X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Sorry, but this is just a dumb comment. No matter how we play, it'll still be better than Maine. Plus, we played pretty decent against them a couple of weeks ago. Two ties on the road ain't bad!
    It's the playoffs. Anything can happen (just ask RIT). However, I expect to see Lowell vs Providence and a great BC vs BU game when I get to Boston in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      I used to have season tickets in those first three rows. We were at every game, as were our row mates. We just waited until the first whistle of the first period to move up 3-4 rows into whatever seat was empty. Of the four or five others I keep in touch with who sat near us, 2 no longer have season tickets, and the others all stopped paying donor prices and got better seats. I'd be shocked if those seats back there are bought and paid for at this point.
      I would be too, since they are no longer donor seats. They are blue or white or whatever color the marketing department assigned them and vastly overpriced. I understand the attraction to certain fans - near the bench, can see the players up close, get your sign on TV etc, but for those of us who want to watch the game those seats aren't great.

Other schools are tracking this data and it wouldn't surprise me if Maine is too. Based on which tickets are scanned on game nights they know who attends regularly and who doesn't. If they wanted they could reasonably predict who would be willing to pay through the nose for donor seats and who actually cares enough to come to games and might be a little more concerned about price fluctuations and the quality of the product. Again, total speculation on my part. Maybe the school won't do that. Maybe the school doesn't have the resources to read that data. However, those data exist somewhere and could be analyzed for just such a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        I used to have season tickets in those first three rows. We were at every game, as were our row mates. We just waited until the first whistle of the first period to move up 3-4 rows into whatever seat was empty. Of the four or five others I keep in touch with who sat near us, 2 no longer have season tickets, and the others all stopped paying donor prices and got better seats. I'd be shocked if those seats back there are bought and paid for at this point.
        Yes indeed, I had a seat there the last year Walsh was alive...and you are correct, once the game was started or about 10 minutes into the 1st period...we would move up also to see the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          I would be too, since they are no longer donor seats. They are blue or white or whatever color the marketing department assigned them and vastly overpriced. I understand the attraction to certain fans - near the bench, can see the players up close, get your sign on TV etc, but for those of us who want to watch the game those seats aren't great.

Other schools are tracking this data and it wouldn't surprise me if Maine is too. Based on which tickets are scanned on game nights they know who attends regularly and who doesn't. If they wanted they could reasonably predict who would be willing to pay through the nose for donor seats and who actually cares enough to come to games and might be a little more concerned about price fluctuations and the quality of the product. Again, total speculation on my part. Maybe the school won't do that. Maybe the school doesn't have the resources to read that data. However, those data exist somewhere and could be analyzed for just such a purpose.
          The conundrum for the athletic department is they need both more money and more fan support. In a lot of ways these are mutually exclusive. It will be interesting to see what they reveal in May.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Larry Mahoney went back into the archives and found this gem. Vermont's goal tender (Stefanos Lekkas), became the first in Hockey East history to shut out Maine in a playoff game on Friday night.
            Assume that's Hockey East only because Maine was shut out 1-0 by Denver in the '04 national title game
            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

On a different NOTE, but involving Maine Hockey...and that's on the WOMENS side...Congratulations to #21 Teraza Vasinova for being named Co-Rookie of the Year in Hockey East. 1st Major Award in Maine Women's Hockey. She is quite a talent and worth going to watch.

Comment

Per Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant Maine and UConn will open the season with a pair at Alfond Arena. I have a question in to him about the exact dates (Oct 6/7 seem likely) and how many Hockey East games are on the schedule. If he answers I'll relay it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  Boy now that's shows how smart you are...wow...breath air much? Vermont is such a hot bed..??? Use to be when St.Louis/Thomas and Perrin were there...but its no Paradise either. I guess Hazing still thrives at UVM. Good Luck versus BC next weekend...but don't book any trips to the NCAA's this year.
                  That guy is an NU fan

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                    Assume that's Hockey East only because Maine was shut out 1-0 by Denver in the '04 national title game
                    Yes, Hockey East playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      Per Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant Maine and UConn will open the season with a pair at Alfond Arena. I have a question in to him about the exact dates (Oct 6/7 seem likely) and how many Hockey East games are on the schedule. If he answers I'll relay it.
                      Would think if that is the case then the 30 game league schedule is likely on. It will be a very interesting season if that is what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                        Thank you so much for reminding me, it's not like I ever think about that game anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Would think if that is the case then the 30 game league schedule is likely on. It will be a very interesting season if that is what happens.
                          It isn't. I heard back from him and he said a 24-game schedule. He didn't confirm the dates but those are the ones that make sense. Glad my source was wrong and I posted incorrect information. The more I thought about it the less likely it seemed that BC, BU and Northeastern would agree to play essentially two non-conference games each season. I still cannot find a press release or anything official. I also don't know how Mike got ahold of the UConn schedule this early. One wonders if UConn's schedule is finalized, is Maine's?

Assuming Mike is correct, Maine will have 10 non-conference games to fill. Reverting back to what we knew before:
                          2 @RPI, 2 @QC
                          2 vs Miami
                          Friendship Four second game
                          vs UNH in Portland

That would leave two games, ostensibly a home weekend series against...someone.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Funny, but Vermont seems to be able to recruit some decent players. Can score, play some solid defense, and a goaltender who can stop the puck. Anyway, at least that's what it looked like this weekend. Their location isn' t exactly the center of the world. State school, too. Why can they do, but all we do is whine about location and make excuses?
                            I had this conversation a few days ago on the Black Bear women's thread. Basically, it's why Vermont seems to recruit far better than Maine in women's hockey. You can check out the thread. Both teams have long bus rides and are fairly remote. I was quickly informed of how vibrant a community Burlington is over Orono by someone who has traveled all over the country. Young people apparently find Burlington very attractive. I was in Burlington last summer and I must say I found the down town section (Church St.) very appealing and took a cruise on Lake Champlain. They have a wonderful farmers market in the summer. Location is important in attracting student athletes as well as the "selling " of the program by the head coach. I think another contributing factor is the amount of financial resources Vermont is able to put toward hockey. They have no football or baseball program. This must help both hockey and basketball. They still have an old ice arena and I am not sure about their training facility. Apparently, their recruits over look the benefits of modern arenas. I am sure Gutterson draws very well in terms of attendance but I have never been there for a game. All just my opinion.

I like their team and I expect them to do well against BC.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                              Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.
                              I agree with you, people here think we are destined to fall elow Massachusetts, but I think we will finish 8th next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                I agree with you, people here think we are destined to fall elow Massachusetts, but I think we will finish 8th next season.
                                I think Maine will certainly be a more balanced team with a new goalie and some new dmen, one who is supposed to be very good. The thing that concerns me is Maine has underperformed the last couple of years to where they should have been. Maine basically had seven freebies last year and in the other games were 4-21-4. Maine wasn't a great team this year but they surely had the talent to be much better than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X