This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    These announcers already have Montgomery going to the NHL. Jeez...slow down a little...
    While I agree with you, is it that crazy to think of Montgomery being with the Avalanche in the next couple years? Considering the state of the Avs, and the quick rise through the coaching ranks by Montgomery, it's not out of the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great Day for Hockey View Post
      While I agree with you, is it that crazy to think of Montgomery being with the Avalanche in the next couple years? Considering the state of the Avs, and the quick rise through the coaching ranks by Montgomery, it's not out of the question.
      It depends on what is important to him. He could spend the rest of his career there and be another legend like York, Parker, Gwordzdecky, etc. Job security is not great in the NHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Yeah, but how much do they actually have left? Just taxes and agent fees eat up close to half of that. I'd be surprised if either one had more than $10MM or so in the bank. That's a lot compared to the rest of us but it has to last them the rest of their lives.
        They dont need to give a million each....five figures would be worth it as a tax writeoff alone, if they felt proud/connected.

Issue to me is less the money and more that the program needs more of these alums and pros engaged and giving a pizz

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Correct. Word is he is completely done with hockey. Wouldn't even go to Selanne's jersey retirement.
          PK coming to Orono next fall is as likely as Maine winning a NC next year
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            They dont need to give a million each....five figures would be worth it as a tax writeoff alone, if they felt proud/connected.

Issue to me is less the money and more that the program needs more of these alums and pros engaged and giving a pizz
            I think a lot of them probably are. If they have been raising a few hundred thousand each year the money is coming from some place.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2nd verse same as the first 2016-2017

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              I think a lot of them probably are. If they have been raising a few hundred thousand each year the money is coming from some place.
              Have they been raising a few hundred thousand/year? Wouldn't that be something to publicize if so?

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                Have they been raising a few hundred thousand/year? Wouldn't that be something to publicize if so?
                I read somewhere that they had. I'll try to find it if I get time later.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

For all we know some alum may donate. Some like to do it quietly and aren't looking for their name on the building.
                  Fund raising is an art, also have to have a good goal for the funds to interest donors. The AD dept had their sites on the field house the last several years, much needed and it turned a good.

Comment

Yeah, but how much do they actually have left? Just taxes and agent fees eat up close to half of that. I'd be surprised if either one had more than $10MM or so in the bank. That's a lot compared to the rest of us but it has to last them the rest of their lives.
                    that money isn't sitting in a savings account collecting 0.8% interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      that money isn't sitting in a savings account collecting 0.8% interest.
                      Ha, have you ever read about how athlete's do as far as investing money? I'd be surprised if there is a group of investors with a worse rate of return and quite a few wind up with all of their money gone. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of Maine's alumni but it's far from a slam dunk to think they are going to generate large returns.

Comment

Ha, have you ever read about how athlete's do as far as investing money? I'd be surprised if there is a group of investors with a worse rate of return and quite a few wind up with all of their money gone. Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of Maine's alumni but it's far from a slam dunk to think they are going to generate large returns.
                        It's not nearly all or most or even many. It happens to some. And moralizing reporters carrying water for owners who argue against paying their employees by saying "they wouldn't spend it right" are always excited to report on it.

The vast, vast, vast majority of professional athletes have plenty of money. The issue is that retiring at 33 means you have to stretch 10 years' income into 50 years of retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Monty won Penrose. Now the whining can really begin. In case you guys didn't know, jimmy ain't walking thru that door. It's done. They hired Red. He hasn't lived up to the massive expectations we all have. So be it.
                          I'm so done with massive expectations. I would truly settle for Timmay in his last years at this point; being over .500 and having a shot at a low seed in the NCAA's.

On the up-side, I've saved thousands over the past two years on travel expenses.

Comment

Now why can't WE get a coach like that? "Orono.......party up Orono"!

Comment

First off congrats to Denver and Monty. I cannot express how ****ed off I am the Maine athletic dept. Monty CALLED about the coaching position and the call went unanswered. I was talking with some Denver fans tonight and they told me they couldn't believe Maine didn't hire Monty. They asked me why Maine didn't respond to him. They knew all about it, I didn't need to tell them anything. I'm so mad at Maine right now, I don't even want to wear my jersey anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                                First off congrats to Denver and Monty. I cannot express how ****ed off I am the Maine athletic dept. Monty CALLED about the coaching position and the call went unanswered. I was talking with some Denver fans tonight and they told me they couldn't believe Maine didn't hire Monty. They asked me why Maine didn't respond to him. They knew all about it, I didn't need to tell them anything. I'm so mad at Maine right now, I don't even want to wear my jersey anymore.
                                I felt the same way that day in Pittsburgh @ the Frozen 4 that it was being reported that Denver was set to hire Montgomery...knowing full well that Maine had lost there chance at a Coach that would have started a rebuild...instead it is what it is...but still burns that there was no chance at bringing him in @ Maine. Maine lost and Denver gained. He's had a great 4 year start to his Div.1 Coaching Career and he earned it through hard work and dedication with his always thanking people down the line that have helped him out.

Comment

Working...
                                X