X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    But that's apples and oranges, isn't it? New England is highly regarded for their prep schools. People from all over the WORLD send their children here as an alternative to high school. There is no comparison with any other place, and TONS of people from out West send their kids "back East" because the education is just better, period. One of my best friend's niece is playing girl's hockey right now for Holderness. But recruiting to COLLEGE is another story. Here there's plenty of competition. With technology and the ease of travel, it's much tougher to sell a kid on Orono. He can go to Arizona for crying out loud and have warm weather all year round. I suspect pretty soon California colleges will be playing Division 1 hockey. Then you have the city schools, which are much more appealing for MOST kids. I'm not disparaging Tim...just saying that it was almost an impossible task to recruit a kid to Orono. This isn't the 1970s anymore.
    I agree with what you are saying, especially the last two sentences. However, Tim still has to sell his program to young talented hockey players. As you point out there are many fine academic prep schools in New England with quality hockey programs. He has some stiff competition. It took Kimball Union 35 years to win the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      I agree with what you are saying, especially the last two sentences. However, Tim still has to sell his program to young talented hockey players. As you point out there are many fine academic prep schools in New England with quality hockey programs. He has some stiff competition. It took Kimball Union 35 years to win the championship.
      Well, that was my point. People saying that he "couldn't recruit" weren't being totally fair. He was in pretty much an impossible situation. And for the people who say "Well, Shawn did it." That's another story that we won't go into...

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Won't be happening @ Maine for a long-long time. Recruiting is not up to par with a very rare diamond in the rough find. Until they shore up there goaltending and solve there defensive woes and those also point to there non winning "woes" on the road. This will be a under .500 Program that sniffs at a .500 season every once in awhile.
        How about we hire an assistant who can coach defense, instead of having two guys whose experience is at the forward position? Whoever's been handling the coaching of the defense, it obviously hasn't been very effective.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Yesterday Ryan Lomberg signed with the Calgary Flames. Looks like he will get his chance to impress at the big show. Would have been great if he was able to hang around for his last two years at Orono.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...rg/c-287813718
          UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            How about we hire an assistant who can coach defense, instead of having two guys whose experience is at the forward position? Whoever's been handling the coaching of the defense, it obviously hasn't been very effective.
            Hasn't been very effective since Campbell blair left
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              Hasn't been very effective since Campbell blair left
              I had my issues with his style, mainly the poke-check/stick the puck away rather than lay a body on someone, but perhaps that was what the head coach wanted from his D. At any rate, as you say, it was still more effective than what we're seeing now.

Walshy always said, you recruit speed, and you can always teach defense. Except, you apparently can't. Or you need better teachers.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Likely Maine 2017-18 non-conference schedule

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
                20-21 @ QC
                27-28 UMD

November 24-25 Friendship Four

December 30? UNH @Portland
                December/January Princeton (location TBA)

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
                  20-21 @ QC
                  27-28 UMD

That would be the best non-conference schedule Maine has had in at least 10 years. It would be nice to see them skip the exhibition game.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    That would be the best non-conference schedule Maine has had in at least 10 years. It would be nice to see them skip the exhibition game.
                    The exhibition game is a chance to play the redshirts and an extra game for the freshmen and a chance for the team to gel and...

None of that matters in reality. What matters is that it is another chance for the school to have a home game and sell tickets and concessions.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                      I had my issues with his style, mainly the poke-check/stick the puck away rather than lay a body on someone, but perhaps that was what the head coach wanted from his D. At any rate, as you say, it was still more effective than what we're seeing now.

Walshy always said, you recruit speed, and you can always teach defense. Except, you apparently can't. Or you need better teachers.
                      That was Tims style, Campbell used to tell his guys lay the body on folks. I understood from a guy who was close, he used tell his guys to ignore Tim. I'm sure thats one of the reasons he left
                      Last edited by walrus; 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Larry's article today looking at next season's schedule

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/2...?ref=SportsBox
                        UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

13-14 Miami (Homecoming)
                          20-21 @ QC
                          27-28 UMD

Close. Don't know what happened to Princeton, but I love that Maine plays @RPI early. Two very winnable road games so the players can get that monkey off the back right off the bat. UNH is gone (yay!) but no homecoming. So far Maine has no home games during winter break. The opponents on the OOC schedule have an average rank of 34.

Dates that we know at this time:
                          Oct 6-7 UConn (league games)
                          Oct 13-14 @RPI
                          Oct 20-21 Miami
                          Oct 27-28 UMD
                          Nov 24 Providence (league game, Friendship Four)
                          Nov 25 Clarkson/RPI (Friendship Four)
                          Dec 8-9 @Quinnipiac
                          Dec 30 @Brown

Most league dates are still unknown, but Maine will play BU and UNH at home twice/road once and BC and UMass road twice/home once this season (reversed next season).

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/2...t-next-season/

Comment

Good to see Lomberg sign with the flames. Hope he does well with that organization.
                            When you say Tim Whitehead, You haven't said much!!!

Comment

Remember when Maine played this late in the season? neither do I

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Remember when Maine played this late in the season? neither do I
                                If you can't remember five years ago you might want to get in your truck and head straight to st joes It is had to believe it's been 13 years since Maine went into the NCAA's and there was much hope/expectations.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X