X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    If you can't remember five years ago you might want to get in your truck and head straight to st joes It is had to believe it's been 13 years since Maine went into the NCAA's and there was much hope/expectations.
    Well, you are half right. Maine was in the tournament 5 years ago and appeared in the Frozen Four 11 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
      Well, you are half right. Maine was in the tournament 5 years ago and appeared in the Frozen Four 11 years ago.
      Yeah, I don't think the '05 through '07 teams were that great though. The '07 team had one of the easiest draws in the history of the NCAA tournament. You always hope for the best but 2004 was the last time where I thought Maine had what it took to win it all.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Yeah, I don't think the '05 through '07 teams were that great though. The '07 team had one of the easiest draws in the history of the NCAA tournament. You always hope for the best but 2004 was the last time where I thought Maine had what it took to win it all.
        You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but the 2006 team was also pretty good. Maine "man handled" Michigan State (similar to Maine now) in the Albany regional. I was at that regional and Maine dominated the Spartans by not giving them time and space. Michigan State had a rough game where it seemed they were continually icing the puck. At least we can talk about the past successes. And as I have said before, if Maine had Darling available to go with Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn that possibly could have been a Frozen Four team as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Michigan State (similar to Maine now) .
          I have to give it to Anastos for doing the right thing and stepping down. Their future looks brighter. A few hockey east coaches names are in the dialog as potentials, doubt it will be reality however.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but the 2006 team was also pretty good. Maine "man handled" Michigan State (similar to Maine now) in the Albany regional. I was at that regional and Maine dominated the Spartans by not giving them time and space. Michigan State had a rough game where it seemed they were continually icing the puck. At least we can talk about the past successes. And as I have said before, if Maine had Darling available to go with Spencer Abbott and Brian Flynn that possibly could have been a Frozen Four team as well.
            I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game). However, I do recall the 2007 Maine-MSU semifinal game. I was sitting next to the less than full Maine section and at the time I had never seen a less enthusiastic group of Maine fans. Even Bananas looked sad and forlorn during the third period (the only mascot I had ever seen look sadder was Vermont's during the 1989 ECAC semifinal). I told my daughter, who really loved Bananas, to go up and give him a hug.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              I don't even recall that Maine-Wisconsin semifinal game in 2006 (although I also don't recall the BC-UND semifinal and I barely recall the championship game). However, I do recall the 2007 Maine-MSU semifinal game. I was sitting next to the less than full Maine section and at the time I had never seen a less enthusiastic group of Maine fans. Even Bananas looked sad and forlorn during the third period (the only mascot I had ever seen look sadder was Vermont's during the 1989 ECAC semifinal). I told my daughter, who really loved Bananas, to go up and give him a hug.

Sean
              Maine didn't get the rub of the green in 2006. A couple of Wisconsin's goals deflected off Maine's players and I think Maine was unlucky on another one as well. That was a good Wisconsin team though and I don't have too many complaints on the result.

In 2007 Soares had a chance to put Maine up 3-0 and the puck smashed against the bar. From there Maine completely capitulated.

If you look at Maine from 2006 to 2007 it was a miracle they made it back. They lost two very good forwards in Moore and Damon and two good third line forwards in Jankus and Shepherd. They only brought one decent player in, Teddy Purcell. I think a lot of us knew the end was fast approaching after the MSU game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
                Yes , that was St. Louis. I was there also, but not in the Maine section. That was a revenge game for Michigan State after being defeated by Maine the previous year in Albany.

Comment

Interesting article in the NY times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0

This comment really stands out: "More than half of all Division I teams (34) have reached the N.C.A.A. tournament in the last five years."

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
                    Interesting article in the NY times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/s...eams.html?_r=0

This comment really stands out: "More than half of all Division I teams (34) have reached the N.C.A.A. tournament in the last five years."
                    I think the talent is much more spread around than it used to be. The top of Hockey East was as bad this year as I have ever seen it and next year looks worse.

Comment

I think the talent is much more spread around than it used to be. The top of Hockey East was as bad this year as I have ever seen it and next year looks worse.
                      Hockey East was bad..? Do you even watch the other Conferences..? Hockey East is always solid, not always great but solid through and through...yes the talent is now spread out more then it was 10-15 years ago. I'll put my money on Hockey East every year to put 3 teams at least and as many as 4-5 each year...

Comment

The 06 team was quite strong. The dangle twins were the third line and theyre better than anybody we've had since Shore left.

The 07 team did get lucky, wasnt as deep and tended to wilt at the end of games. Not just vs MSU, they blew home leads vs UNH and BC too. But you cant discount the impact Ben Bishops late season injury had on that group and their swoon. No councidence they won that regional with him back in the nets.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                          The 06 team was quite strong. The dangle twins were the third line and theyre better than anybody we've had since Shore left.

The 07 team did get lucky, wasnt as deep and tended to wilt at the end of games. Not just vs MSU, they blew home leads vs UNH and BC too. But you cant discount the impact Ben Bishops late season injury had on that group and their swoon. No councidence they won that regional with him back in the nets.
                          Pretty sure dangle twins were on second line with Damon, moore was with levielle and soares on top line, and Shepherd, bellamy, and jankus were on third line. '06 was a good team but nowhere near the 2004 team.

Comment

Ryan and Hopson played with Rob Bellamy as I recall. Johnson Shepard and Damon were generally line two. Maybe it juggled. It was a team with a real top 9, top 12, haven't had that since. Altho the 10 and 11 teams had real good top 6s.

04 was superior in the back end and in net by leaps and bounds. 06 was probably better up front.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Just watching the games yesterday you can see what it takes to win...GOALTENDING, a strong defense that knows how to clear the puck out of there own end and can skate out with it...speed also is the name of the game...all traits Maine is lacking. Watching those games shows what is missing...talent through and through the lineup. You can say what you want that there's talent on Maine...but really the Goaltending is sub-par, the defenseman would be 5-6 pairings, the forwards there would be one or two that could crack the 2nd line and mostly 3rd and 4th liners. Any ways it was good hockey to watch and should be another good day today. Can't beat Overtime hockey. Just comes down to missing the days that Maine was in contention not only for Hockey East titles but going to the NCAA's with a good chance they could be Frozen 4 bound.

Comment

Go Air Force BU has so much talent they don't even have to show up for most of the game. They have a goalie who kept them in the game and a guy who can dangle until someone was open. UND was gassed, they played so hard but once the goal was called back you knew they were dead. They didn't quit but it just wasn't going to happen.

Looks like Harvard might be decent also
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X