Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

On a different NOTE, but involving Maine Hockey...and that's on the WOMENS side...Congratulations to #21 Teraza Vasinova for being named Co-Rookie of the Year in Hockey East. 1st Major Award in Maine Women's Hockey. She is quite a talent and worth going to watch.

Per Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant Maine and UConn will open the season with a pair at Alfond Arena. I have a question in to him about the exact dates (Oct 6/7 seem likely) and how many Hockey East games are on the schedule. If he answers I'll relay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Boy now that's shows how smart you are...wow...breath air much? Vermont is such a hot bed..??? Use to be when St.Louis/Thomas and Perrin were there...but its no Paradise either. I guess Hazing still thrives at UVM. Good Luck versus BC next weekend...but don't book any trips to the NCAA's this year.
    That guy is an NU fan

Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Assume that's Hockey East only because Maine was shut out 1-0 by Denver in the '04 national title game
    Yes, Hockey East playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Per Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant Maine and UConn will open the season with a pair at Alfond Arena. I have a question in to him about the exact dates (Oct 6/7 seem likely) and how many Hockey East games are on the schedule. If he answers I'll relay it.
    Would think if that is the case then the 30 game league schedule is likely on. It will be a very interesting season if that is what happens.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Assume that's Hockey East only because Maine was shut out 1-0 by Denver in the '04 national title game
    Thank you so much for reminding me, it's not like I ever think about that game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Would think if that is the case then the 30 game league schedule is likely on. It will be a very interesting season if that is what happens.
    It isn't. I heard back from him and he said a 24-game schedule. He didn't confirm the dates but those are the ones that make sense. Glad my source was wrong and I posted incorrect information. The more I thought about it the less likely it seemed that BC, BU and Northeastern would agree to play essentially two non-conference games each season. I still cannot find a press release or anything official. I also don't know how Mike got ahold of the UConn schedule this early. One wonders if UConn's schedule is finalized, is Maine's?

Assuming Mike is correct, Maine will have 10 non-conference games to fill. Reverting back to what we knew before:
    2 @RPI, 2 @QC
    2 vs Miami
    Friendship Four second game
    vs UNH in Portland

That would leave two games, ostensibly a home weekend series against...someone.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Funny, but Vermont seems to be able to recruit some decent players. Can score, play some solid defense, and a goaltender who can stop the puck. Anyway, at least that's what it looked like this weekend. Their location isn' t exactly the center of the world. State school, too. Why can they do, but all we do is whine about location and make excuses?
    I had this conversation a few days ago on the Black Bear women's thread. Basically, it's why Vermont seems to recruit far better than Maine in women's hockey. You can check out the thread. Both teams have long bus rides and are fairly remote. I was quickly informed of how vibrant a community Burlington is over Orono by someone who has traveled all over the country. Young people apparently find Burlington very attractive. I was in Burlington last summer and I must say I found the down town section (Church St.) very appealing and took a cruise on Lake Champlain. They have a wonderful farmers market in the summer. Location is important in attracting student athletes as well as the "selling " of the program by the head coach. I think another contributing factor is the amount of financial resources Vermont is able to put toward hockey. They have no football or baseball program. This must help both hockey and basketball. They still have an old ice arena and I am not sure about their training facility. Apparently, their recruits over look the benefits of modern arenas. I am sure Gutterson draws very well in terms of attendance but I have never been there for a game. All just my opinion.

I like their team and I expect them to do well against BC.

University of Maine Class of 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.
    I agree with you, people here think we are destined to fall elow Massachusetts, but I think we will finish 8th next season.

Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I agree with you, people here think we are destined to fall elow Massachusetts, but I think we will finish 8th next season.
    I think Maine will certainly be a more balanced team with a new goalie and some new dmen, one who is supposed to be very good. The thing that concerns me is Maine has underperformed the last couple of years to where they should have been. Maine basically had seven freebies last year and in the other games were 4-21-4. Maine wasn't a great team this year but they surely had the talent to be much better than that.

Only if HE loses three more teams.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

I agree with you, people here think we are destined to fall below Massachusetts.......
    Just my opinion, but I don't see Guite and Gendron out competing Ben Barr and Greg Carvel for talent and ability to sell the program. Now that Seth Appert has been fired at RPI , Ben Barr seems to be a favorite for the coaching position by RPI fans.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    Only if HE loses three more teams.
    I don't see why folks are optimistic about players they have never seen play. In the 17 class several guys who were supposed to make an impact didnt. Losing byron and brown takes a large part of the offense away. But D and goaltending are where maine lacks. I'll wait and see on that

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I don't see why folks are optimistic about players they have never seen play. In the 17 class several guys who were supposed to make an impact didnt. Losing byron and brown takes a large part of the offense away. But D and goaltending are where maine lacks. I'll wait and see on that
    Are you referring to this year's freshmen class? I'd be curious who other than Pappalardo you were disappointed with. To have one guy disappoint isn't out of the ordinary. I guess you could say Herner and Doherty were disappointing but I don't think it was their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Are you referring to this year's freshmen class? I'd be curious who other than Pappalardo you were disappointed with. To have one guy disappoint isn't out of the ordinary. I guess you could say Herner and Doherty were disappointing but I don't think it was their fault.
    Hoglund also,
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

