Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 988

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

  1. #481
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,230

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    October 27&28 will be the UMD series. That leaves @RPI @Quinnipiac and vs Miami to schedule. Homecoming weekend is 13&14. If I were a betting man I'd say Miami comes that weekend.
    Looks like a decent OOC schedule, on paper... Question is, even if Maine gets way better next year, "way better" than what we have now is maybe flirting with .500 and a #29 PWR?

    I'll always be a Bear. I've followed every game for a lot of years now, and I'm not stopping until they toss me into the incinerator.

    BUT, I don't share the short-term enthusiasm here. My guess is that Maine will be a bottom-feeder for years to come. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any saviours among the recruits.

  2. #482
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,896

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    UMD will be visiting Maine in late October. Hoping to make the trip and check off a trip off my college hockey bucket list!
    Hope you can make it. Generally, October is a very nice month. You should plan on a day visit to the ocean with lobster on the luncheon menu.

  3. #483
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,896

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    As far as Portland goes, just play the UNH game there and be done with it.

    ....... Dump Portland.
    Not sure you want to "dump" Portland. I believe Gorham Savings Bank has been a generous sponsor the last couple of years. Could be others?

  4. #484
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    108

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Possibility Byron does not sign with Pittsburgh and elects free agency. Perhaps seeking another organization that lacks the the talented young depth of Pittsburgh would represent a quicker path to the NHL...

  5. #485
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,119

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    As far as Portland goes, just play the UNH game there and be done with it.

    In the three games in Portland the average attendance was 4370 (65% capacity) and the atmosphere was abysmal.
    15 games at Alfond averaged 4763 (93% capacity). Dump Portland.
    I've been researching true home attendance for Hockey East teams for over a year now and according to the game sheets I come up with an average attendance at Alfond of 4,338 for 15 games this season. Also, the median attendance was 4,088, meaning that the average was pulled up by the five listed sellouts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Hockey East really messed up going to teams playing each other twice and I'm sure (real if you could ever get them) attendance figures back this up.
    I'm also working on a comparison of each team's attendance for the past eight seasons (2009-10 thru 2012-13 with 13/14 home league games and 2013-14 thru 2016-17 with 10/11 home league games). I already have the home attendance for all games, but I'm now working on obtaining league and non-league game averages for each team for the eight seasons. I have the information for this season and last season and it shows a bias by most team's fans for league games. This season 10 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games, while last season 8 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games. I hope to have more soon, which I will post in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created last year.

    Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-08-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  6. #486
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I've been researching true home attendance for Hockey East teams for over a year now and according to the game sheets I come up with an average attendance at Alfond of 4,338 for 15 games this season. Also, the median attendance was 4,088, meaning that the average was pulled up by the five listed sellouts.

    I'm also working on a comparison of each team's attendance for the past eight seasons (2009-10 thru 2012-13 with 13/14 home league games and 2013-14 thru 2016-17 with 10/11 home league games). I already have the home attendance for all games, but I'm now working on obtaining league and non-league game averages for each team for the eight seasons. I have the information for this season and last season and it shows a bias by most team's fans for league games. This season 10 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games, while last season 8 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games. I hope to have more soon, which I will post in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created last year.

    Sean
    I used the USCHO attendance numbers. Why the discrepancy?

  7. #487
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    3,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I've been researching true home attendance for Hockey East teams for over a year now and according to the game sheets I come up with an average attendance at Alfond of 4,338 for 15 games this season. Also, the median attendance was 4,088, meaning that the average was pulled up by the five listed sellouts.

    I'm also working on a comparison of each team's attendance for the past eight seasons (2009-10 thru 2012-13 with 13/14 home league games and 2013-14 thru 2016-17 with 10/11 home league games). I already have the home attendance for all games, but I'm now working on obtaining league and non-league game averages for each team for the eight seasons. I have the information for this season and last season and it shows a bias by most team's fans for league games. This season 10 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games, while last season 8 of 12 teams had higher average and median attendance for league games. I hope to have more soon, which I will post in the Average Men's Attendance thread I created last year.

    Sean
    Not saying you would want to do it, but I think if you filed freedom of information requests you could get the true attendance for a lot of teams. The fire departments responsible for each venue have to track this. Maine had some good crowds this year for a handful of games, but there were still quite a few games with only between 2k and 3k people.

