This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    He wasn't even considered to interview for the Maine job, was he? How'd he use Maine?

2005-'06: volunteer assistant coach at Notre Dame
    2006-'10: Assistant coach at RPI
    2010-'13: Head Coach/General Manager of the Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL
    2013- Present: Head coach at the University of Denver
    Sorry, don't know the backstory here. No connection to Maine with these jobs. Was he a former player at Maine? Did he give any indication he had an interest in the Maine job? Thanks.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      Sorry, don't know the backstory here. No connection to Maine with these jobs. Was he a former player at Maine? Did he give any indication he had an interest in the Maine job? Thanks.
      All time Hockey East leading scorer. Captain of the 1993 Maine national championship team.

Here's a Wikipedia bio
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas
        ...... Did he give any indication he had an interest in the Maine job? Thanks.
        He most definitely had an interest in the Maine job. The Maine AD, administration and human resources could not collaborate quick enough to hire him. As others have pointed out, Denver swooped in and offered him the position at Denver. In fairness to Montgomery, it was the best decision for he and his family. Who knows how long it would have taken Maine to go through interviews and eventually offer him the position?

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          He most definitely had an interest in the Maine job. The Maine AD, administration and human resources could not collaborate quick enough to hire him. As others have pointed out, Denver swooped in and offered him the position at Denver. In fairness to Montgomery, it was the best decision for he and his family. Who knows how long it would have taken Maine to go through interviews and eventually offer him the position?
          Rumor has it He had some past issue that supposedly was cause for concern. So that's the excuse for Maine not getting their **** together quick enough.

No matter at this point. He isn't walking through that door.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Rumor has it He had some past issue that supposedly was cause for concern. So that's the excuse for Maine not getting their **** together quick enough.

Also he has a tremendous situation at one of the all-time great college hockey programs in an area where there is not a lot of geographical competition.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

It wasn't just a rumor. I believe he admitted at the time that he had made a mistake in the past. Like most of us, we all exercise poor judgement at times in life. Hopefully, we learn from it and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                .......... in an area where there is not a lot of geographical competition.
                Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                  It wasn't just a rumor. I believe he admitted at the time that he had made a mistake in the past. Like most of us, we all exercise poor judgement at times in life. Hopefully, we learn from it and move on.
                  True enough on all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    All time Hockey East leading scorer. Captain of the 1993 Maine national championship team.

Here's a Wikipedia bio
                    Actually he's Maine's all-time career scorer. In HE games, Lowell's Jon Morris is Hockey East's all time leading scorer, Montgomery is sixth. Records HERE.
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Personal issue aside Montgomery's also making $50-100k more a year at Denver than he would have here. Even if the offers were both there at the same time, You think he wouldve said no thanks to the $$ to toil in Orono? I have my doubts.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                        Personal issue aside Montgomery's also making $50-100k more a year at Denver than he would have here. Even if the offers were both there at the same time, You think he wouldve said no thanks to the $$ to toil in Orono? I have my doubts.
                        You are exactly correct, IMO. If I recall Jim met with Abbott, if i had to guess he was feeling out what maine could pay vs denver and what maines decision timing would be. He probably had a deadline to respond to Denver. I suspect all things equal he might have come here. He made the best decision at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                          You are exactly correct, IMO. If I recall Jim met with Abbott, if i had to guess he was feeling out what maine could pay vs denver and what maines decision timing would be. He probably had a deadline to respond to Denver. I suspect all things equal he might have come here. He made the best decision at the time.
                          The following is from a Bangor Daily News article written by Larry Mahoney April 13, 2013. This article appeared when Denver was about to announce the hiring of Montgomery.

"Montgomery had said last week he had hoped UMaine officials would contact him about applying for the vacant Maine job but they didn’t.

He said Thursday he was “shocked and stunned” that they hadn’t and he added that there was “no doubt in my mind” he could return the program to national prominence."

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            The following is from a Bangor Daily News article written by Larry Mahoney April 13, 2013. This article appeared when Denver was about to announce the hiring of Montgomery.

"Montgomery had said last week he had hoped UMaine officials would contact him about applying for the vacant Maine job but they didn’t.

He said Thursday he was “shocked and stunned” that they hadn’t and he added that there was “no doubt in my mind” he could return the program to national prominence."
                            This past season when we played each other in ManchVegas I met a guy who said he was on the selection team and felt Red's resume was too good to ignore or something to that effect...fwiw dept.

Anyway good luck tonight make it interesting as we hope to...
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              This past season when we played each other in ManchVegas I met a guy who said he was on the selection team and felt Red's resume was too good to ignore or something to that effect....
                              How's that working out?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                                Montgomery never met with Abbott on this. He had a phone call with him. Abbott told me as much on the phone a few days after the BDN article. And there was no (automatic) offer to Monty to take the Maine job. Monty didn't use Maine at all to land the DU job. Maine had just canned The Undertaker days before and had not even set up their search committee yet. Abbott and Monty spoke some time in that brief period.
                                Denver on the other hand unexpectedly fired Gwozdecky mostly out of the blue and grabbed Montgomery within about 10 days IIRC.
                                All the Maine sentiment was to hire Montgomery, and that's what everybody remembers. Maine was very slow footed and the search committee effort took too long but produced several candidates. There was no offer to Monty and Denver grabbed him very very quickly, and justifiably so as evidenced by their current program and result.
                                And again for the 100th time, would you rather be Montgomery (or Quinn or Leaman or York or Jeff Jackson) trying to recruit top kids to Denver or Red and Ben Guite trying to recruit top kids to Orono? That is the number one constant issue Maine faces, and one that is not going to change anytime soon. Particularly given Maine's current performance. I spent two terms at Orono, Reagan's and Carter's😊, and it's a very tough locale and climate, especially today, to get top kids to commit to.

I bleed Blue, I donate to the program, I wish them all the luck in the hockey world tonight, but it ain't gonna happen. Maine has not won an away game at an opponent's home rink since 1/30/16 at UMass, let alone a playoff game.
                                Last edited by DoubleA; 03-04-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X