University of Maine Class of 2020

I agree that you can't completely judge any player you haven't personally seen, but the statistics on many of Maine's recruits gives something to at least be cautiously hopeful for. We have three players who were point-per-game players or better coming in (Adam Dawe, Adrian Holesinsky, and Brady Keeper) and a fourth if you count Eduards Tralmaks, who had 29-27-55 in 40 games last year and has been batting injury trouble this year, and Keeper is a defenseman. Two more are just a touch under the PPG mark (Emil Westerlund, Brent Hill), and can add more down the wing in most cases. And while I realize that offense is the area of least concern for Maine, D is even harder to quantify from stats than forward or goalies are, but they have two potentially game-changing blueliners (Keeper and Alexis Binner) coming in, with more potential depth also waiting behind them. According to collegehockeyinc, we don't have a goalie coming in, which could be a problem, but that would leave us with only two, so maybe they have it wrong and Ben Beck or Jeremy Swayman will be headed to Orono in the fall. Speaking of recruits, who does Connecticut have coming in that jumps out at you? They already can't score, and with no particularly skilled freshman expected to head to Storrs and them graduating a goalie, they don't figure to be a particularly scary opponent. And for that matter, how about New Hampshire? They also have nobody coming in able to even dream of replacing Kelleher, who carried their offense for most of the season (UNH as a team scored 118 goals, Kelleher had 62 points, so he had a hand in a lot of of their offense this year), and their defense was about just as bad as ours this season. They are getting a goalie already picked in the NHL draft, Mike Robinson, but with their offense trying to offset the loss of Kelleher and minimal reinforcements on D, he can probably only do so much. As such, I don't think it's out of the question at all for Maine to pass UConn or UNH in the standings next year.
    Last edited by amkirby10; 03-06-2017 at 02:55 PM.

I agree that you can't completely judge any player you haven't personally seen, but the statistics on many of Maine's recruits gives something to at least be cautiously hopeful for. We have three players who were point-per-game players or better coming in (Adam Dawe, Adrian Holesinsky, and Brady Keeper) and a fourth if you count Eduards Tralmaks, who had 29-27-55 in 40 games last year and has been batting injury trouble this year, and Keeper is a defenseman. Two more are just a touch under the PPG mark (Emil Westerlund, Brent Hill), and can add more down the wing in most cases. And while I realize that offense is the area of least concern for Maine, D is even harder to quantify from stats than forward or goalies are, but they have two potentially game-changing blueliners (Keeper and Alexis Binner) coming in, with more potential depth also waiting behind them. According to collegehockeyinc, we don't have a goalie coming in, which could be a problem, but that would leave us with only two, so maybe they have it wrong and Ben Beck or Jeremy Swayman will be headed to Orono in the fall. Speaking of recruits, who does Connecticut have coming in that jumps out at you? They already can't score, and with no particularly skilled freshman expected to head to Storrs and them graduating a goalie, they don't figure to be a particularly scary opponent. And for that matter, how about New Hampshire? They also have nobody coming in able to even dream of replacing Kelleher, who carried their offense for most of the season (UNH as a team scored 118 goals, Kelleher had 62 points, so he had a hand in more than half of their offense this year), and their defense was about just as bad as ours this season. They are getting a goalie already picked in the NHL draft, Mike Robinson, but with their offense trying to offset the loss of Kelleher and minimal reinforcements on D, he can probably only do so much. As such, I don't think it's out of the question at all for Maine to pass UConn or UNH in the standings next year.
    Swayman signed his letter of intent and is expected on campus in the fall. I would think he is an improvement in what we have had since Oullette graduated.

Again stats mean little. Gibson had great stats, others did also and they aren't even on the team. What's the competition they are playing against? Last but not least I'm not convinced Red knows how to put them in a position to win.

I don't see why folks are optimistic about players they have never seen play.
    I have seen most of them play and fans being optimistic is justified.

In the 17 class several guys who were supposed to make an impact didnt.
    Arguably top defenseman and centerman both Freshman and were highly touted coming in.

Losing byron and brown takes a large part of the offense away.
    Absolutely true. Also is fair to state that both were defensive liabilities which leads to your next point....

But D and goaltending are where maine lacks.
    Couldn't be more true. We all knew this coming into the season though. Also worth noting Rob made big improvements from his Freshman season. I would also add, from a player personnel standpoint, Maine lacked the forward depth for a true third line.

I'll wait and see on that
    That's all we can do... And hope that coaching staff can does their jobs.

No doubt on the 3rd line. 2 lines aren't going to cut it in hockey east.

Thread Information