splendid job in leading the Pioneers' program.
    Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Rumor has it he will be coaching the Florida Panthers, but that is only a rumor. He didn't quiet NHL speculation last night, saying that it was his fourth year and he felt like he was graduating with his seniors.

Furthering the Maine connections with Denver ... serving a coaching consultant to Jim Montgomery has been Grant Standbrook. They were also together when Montgomery coached at Dubuque in the USHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Recruiting is the name of the game and players that what and buy into the Coaches system. Montgomery and his Assistants have recruited well and with also recruits from the last Staff...he still had to make them play and that's what he did...he's a Coach and there's no arguing that point.
    Id almost say, if red was coaching the du players and monty was coaching maines players, reds team would limp into the ncaa's coming in at 16, and monty would have gotten maine darn close but in top twenty for sure. The importance of coaching, inspiring, teaching, gaining respect and trust in the style.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 04-09-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
    Wally, Monty interviewed with Calgary last summer before deciding to stay with Denver. The NHL regular season ends today, and I'm guessing, there will be some firings which occur because certain teams did not make the playoffs. Jim Montgomery figures to be a leading candidate for an NHL head coaching job in light of the firings which will take place.

While I will be disappointed when Montgomery leaves for what I think will be an inevitable offer from an NHL team [whenever that may be], I will not be surprised when he leaves. Montgomery came into a difficult situation when he replaced George Gwozdecky--a coach who had won two NCAA titles as Denver's coach. Nevertheless, Montgomery took what was already a strong program and made it even stronger. While following Gwozdecky was a tough act, I think following Montgomery will be even tougher. He has done splendid job in leading the Pioneers' program.
    If he leaves at least he got DU another banner to raise.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Id almost say, if red was coaching the du players and monty was coaching maines players, reds team would limp into the ncaa's coming in at 16, and monty would have gotten maine darn close but in top twenty for sure. The importance of coaching, inspiring, teaching, gaining respect and trust in the style.
    I'm of pretty much the same mind. Maine might not be a tourney ready team, but their level of play, their compete level, and most of all, their mental toughness and preparedness would be a lot better than the current team's.

A lot of Maine fans, myself included, seem to think Maine needs to find that next young assistant looking for their first head coaching job, and after doing some reading today, I think any team that doesn't give David Carle a serious look in the next three or five years would be missing out.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Hupamone

If he leaves at least he got DU another banner to raise.
    I've held DU season tickets for over forty years and the program is in great health at present. Going back to the bulk of George Gwozdecky's tenure with the program and continuing through last night, Denver has won 20 or more games for 16 consecutive seasons. Denver has appeared in the NCAA tournament 13 of the past 16 years. In that time Denver has won 3 NCAA titles. It's fair to say that Denver expects to win at least 20 games each season, make it to the NCAA tournament and on occasion be a legitimate contender to win the national title. Jim Montgomery has certainly measured up on all three fronts. I hope he stays with the DU program for an extended period of time, but I understand NHL teams are likely to come calling and I won't begrudge Montgomery if he seizes the opportunity to coach an NHL team.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I'm of pretty much the same mind. Maine might not be a tourney ready team, but their level of play, their compete level, and most of all, their mental toughness and preparedness would be a lot better than the current team's.

A lot of Maine fans, myself included, seem to think Maine needs to find that next young assistant looking for their first head coaching job, and after doing some reading today, I think any team that doesn't give David Carle a serious look in the next three or five years would be missing out.
    Rufus, I agree completely with your assessment of David Carle. My own opinion is that if/when Jim Montgomery moves to the NHL, David Carle should be the first person to whom Denver's head coaching position is offered. By all accounts he is a gifted recruiter and sound tactician as a coach. Carle has been part of Monty's staff for four seasons. Yes, there's plenty of talent on this year's squad, but some of that talent has blossomed because of Carle's efforts and instruction.
    Eight. ....with a design on nine.

There was no joy in Orono.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    This. I havent seen players improve or develop under Red. Haven't seen the improved third period that was touted with improved conditioning. Hutton and Shore somehow regressed in yr 2 under Red and are both now NHL regulars.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Rumor has it he will be coaching the Florida Panthers, but that is only a rumor. He didn't quiet NHL speculation last night, saying that it was his fourth year and he felt like he was graduating with his seniors.
    There was a statement that Florida plans on talking to Montgomery and to AHL's San Diego Gulls Dallas Eakins for there opening and Dallas Stars have a opening also as Lindy Ruff will not be coming back. So there maybe many choice's for Montgomery in the next coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
    It's fair to say that Denver expects to win at least 20 games each season, make it to the NCAA tournament and on occasion be a legitimate contender to win the national title..

Maine fans expected that also for 20 years or so, now we expect to get crushed by fellow bottom feeders
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

rock and roller

Maine fans expected that also for 20 years or so, now we expect to get crushed by fellow bottom feeders
    I don't know if we expect it, but it certainly happens a lot more than it should.

Coach leach not returning next season

Coach leach not returning next season
    From twitter:
    Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
    Look for volunteer goaltending coach and former Black Bear star Alfie Michaud to replace Jay Leach as full-time assistant at Maine.

CHN article: Monty and the Gray Ghost

Get well soon Grant.

rock and roller

Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    From twitter:
    Jeff Cox‏ @JeffCoxSports
    Look for volunteer goaltending coach and former Black Bear star Alfie Michaud to replace Jay Leach as full-time assistant at Maine.
    Yeah, let's promote a guy who hasn't shown he can do his job yet. Typical Maine hockey.

Yeah, let's promote a guy who hasn't shown he can do his job yet. Typical Maine hockey.
    I'd be curious what you thought he did wrong last year. Not to mention he was working for free.

Right on...bring in some FRESH NEW EYE's/ Attitude/ Ideas that have no ties to the Maine Program...time for change.

Another NHL opening: Vancouver

rock and roller

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I'd be curious what you thought he did wrong last year. Not to mention he was working for free.
    Were you happy with the goaltending this past season?

Were you happy with the goaltending this past season?
    Hard to complain very much about a .910 save percentage after what we have seen in recent times. He was inconsistent though. I think the hope is that Swayman is the goalie Maine has been missing all these years.

Thread Information