X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    October 27&28 will be the UMD series. That leaves @RPI @Quinnipiac and vs Miami to schedule. Homecoming weekend is 13&14. If I were a betting man I'd say Miami comes that weekend.
    Looks like a decent OOC schedule, on paper... Question is, even if Maine gets way better next year, "way better" than what we have now is maybe flirting with .500 and a #29 PWR?

I'll always be a Bear. I've followed every game for a lot of years now, and I'm not stopping until they toss me into the incinerator.

BUT, I don't share the short-term enthusiasm here. My guess is that Maine will be a bottom-feeder for years to come. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any saviours among the recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      UMD will be visiting Maine in late October. Hoping to make the trip and check off a trip off my college hockey bucket list!
      Hope you can make it. Generally, October is a very nice month. You should plan on a day visit to the ocean with lobster on the luncheon menu.

Comment

As far as Portland goes, just play the UNH game there and be done with it.

....... Dump Portland.
        Not sure you want to "dump" Portland. I believe Gorham Savings Bank has been a generous sponsor the last couple of years. Could be others?

Comment

Possibility Byron does not sign with Pittsburgh and elects free agency. Perhaps seeking another organization that lacks the the talented young depth of Pittsburgh would represent a quicker path to the NHL...
          UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

As far as Portland goes, just play the UNH game there and be done with it.

In the three games in Portland the average attendance was 4370 (65% capacity) and the atmosphere was abysmal.
            15 games at Alfond averaged 4763 (93% capacity). Dump Portland.
            I've been researching true home attendance for Hockey East teams for over a year now and according to the game sheets I come up with an average attendance at Alfond of 4,338 for 15 games this season. Also, the median attendance was 4,088, meaning that the average was pulled up by the five listed sellouts.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Hockey East really messed up going to teams playing each other twice and I'm sure (real if you could ever get them) attendance figures back this up.
            I'm also working on a comparison of each team's attendance for the past eight seasons (2009-10 thru 2012-13 with 13/14 home league games and 2013-14 thru 2016-17 with 10/11 home league games). I already have the home attendance for all games, but I'm now working on obtaining league and non-league game averages for each team for the eight seasons. I have the information for this season and last season and it shows a bias by most team's fans for league games. This season 10 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games, while last season 8 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games. I hope to have more soon, which I will post in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created last year.

Sean
            Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-08-2017, 08:57 PM.
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              I've been researching true home attendance for Hockey East teams for over a year now and according to the game sheets I come up with an average attendance at Alfond of 4,338 for 15 games this season. Also, the median attendance was 4,088, meaning that the average was pulled up by the five listed sellouts.

I'm also working on a comparison of each team's attendance for the past eight seasons (2009-10 thru 2012-13 with 13/14 home league games and 2013-14 thru 2016-17 with 10/11 home league games). I already have the home attendance for all games, but I'm now working on obtaining league and non-league game averages for each team for the eight seasons. I have the information for this season and last season and it shows a bias by most team's fans for league games. This season 10 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games, while last season 8 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games. I hope to have more soon, which I will post in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created last year.

Sean
              I used the USCHO attendance numbers. Why the discrepancy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                Not saying you would want to do it, but I think if you filed freedom of information requests you could get the true attendance for a lot of teams. The fire departments responsible for each venue have to track this. Maine had some good crowds this year for a handful of games, but there were still quite a few games with only between 2k and 3k people.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I used the USCHO attendance numbers. Why the discrepancy?
                  The overall attendance figure minus the 3 games in Portland? It's possible corrections were made to Maine attendance figures, but I just checked and as of now the attendance figures on the Hockey East and USCHO websites both show 18 games and 78,177 total attendance. Subtracting the 13,110 for the 3 Portland games leaves 65,067 for the 15 games at Alfond.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    Not saying you would want to do it, but I think if you filed freedom of information requests you could get the true attendance for a lot of teams. The fire departments responsible for each venue have to track this. Maine had some good crowds this year for a handful of games, but there were still quite a few games with only between 2k and 3k people.
                    That may be and when comparing the Wisconsin and Minnesota announced figures from the actual figures obtained by reporters/others, there was a noticeable drop. However, as I wrote in the Men's Average Attendance thread, the official numbers give a good overview of the relative health of a program to itself. For example, this season Maine officially had 5 sellouts, 6 games between 3365 and 4,000 and 4 games with low 4000s. That gives me a good picture of the interest for Maine games at Alfond.

If you want to get the actual numbers I would be interested in seeing them and would use them in my data, but no,. I have no interest in trying to obtain actual numbers.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      Hope you can make it. Generally, October is a very nice month. You should plan on a day visit to the ocean with lobster on the luncheon menu.
                      Excellent! UMD is gaging interest in a fan trip, so hopefully that goes through.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        The overall attendance figure minus the 3 games in Portland? It's possible corrections were made to Maine attendance figures, but I just checked and as of now the attendance figures on the Hockey East and USCHO websites both show 18 games and 78,177 total attendance. Subtracting the 13,110 for the 3 Portland games leaves 65,067 for the 15 games at Alfond.

Sean
                        I just checked my math and I subtracted the capacity of the CIA instead of the attendance. This isn't a mistake I'd have made a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          Excellent! UMD is gaging interest in a fan trip, so hopefully that goes through.
                          Hope you guys do it!

I've spent time in Duluth, and I love the architecture downtown, the lake right on your front porch, and the amazing vistas of Superior as I drove through Beaver Bay (aptly named, in my experience ) all the way into Ontario.

I'm betting that the rocky shores of Maine will make you all feel right at home. I lovingly ate lake trout and walleye every night in Minnesota, but steamed clams and lobster don't suck, either.

(And the 'Dogs will almost certainly sweep Maine... What's not to love for a UMD fan?)
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Looks like a decent OOC schedule, on paper... Question is, even if Maine gets way better next year, "way better" than what we have now is maybe flirting with .500 and a #29 PWR?

I'll always be a Bear. I've followed every game for a lot of years now, and I'm not stopping until they toss me into the incinerator.

BUT, I don't share the short-term enthusiasm here. My guess is that Maine will be a bottom-feeder for years to come. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any saviours among the recruits.
                              I think you are saying what many feel but don't really want to admit, hoping for a miracle can be trying for the Black Bear faithful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                                So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?
                                We know from the Hartford Courant that the league schedule is 24 games. Each team will play half the league at home, half on the road. Each team will play an additional four games against teams chosen at random. There was talk of a math formula devised to make sure everyone plays a balanced schedule but that was never verified.

Comment

Working...
                                X