Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    I think a lot of them probably are. If they have been raising a few hundred thousand each year the money is coming from some place.
    Have they been raising a few hundred thousand/year? Wouldn't that be something to publicize if so?

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Have they been raising a few hundred thousand/year? Wouldn't that be something to publicize if so?
    I read somewhere that they had. I'll try to find it if I get time later.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    They dont need to give a million each....five figures would be worth it as a tax writeoff alone, if they felt proud/connected.

Issue to me is less the money and more that the program needs more of these alums and pros engaged and giving a pizz
    For all we know some alum may donate. Some like to do it quietly and aren't looking for their name on the building.
    Fund raising is an art, also have to have a good goal for the funds to interest donors. The AD dept had their sites on the field house the last several years, much needed and it turned a good.

Internet Nutcase

Yeah, but how much do they actually have left? Just taxes and agent fees eat up close to half of that. I'd be surprised if either one had more than $10MM or so in the bank. That's a lot compared to the rest of us but it has to last them the rest of their lives.
    that money isn't sitting in a savings account collecting 0.8% interest.

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    that money isn't sitting in a savings account collecting 0.8% interest.
    Ha, have you ever read about how athlete's do as far as investing money? I'd be surprised if there is a group of investors with a worse rate of return and quite a few wind up with all of their money gone. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of Maine's alumni but it's far from a slam dunk to think they are going to generate large returns.

Ha, have you ever read about how athlete's do as far as investing money? I'd be surprised if there is a group of investors with a worse rate of return and quite a few wind up with all of their money gone. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of Maine's alumni but it's far from a slam dunk to think they are going to generate large returns.
    It's not nearly all or most or even many. It happens to some. And moralizing reporters carrying water for owners who argue against paying their employees by saying "they wouldn't spend it right" are always excited to report on it.

The vast, vast, vast majority of professional athletes have plenty of money. The issue is that retiring at 33 means you have to stretch 10 years' income into 50 years of retirement.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Monty won Penrose. Now the whining can really begin. In case you guys didn't know, jimmy ain't walking thru that door. It's done. They hired Red. He hasn't lived up to the massive expectations we all have. So be it.
    I'm so done with massive expectations. I would truly settle for Timmay in his last years at this point; being over .500 and having a shot at a low seed in the NCAA's.

On the up-side, I've saved thousands over the past two years on travel expenses.

Now why can't WE get a coach like that? "Orono.......party up Orono"!

First off congrats to Denver and Monty. I cannot express how ****ed off I am the Maine athletic dept. Monty CALLED about the coaching position and the call went unanswered. I was talking with some Denver fans tonight and they told me they couldn't believe Maine didn't hire Monty. They asked me why Maine didn't respond to him. They knew all about it, I didn't need to tell them anything. I'm so mad at Maine right now, I don't even want to wear my jersey anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    First off congrats to Denver and Monty. I cannot express how ****ed off I am the Maine athletic dept. Monty CALLED about the coaching position and the call went unanswered. I was talking with some Denver fans tonight and they told me they couldn't believe Maine didn't hire Monty. They asked me why Maine didn't respond to him. They knew all about it, I didn't need to tell them anything. I'm so mad at Maine right now, I don't even want to wear my jersey anymore.
    I felt the same way that day in Pittsburgh @ the Frozen 4 that it was being reported that Denver was set to hire Montgomery...knowing full well that Maine had lost there chance at a Coach that would have started a rebuild...instead it is what it is...but still burns that there was no chance at bringing him in @ Maine. Maine lost and Denver gained. He's had a great 4 year start to his Div.1 Coaching Career and he earned it through hard work and dedication with his always thanking people down the line that have helped him out.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Don't know much about DU but how many players did jimmy bring in on that team? I would assume most were already lined up.?
    Next how many guys on maine could play for either team, not many is what I saw.
    That was a great game, fun to watch. Speed, physical, good goaltending, no one rolled over. All the things we haven't seen in years.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Don't know much about DU but how many players did jimmy bring in on that team? I would assume most were already lined up.?
    That was a great game, fun to watch. Speed, physical, good goaltending, no one rolled over. All the things we haven't seen in years.
    He's been there as long as red has been here, and everyone's so fond of pointing out that Red has finally gotten most of his own players in, so I'd assume the same with Denver. Lukosevicious is one of his as was mentioned in one of the articles.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    He's been there as long as red has been here, and everyone's so fond of pointing out that Red has finally gotten most of his own players in, so I'd assume the same with Denver. Lukosevicious is one of his as was mentioned in one of the articles.
    He had the hat trick? Pretty impressed with DU. They are fun to watch. Jimmy did well for sure. Wonder if nhl comes calling? Seems like a no brainer.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Three of the top four scorers were Gwozdecky recruits(including the hobey baker winner). It looks like maybe a third of the team was from him. I'm really happy for Jimmy but in some ways this is similar to the Red Sox in 2004. Theo made some great moves but Dan Duquette never gets anywhere close to the credit he deserves.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

rock and roller

Yeah, they play a fun style to watch. But guess you gotta have skills to be able to play that style, as well as a bunch of kids with hockey smarts.

Three of the top four scorers were Gwozdecky recruits(including the hobey baker winner). It looks like maybe a third of the team was from him. I'm really happy for Jimmy but in some ways this is similar to the Red Sox in 2004. Theo made some great moves but Dan Duquette never gets anywhere close to the credit he deserves.
    He still had to Coach the Team...and has done so quite well over the last four years...whomever the players are you have to push the buttons to make a team click at the rate that Denver has in the last four years...and that's 4 NCAA's and one National Championship.

Yeah, they play a fun style to watch. But guess you gotta have skills to be able to play that style, as well as a bunch of kids with hockey smarts.
    Recruiting is the name of the game and players that what and buy into the Coaches system. Montgomery and his Assistants have recruited well and with also recruits from the last Staff...he still had to make them play and that's what he did...he's a Coach and there's no arguing that point.

rock and roller

And the top three of four on Maine were TIMMAY's. What's your point?

And the top three of four on Maine were TIMMAY's. What's your point?
    Timmy's 3 wouldn't make the 4th line on either DU or umd

rock and roller

Timmy's 3 wouldn't make the 4th line on either DU or umd
    And that's where we are. Four years later, and still the three top scorers on a bad team.

Thread Information