Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I agree that you can't completely judge any player you haven't personally seen, but the statistics on many of Maine's recruits gives something to at least be cautiously hopeful for. We have three players who were point-per-game players or better coming in (Adam Dawe, Adrian Holesinsky, and Brady Keeper) and a fourth if you count Eduards Tralmaks, who had 29-27-55 in 40 games last year and has been batting injury trouble this year, and Keeper is a defenseman. Two more are just a touch under the PPG mark (Emil Westerlund, Brent Hill), and can add more down the wing in most cases. And while I realize that offense is the area of least concern for Maine, D is even harder to quantify from stats than forward or goalies are, but they have two potentially game-changing blueliners (Keeper and Alexis Binner) coming in, with more potential depth also waiting behind them. According to collegehockeyinc, we don't have a goalie coming in, which could be a problem, but that would leave us with only two, so maybe they have it wrong and Ben Beck or Jeremy Swayman will be headed to Orono in the fall. Speaking of recruits, who does Connecticut have coming in that jumps out at you? They already can't score, and with no particularly skilled freshman expected to head to Storrs and them graduating a goalie, they don't figure to be a particularly scary opponent. And for that matter, how about New Hampshire? They also have nobody coming in able to even dream of replacing Kelleher, who carried their offense for most of the season (UNH as a team scored 118 goals, Kelleher had 62 points, so he had a hand in a lot of of their offense this year), and their defense was about just as bad as ours this season. They are getting a goalie already picked in the NHL draft, Mike Robinson, but with their offense trying to offset the loss of Kelleher and minimal reinforcements on D, he can probably only do so much. As such, I don't think it's out of the question at all for Maine to pass UConn or UNH in the standings next year.
    As of right now, Adam Dawe (according to news release from SJHL) & Brent Hill are not coming to Orono next year. For now expect Swayman to come next fall unless another netminder is picked up which would push hime back to 2018. Keeper is difficult to project in NCAA at this point, he certainly has the ability to benefit on the Power Play, defensive ability at this level yet to be determined. Binner certainly and Spicer probably would have started for Maine this year. As for UNH, they have a done a good job recruiting incoming blueliners for their system. Liam Darcy especially will be very good in Umile's system.
    Last edited by Bhall44; 03-06-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Information for those folks who are discounting UMass from finishing ahead of Maine next year. A poster on the RPI thread reminded me of his accomplishments.

Recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Union; recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Providence and recruited a Western Michigan team that is currently 7th in the pairwise before taking the Assistant job at UMass.
    Last edited by Runsub5; 03-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Information for those folks who are discounting UMass from finishing ahead of Maine next year. A poster on the RPI thread reminded me of his accomplishments.

Recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Union; recruited a National Championship team while he was assistant at Providence and recruited a Western Michigan team that is currently 7th in the pairwise before taking the Assistant job at UMass.
    That's stretching the truth a bit. He had his hand in each but they weren't solely his recruits. I would assume he is gone anyway so it shouldn't matter. Umass might improve in time but I would be surprised next year if they are better than Maine.

How many college and professional rings does Red have?

What's the fine print the financial wizards always use? "Past performance is not indicative of future success"?

Ryan McLaughlin posted in the Facebook group that Coach told Larry Minnesota-Duluth is coming to Alfond Arena next year. He also confirmed Miami will be here for a pair. It will be the first visit by Miami since the Dexter Classic in 1993 and UMD's first since January 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Ryan McLaughlin posted in the Facebook group that Coach told Larry Minnesota-Duluth is coming to Alfond Arena next year. He also confirmed Miami will be here for a pair. It will be the first visit by Miami since the Dexter Classic in 1993 and UMD's first since January 1988.
    Random schedule question...if Maine is still going to play some teams all home or all away, will the draw for the four random games be setup to not allow all three games home or away against one team?

I hope they don't go overboard with the Portland games again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Random schedule question...if Maine is still going to play some teams all home or all away, will the draw for the four random games be setup to not allow all three games home or away against one team?

I hope they don't go overboard with the Portland games again this year.
    I would certainly hope that is a factor. For example, Maine should be playing two at UMA next season. If they are scheduled for two extra I would hope they are in Orono. However I have heard nothing to indicate that either way.

As far as Portland goes, just play the UNH game there and be done with it.

In the three games in Portland the average attendance was 4370 (65% capacity) and the atmosphere was abysmal.
    15 games at Alfond averaged 4763 (93% capacity). Dump Portland.

In the three games in Portland the average attendance was 4370 (65% capacity) and the atmosphere was abysmal.
    Ive been saying that for three years. Home ice is orono.

Bump to move Asian spam off first page.

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar

Bump

Or, if you are coming to Portland, actually advertise it down here.

Optimists vs. Pessimists is Larry's article in Bangor Daily news. 3 straight seasons with at least 20 losses is unacceptable. Gendron quote, "I know next year will be an outstanding year for our program".

Here's the article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/0...246c2-82709093

Optimists vs. Pessimists is Larry's article in Bangor Daily news. 3 straight seasons with at least 20 losses is unacceptable. Gendron quote, "I know next year will be an outstanding year for our program".

Here's the article.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/0...246c2-82709093
    It was encouraging to hear that Doherty and Pieper should help. I don't think we can expect much from Herner. Maybe he will develop but who knows. It will be interesting to see what they do with all the recruits. Bhall mentioned that Dawe was deferring and now Tralmaks could as well. At some point they are going to have to part with either recruits or kids on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhall44 View Post
    As of right now, Adam Dawe (according to news release from SJHL) & Brent Hill are not coming to Orono next year. For now expect Swayman to come next fall unless another netminder is picked up which would push hime back to 2018. Keeper is difficult to project in NCAA at this point, he certainly has the ability to benefit on the Power Play, defensive ability at this level yet to be determined. Binner certainly and Spicer probably would have started for Maine this year. As for UNH, they have a done a good job recruiting incoming blueliners for their system. Liam Darcy especially will be very good in Umile's system.

UNH is going to have a hard time scoring goals next year IMO. I won't be surprised if they join UMass in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    UNH is going to have a hard time scoring goals next year IMO. I won't be surprised if they join UMass in the basement.
    Impossible to make that assessment. BU had (supposedly) the "#1" recruiting class in the country this year, finished SEVENTH in Hockey East in goals scored and tied for first place because they led the league in goals against. Point being that the whole may be greater or less than the sum of the parts.

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Quote Originally Posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    Well of course I am mega biased towards the 'Cats but I doubt they will have a "hard time". I think it will be a major adjustment with the loss of Tyler K of course...but they will come along. Guess we'll find out.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Impossible to make that assessment. BU had (supposedly) the "#1" recruiting class in the country this year, finished SEVENTH in Hockey East in goals scored and tied for first place because they led the league in goals against. Point being that the whole may be greater or less than the sum of the parts.
    Totally agree. That being said...UNH will feel the loss of Tyler K. But I think they will be ok once they work it out. Basement in HE is relative when you talk about the teams from 8 on down anyway. Good point about BU.
    Let's Go 'Cats!

Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar

UMD will be visiting Maine in late October. Hoping to make the trip and check off a trip off my college hockey bucket list!
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

October 27&28 will be the UMD series. That leaves @RPI @Quinnipiac and vs Miami to schedule. Homecoming weekend is 13&14. If I were a betting man I'd say Miami comes that weekend.

Thread Information