  8. #488
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,119

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I used the USCHO attendance numbers. Why the discrepancy?
    The overall attendance figure minus the 3 games in Portland? It's possible corrections were made to Maine attendance figures, but I just checked and as of now the attendance figures on the Hockey East and USCHO websites both show 18 games and 78,177 total attendance. Subtracting the 13,110 for the 3 Portland games leaves 65,067 for the 15 games at Alfond.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  9. #489
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,119

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Not saying you would want to do it, but I think if you filed freedom of information requests you could get the true attendance for a lot of teams. The fire departments responsible for each venue have to track this. Maine had some good crowds this year for a handful of games, but there were still quite a few games with only between 2k and 3k people.
    That may be and when comparing the Wisconsin and Minnesota announced figures from the actual figures obtained by reporters/others, there was a noticeable drop. However, as I wrote in the Men's Average Attendance thread, the official numbers give a good overview of the relative health of a program to itself. For example, this season Maine officially had 5 sellouts, 6 games between 3365 and 4,000 and 4 games with low 4000s. That gives me a good picture of the interest for Maine games at Alfond.

    If you want to get the actual numbers I would be interested in seeing them and would use them in my data, but no,. I have no interest in trying to obtain actual numbers.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials

  10. #490
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,644

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Hope you can make it. Generally, October is a very nice month. You should plan on a day visit to the ocean with lobster on the luncheon menu.
    Excellent! UMD is gaging interest in a fan trip, so hopefully that goes through.
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  11. #491
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    888

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The overall attendance figure minus the 3 games in Portland? It's possible corrections were made to Maine attendance figures, but I just checked and as of now the attendance figures on the Hockey East and USCHO websites both show 18 games and 78,177 total attendance. Subtracting the 13,110 for the 3 Portland games leaves 65,067 for the 15 games at Alfond.

    Sean
    I just checked my math and I subtracted the capacity of the CIA instead of the attendance. This isn't a mistake I'd have made a few years ago.

  12. #492
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,230

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Excellent! UMD is gaging interest in a fan trip, so hopefully that goes through.
    Hope you guys do it!

    I've spent time in Duluth, and I love the architecture downtown, the lake right on your front porch, and the amazing vistas of Superior as I drove through Beaver Bay (aptly named, in my experience ) all the way into Ontario.

    I'm betting that the rocky shores of Maine will make you all feel right at home. I lovingly ate lake trout and walleye every night in Minnesota, but steamed clams and lobster don't suck, either.

    (And the 'Dogs will almost certainly sweep Maine... What's not to love for a UMD fan?)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.

  13. #493
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?

  14. #494
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,265

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Looks like a decent OOC schedule, on paper... Question is, even if Maine gets way better next year, "way better" than what we have now is maybe flirting with .500 and a #29 PWR?

    I'll always be a Bear. I've followed every game for a lot of years now, and I'm not stopping until they toss me into the incinerator.

    BUT, I don't share the short-term enthusiasm here. My guess is that Maine will be a bottom-feeder for years to come. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any saviours among the recruits.
    I think you are saying what many feel but don't really want to admit, hoping for a miracle can be trying for the Black Bear faithful.

  15. #495
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?
    We know from the Hartford Courant that the league schedule is 24 games. Each team will play half the league at home, half on the road. Each team will play an additional four games against teams chosen at random. There was talk of a math formula devised to make sure everyone plays a balanced schedule but that was never verified.

  16. #496
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SoPo
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    So what is the SCOOP on Hockey East schedule for next season with 11 teams..? I had heard/read that they wanted to play 4 games versus some teams and 2 games versus the rest with it being a unbalance schedule to be switched each year until there is a Team #12, which Hockey East said they would not hurry into. So is it a 24 HEA schedule with 10 out of Conference games..? OC to date..? AWAY: RPI, Quinnipiac - Home: UMD, Miami/Ohio..? I know that I have seen it here over and over but is there a real schedule in play..?
    Two against six teams (home and home), three against four teams (two teams two games home one away, two teams two games away one game home).
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  17. #497
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    644

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Two against six teams (home and home), three against four teams (two teams two games home one away, two teams two games away one game home).
    Any idea how the league will decide which teams you play two against and which you play three times? Will they take rivalries or records into account, or will it be at random?
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

  18. #498
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,896

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Felger View Post
    Any idea how the league will decide which teams you play two against and which you play three times? Will they take rivalries or records into account, or will it be at random?
    Could use this year's standings? Bottom 5 teams play each other 3 times and play the top 6 teams twice? For example, Maine would play BU,BC, UML, Providence,Vermont and Merrimack twice (12 games). Three games against NU, Connecticut, UNH (maintain rivalry) and UMass (12 games). This may keep the league competitive in terms of points?

  19. #499
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    On the Contrary
    Posts
    644

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Could use this year's standings? Bottom 5 teams play each other 3 times and play the top 6 teams twice? For example, Maine would play BU,BC, UML, Providence,Vermont and Merrimack twice (12 games). Three games against NU, Connecticut, UNH (maintain rivalry) and UMass (12 games). This may keep the league competitive in terms of points?
    Works for me, probably for you guys as well
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

  20. #500
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,896

    Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

    I'll even give you 1 game at Durham, 1 game at Manchester and the other at Alfond. Whoops. I don't think you are a UNH fan.
    Last edited by Runsub5; 03-14-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added correction.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •