Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game). However, I do recall the 2007 Maine-MSU semifinal game. I was sitting next to the less than full Maine section and at the time I had never seen a less enthusiastic group of Maine fans. Even Bananas looked sad and forlorn during the third period (the only mascot I had ever seen look sadder was Vermont's during the 1989 ECAC semifinal). I told my daughter, who really loved Bananas, to go up and give him a hug.

Sean
    Maine didn't get the rub of the green in 2006. A couple of Wisconsin's goals deflected off Maine's players and I think Maine was unlucky on another one as well. That was a good Wisconsin team though and I don't have too many complaints on the result.

In 2007 Soares had a chance to put Maine up 3-0 and the puck smashed against the bar. From there Maine completely capitulated.

If you look at Maine from 2006 to 2007 it was a miracle they made it back. They lost two very good forwards in Moore and Damon and two good third line forwards in Jankus and Shepherd. They only brought one decent player in, Teddy Purcell. I think a lot of us knew the end was fast approaching after the MSU game.

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game). However, I do recall the 2007 Maine-MSU semifinal game. I was sitting next to the less than full Maine section and at the time I had never seen a less enthusiastic group of Maine fans. Even Bananas looked sad and forlorn during the third period (the only mascot I had ever seen look sadder was Vermont's during the 1989 ECAC semifinal). I told my daughter, who really loved Bananas, to go up and give him a hug.

Sean
    Yes , that was St. Louis. I was there also, but not in the Maine section. That was a revenge game for Michigan State after being defeated by Maine the previous year in Albany.

Interesting article in the NY times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0

This comment really stands out: "More than half of all Division I teams (34) have reached the N.C.A.A. tournament in the last five years."

Quote Originally Posted by dogtagger View Post
    Interesting article in the NY times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0

This comment really stands out: "More than half of all Division I teams (34) have reached the N.C.A.A. tournament in the last five years."
    I think the talent is much more spread around than it used to be. The top of Hockey East was as bad this year as I have ever seen it and next year looks worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I think the talent is much more spread around than it used to be. The top of Hockey East was as bad this year as I have ever seen it and next year looks worse.
    Hockey East was bad..? Do you even watch the other Conferences..? Hockey East is always solid, not always great but solid through and through...yes the talent is now spread out more then it was 10-15 years ago. I'll put my money on Hockey East every year to put 3 teams at least and as many as 4-5 each year...

There was no joy in Orono.

The 06 team was quite strong. The dangle twins were the third line and theyre better than anybody we've had since Shore left.

The 07 team did get lucky, wasnt as deep and tended to wilt at the end of games. Not just vs MSU, they blew home leads vs UNH and BC too. But you cant discount the impact Ben Bishops late season injury had on that group and their swoon. No councidence they won that regional with him back in the nets.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    The 06 team was quite strong. The dangle twins were the third line and theyre better than anybody we've had since Shore left.

The 07 team did get lucky, wasnt as deep and tended to wilt at the end of games. Not just vs MSU, they blew home leads vs UNH and BC too. But you cant discount the impact Ben Bishops late season injury had on that group and their swoon. No councidence they won that regional with him back in the nets.
    Pretty sure dangle twins were on second line with Damon, moore was with levielle and soares on top line, and Shepherd, bellamy, and jankus were on third line. '06 was a good team but nowhere near the 2004 team.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Ryan and Hopson played with Rob Bellamy as I recall. Johnson Shepard and Damon were generally line two. Maybe it juggled. It was a team with a real top 9, top 12, haven't had that since. Altho the 10 and 11 teams had real good top 6s.

04 was superior in the back end and in net by leaps and bounds. 06 was probably better up front.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

10-20-2 in games I've attended since. (1-2-1 under Red)

Just watching the games yesterday you can see what it takes to win...GOALTENDING, a strong defense that knows how to clear the puck out of there own end and can skate out with it...speed also is the name of the game...all traits Maine is lacking. Watching those games shows what is missing...talent through and through the lineup. You can say what you want that there's talent on Maine...but really the Goaltending is sub-par, the defenseman would be 5-6 pairings, the forwards there would be one or two that could crack the 2nd line and mostly 3rd and 4th liners. Any ways it was good hockey to watch and should be another good day today. Can't beat Overtime hockey. Just comes down to missing the days that Maine was in contention not only for Hockey East titles but going to the NCAA's with a good chance they could be Frozen 4 bound.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Go Air Force BU has so much talent they don't even have to show up for most of the game. They have a goalie who kept them in the game and a guy who can dangle until someone was open. UND was gassed, they played so hard but once the goal was called back you knew they were dead. They didn't quit but it just wasn't going to happen.

Looks like Harvard might be decent also
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Pretty sure dangle twins were on second line with Damon, moore was with levielle and soares on top line, and Shepherd, bellamy, and jankus were on third line. '06 was a good team but nowhere near the 2004 team.
    Ryan and Hopson played with Rob Bellamy as I recall. Johnson Shepard and Damon were generally line two. Maybe it juggled. It was a team with a real top 9, top 12, haven't had that since. Altho the 10 and 11 teams had real good top 6s.

