This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    Well some of us don't like to be negative nellies, unlike most of you guys. Maine is fully capable of sweeping NU at home, splitting with ND (at home) and winning at Merrimack. Merrimack is not Minnesota-Duluth or North Dakota.
    I just look at it that maine couldnt get a win out of miami, colgate, unh, uvm. While figuring there was no chance for a win with bu, bc or providence. ND defense will likely shut maine down. Merrimack on the road, hmmm. Maybe a split with NU.

But any D1 team can get a win from another on a weekend.

Comment

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
      I just look at it that maine couldnt get a win out of miami, colgate, unh, uvm. While figuring there was no chance for a win with bu, bc or providence. ND defense will likely shut maine down. Merrimack on the road, hmmm. Maybe a split with NU.

But any D1 team can get a win from another on a weekend.
      Eight of the nine games you reference were away from home. Maine should have done better against Colgate and UNH though.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Eight of the nine games you reference were away from home. Maine should have done better against Colgate and UNH though.

It's not impossible that Maine and UNH will play each other in a first-round series, and I love Maine's chances if that happens. UNH has really been tanking so far in the second half.

Comment

It's not impossible that Maine and UNH will play each other in a first-round series, and I love Maine's chances if that happens. UNH has really been tanking so far in the second half.
          Remember that these will be ROAD GAMES, bigger sheet of ice...I see more negatives then pluses in this series. Plus Tirone has Maine's number in goal...he plays lights out versus Maine.

Comment

Well some of us don't like to be negative nellies, unlike most of you guys. Maine is fully capable of sweeping NU at home, splitting with ND (at home) and winning at Merrimack. Merrimack is not Minnesota-Duluth or North Dakota.
            They can play with anyone and they also can lose to everyone...sad fact.

Comment

You guys treat every team like they're the 2002 red wings. Notre Dame is decent enough but Merrimack and Northeastern are nothing special. Only two of the games are on the road.
              AND one of these games versus Notre Dame is sort of on the road...@ Portland.

Comment

You guys treat every team like they're the 2002 red wings. Notre Dame is decent enough but Merrimack and Northeastern are nothing special. Only two of the games are on the road.
                You're right, of course. As someone said a few pages back, the current degree of parity in D-1 is unprecedented, and very few teams are automatic wins or automatic losses anymore. Still, I'm sticking with my prediction of no more that 12 wins this season.

All Maine needs to get competitive again is 3 or 4 better-than-average forwards, and a truly quality goalie. Not exactly seeing that in the pipeline right now, but you never know how the recruits will pan-out.

One thing I can say with certainty is this: if Maine doesn't go over .500 next year, and at least flirt with home ice in the HE playoffs, Red must go. He's already become the worst coach in Maine history, IMO.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Of course Maine is capable of beating these teams, will they? Most of us base predictions what they have done on the ice. Based on that they are more likely to lose then they are to win. I see 3 points, anymore than that will be great
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

One thing I can say with certainty is this: if Maine doesn't go over .500 next year, and at least flirt with home ice in the HE playoffs, Red must go. He's already become the worst coach in Maine history, IMO.
                    It just might need to come to that. Id say if the AD doesnt start to do a under the radar search for the next coach, soon, he is out of touch. Get some coach prospects in sight and pursue who you want in one or two years. Keep Red in a recruiting, fundraising, program mentoring roll.??

Comment

You're right, of course. As someone said a few pages back, the current degree of parity in D-1 is unprecedented, and very few teams are automatic wins or automatic losses anymore. Still, I'm sticking with my prediction of no more that 12 wins this season.

All Maine needs to get competitive again is 3 or 4 better-than-average forwards, and a truly quality goalie. Not exactly seeing that in the pipeline right now, but you never know how the recruits will pan-out.

Hopefully Swayman is the goalie we have missed since Bishop. He looks promising but time will tell.

I think a lot of fans don't realize how good Chase Pearson is. If he doesn't get hurt he will have the most goals by a freshman since Colin Shields. He plays good D and is great on face-offs too.

There are a few good prospects in next year's class but again time will tell. Hopefully Doherty is a difference maker as well. It will be very interesting who comes and goes in the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        It just might need to come to that. Id say if the AD doesnt start to do a under the radar search for the next coach, soon, he is out of touch. Get some coach prospects in sight and pursue who you want in one or two years. Keep Red in a recruiting, fundraising, program mentoring roll.??
                        I truly have nothing against Red, but I don't see him as being a fit in any of those roles... None of 'em.

He's made his money at Maine, and he can laugh all the way to the bank if Maine fires him after next season.

But on the ice, he's been a dismal failure so far. No if's, and's or but's about that.

Comment

I truly have nothing against Red, but I don't see him as being a fit in any of those roles... None of 'em.

He's made his money at Maine, and he can laugh all the way to the bank if Maine fires him after next season.

But on the ice, he's been a dismal failure so far. No if's, and's or but's about that.
                          Look what he was left with though. His last full class had six forwards in it, only two of them were good enough to make it to senior year. Byron has been good and Brown decent but out of six players you need more than that.

The bigger failure was what was left for recruits. There were six players left and three weren't even D1 players (Morris, Salerno, and Bjorkung), one was borderline D1 (Badger), one was an okay D1 player (Cloonan), and one was a decent D1 player but with issues (Pecararo). Timmy has completely gotten a free pass for this failure.

Comment

I dont disagree, unfortunately for the players, school and the fans its been a bust. Red knows hockey and seems to be respected in the hockey world. Must be something there that can support the program.

Comment

McGovern last week could not be blamed for any of the PC goals. He was pretty solid between the pipes but the rest of the team besides Byron were forgettable.
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Look what he was left with though. His last full class had six forwards in it, only two of them were good enough to make it to senior year. Byron has been good and Brown decent but out of six players you need more than that.

The bigger failure was what was left for recruits. There were six players left and three weren't even D1 players (Morris, Salerno, and Bjorkung), one was borderline D1 (Badger), one was an okay D1 player (Cloonan), and one was a decent D1 player but with issues (Pecararo). Timmy has completely gotten a free pass for this failure.
                                Not giving him a free pass by any means, but you have to admit that two of his guys are easily Maine's best players...

Saw Byron and Brown in their first two games wearing a Maine sweater. Could tell right off the bat that were special. Not seeing "special" from any of Red's recruits.

Comment

Working...
                                X