Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Rumor has it He had some past issue that supposedly was cause for concern. So that's the excuse for Maine not getting their **** together quick enough.

No matter at this point. He isn't walking through that door.
    It wasn't just a rumor. I believe he admitted at the time that he had made a mistake in the past. Like most of us, we all exercise poor judgement at times in life. Hopefully, we learn from it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    .......... in an area where there is not a lot of geographical competition.
    Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    It wasn't just a rumor. I believe he admitted at the time that he had made a mistake in the past. Like most of us, we all exercise poor judgement at times in life. Hopefully, we learn from it and move on.
    True enough on all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    All time Hockey East leading scorer. Captain of the 1993 Maine national championship team.

Here's a Wikipedia bio
    Actually he's Maine's all-time career scorer. In HE games, Lowell's Jon Morris is Hockey East's all time leading scorer, Montgomery is sixth. Records HERE.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

There was no joy in Orono.

Personal issue aside Montgomery's also making $50-100k more a year at Denver than he would have here. Even if the offers were both there at the same time, You think he wouldve said no thanks to the $$ to toil in Orono? I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Personal issue aside Montgomery's also making $50-100k more a year at Denver than he would have here. Even if the offers were both there at the same time, You think he wouldve said no thanks to the $$ to toil in Orono? I have my doubts.
    You are exactly correct, IMO. If I recall Jim met with Abbott, if i had to guess he was feeling out what maine could pay vs denver and what maines decision timing would be. He probably had a deadline to respond to Denver. I suspect all things equal he might have come here. He made the best decision at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    You are exactly correct, IMO. If I recall Jim met with Abbott, if i had to guess he was feeling out what maine could pay vs denver and what maines decision timing would be. He probably had a deadline to respond to Denver. I suspect all things equal he might have come here. He made the best decision at the time.
    The following is from a Bangor Daily News article written by Larry Mahoney April 13, 2013. This article appeared when Denver was about to announce the hiring of Montgomery.

"Montgomery had said last week he had hoped UMaine officials would contact him about applying for the vacant Maine job but they didn’t.

He said Thursday he was “shocked and stunned” that they hadn’t and he added that there was “no doubt in my mind” he could return the program to national prominence."

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    The following is from a Bangor Daily News article written by Larry Mahoney April 13, 2013. This article appeared when Denver was about to announce the hiring of Montgomery.

"Montgomery had said last week he had hoped UMaine officials would contact him about applying for the vacant Maine job but they didn’t.

He said Thursday he was “shocked and stunned” that they hadn’t and he added that there was “no doubt in my mind” he could return the program to national prominence."
    This past season when we played each other in ManchVegas I met a guy who said he was on the selection team and felt Red's resume was too good to ignore or something to that effect...fwiw dept.

Anyway good luck tonight make it interesting as we hope to...

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    This past season when we played each other in ManchVegas I met a guy who said he was on the selection team and felt Red's resume was too good to ignore or something to that effect....
    How's that working out?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Montgomery never met with Abbott on this. He had a phone call with him. Abbott told me as much on the phone a few days after the BDN article. And there was no (automatic) offer to Monty to take the Maine job. Monty didn't use Maine at all to land the DU job. Maine had just canned The Undertaker days before and had not even set up their search committee yet. Abbott and Monty spoke some time in that brief period.
    Denver on the other hand unexpectedly fired Gwozdecky mostly out of the blue and grabbed Montgomery within about 10 days IIRC.
    All the Maine sentiment was to hire Montgomery, and that's what everybody remembers. Maine was very slow footed and the search committee effort took too long but produced several candidates. There was no offer to Monty and Denver grabbed him very very quickly, and justifiably so as evidenced by their current program and result.
    And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's😊, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.

I bleed Blue, I donate to the program, I wish them all the luck in the hockey world tonight, but it ain't gonna happen. Maine has not won an away game at an opponent's home rink since 1/30/16 at UMass, let alone a playoff game.
    Last edited by DoubleA; 03-04-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    How's that working out?
    Duh, hind sight is pretty good now isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
    Montgomery never met with Abbott on this. He had a phone call with him. And there was no (automatic) offer to Monty to take the Maine job. Monty didn't use Maine at all to land the DU job. Maine had just canned The Undertaker days before and had not even set up their search committee yet. Abbott and Monty spoke some time in that brief period.
    Denver on the other hand unexpectedly fired Gwozdecky mostly out of the blue and grabbed Montgomery within about 10 days IIRC.
    All the Maine sentiment was to hire Montgomery, and that's what everybody remembers. Maine was very slow footed and the search committee effort took too long but produced several candidates. There was no offer to Monty and Denver grabbed him very very quickly, and justifiably so as evidenced by their current program and result.
    And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's😊, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.

I bleed blue, I donate to the program, I wish them all the luck in the hockey world tonight, but it ain't gonna happen. Maine has not won an away game in an opponent's home rink since 1/30/16 at UMass.
    There is always next year

Duh, hind sight is pretty good now isn't it
    It wasn't a criticism. I'd like nothing better than to see Maine competitive again. I miss those days.

There is always next year
    Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.

Wally the eternal (sarcastic) optimist. At the risk of being screamed on here at fan forum, I honestly do believe that there will be a much better team and result in the '17-18 season.
    We all hope that, talent looks better although d is still going to be suspect. I thought they had a chance at vermont, shows what I know
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Non clutch goaltending and swiss cheese defense sinks this team each and every game...let alone the road woes that is a crutch in there heads. If this does not point to a lack luster Coaching staff and players that can't or won't buy into playing all three zones. There 11-20-4 for a reason and finishing in 11th place is where they deserve to be.

And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's��, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.
    Thanks for clarification, I remember hearing there was some form of communication.
    As far as recruiting, if your saying the challenges exist because of recent success I can see that for sure. Good players will want to go to winning programs no matter where they are located. Good players may also come to rebuilding programs to get ice time and be a key part of a team where they may not be able to do at a more successful school.
    If your saying its because of the location, school or/and facility etc, I'm not sure I fully agree. There are other more successful D1 programs than Maine in locations, schools that I would think to be less desirable. Everyone has their preferences. Its more complicated than just location.

Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Actually he's Maine's all-time career scorer. In HE games, Lowell's Jon Morris is Hockey East's all time leading scorer, Montgomery is sixth. Records HERE.
    Ahh, I see. I got my info HERE.
    Perhaps the all-time leader when OOC is included?
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Ahh, I see. I got my info HERE.
    Perhaps the all-time leader when OOC is included?
    Yeah, a little creative writing on DU's part. Here's another HE link that shows Morris is the all-time scoring leader. OCC isn't taken into account for HE scoring.

And for fun I checked the 30th anniversary HE media guide from 2013-14 and right there, smack on page 103 which is a full page photo as a lead-in to the league record section is "Former Lowell Forward Jon Morris, Hockey East's All-Time Leading Scorer"
    Last edited by riverchief1; 03-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Seth Woodcock was on when Dan during the first intermission and said a couple interesting things...The first is that they should hear next month on regional in Portland. The second thing was that in the offseason they are going to completely change the donor/season ticket programs. I would expect they are going to ask for more money. Not really the best time for it in my opinion.

Thread Information