04 was superior in the back end and in net by leaps and bounds. 06 was probably better up front.
    I'm not sure who the dangle twins are, although you had two Hopsons on the team. However, you can check out the lineups for every game since 2002-03 over on collegehockeystats.net. The 2005-06 Maine schedule page has links to every game summary. I've looked at a few of them and I only remember a few of the players at all, most only slightly. I remember many players for the Maine teams of the 90s very well, so either they left less of an impression on me, or my short term memory is going.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Go Air Force BU has so much talent they don't even have to show up for most of the game. They have a goalie who kept them in the game and a guy who can dangle until someone was open. UND was gassed, they played so hard but once the goal was called back you knew they were dead. They didn't quit but it just wasn't going to happen.

Looks like Harvard might be decent also
    UND had them on the ropes in overtime, just came down to that BU's Goaltender was solid and made the saves you need to win Hardware. Clutch goaltending always wins out. Interesting to see Denver & UMass-Lowell today...those two teams could take home the Title also.

I'm not sure who the dangle twins are, although you had two Hopsons on the team. However, you can check out the lineups for every game since 2002-03 over on collegehockeystats.net. The 2005-06 Maine schedule page has links to every game summary. I've looked at a few of them and I only remember a few of the players at all, most only slightly. I remember many players for the Maine teams of the 90s very well, so either they left less of an impression on me, or my short term memory is going.

Sean
    Billy ryan and keenan hopson. Hands for days but soft and a bit turnover prone.

Keenans older brother John was a giant body and a really nice add for the 06 team.

Billy as i recall had one of the great Maine quotes of all time about not going to a Beanpot school bc you come to Maine to win national championships not Beanpots. Back when that kind of thing wasnt a punchline.
    Last edited by BoSox3066; 03-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Sean
    I never realized that, thanks for sharing. Did Keith Johnson have compromising pictures of Timmy or something? It's amazing that he was always on the top couple of lines. Maybe he was good in practice or something but I never rated him at all.

Does anyone know why Maine struggled so much in the 2004 playoffs? They won all their games up until the game against Denver by one goal and if I'm being honest didn't play that great of hockey outside of the third period against Harvard. I think part of it might have been the lineup but it must have been more than that. It was a mistake leaving Shepheard, Zabkowicz, and Soares out. It's a shame Acquino had all of his issues, was a massive talent and would have made a big difference.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Keenans older brother John was a giant body and a really nice add for the 06 team.

Billy as i recall had one of the great Maine quotes of all time about not going to a Beanpot school bc you come to Maine to win national championships not Beanpots. Back when that kind of thing wasnt a punchline.
    Thanks for the information. I do remember that quote and agree it's a great one.

Sean

NCAA Hockey Financials

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Dangled all day around the perimeter, but wouldn't dare take it to the net hard. I thought Ryan was starting to get it the end of his junior year, but back to his old self his senior year.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

I never realized that, thanks for sharing. Did Keith Johnson have compromising pictures of Timmy or something? It's amazing that he was always on the top couple of lines. Maybe he was good in practice or something but I never rated him at all.

Does anyone know why Maine struggled so much in the 2004 playoffs? They won all their games up until the game against Denver by one goal and if I'm being honest didn't play that great of hockey outside of the third period against Harvard. I think part of it might have been the lineup but it must have been more than that. It was a mistake leaving Shepheard, Zabkowicz, and Soares out. It's a shame Acquino had all of his issues, was a massive talent and would have made a big difference.
    That was the type of team it was. Defensive oriented(team-wide), hard-working, not particularly gifted offensively as the 6 on 4 against Denver indicated. Solid team top to bottom, but not special for any reason. Lunchpail types. I'm sure Grant had a lot to do with that.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game)......

Sean

I'll never forget that Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Wisconsin went on to defeat BC in the championship game after defeating Maine. The Bradley Center was a "sea of red". The building was filled with Wisconsin fans. With Wisconsin being in the championship game tickets were in high demand. I ended up selling mine and I watched the game in a bar next door.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    I'll never forget that Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Wisconsin went on to defeat BC in the championship game after defeating Maine. The Bradley Center was a "sea of red". The building was filled with Wisconsin fans. With Wisconsin being in the championship game tickets were in high demand. I ended up selling mine and I watched the game in a bar next door.
    I was there both nights, Big Ben didn't have his best game and Maine played ok but tough to beat Wisconsin on what was essentially home ice. The 2nd night I was sitting near BU fans, unreal how much those 2 idiots hated BC, they are still BU fans as I've seen them in Alfond wearing the same dirty white BU sweaters
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I was there both nights, Big Ben didn't have his best game and Maine played ok but tough to beat Wisconsin on what was essentially home ice. The 2nd night I was sitting near BU fans, unreal how much those 2 idiots hated BC, they are still BU fans as I've seen them in Alfond wearing the same dirty white BU sweaters
    I was there both nights as well, I just don't remember much about the games. Discussing it has gotten me to remember that I had an extra ticket and somehow I ended up being connected to a long time Wisconsin fan who bought it and was very thankful to be able to be there. There was no need for me to root against BC that game.

Sean

NCAA Hockey Financials

Thread Information