Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1002

Thread: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Re: The PPACA Thread Part IV - Repeal & Replace, or Something...

Hey if Mitch wants to hold on to the anchor as it gets thrown overboard I wont stop him
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Hey if Mitch wants to hold on to the anchor as it gets thrown overboard I wont stop him
    Me neither. At this point, there are some Republicans whom I wouldn't throw water on if they were on fire. Such is America in the 21st century. SAD.

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Me neither. At this point, there are some Republicans whom I wouldn't throw water on if they were on fire. Such is America in the 21st century. SAD.
    are there ANY? I certainly wouldn't **** on any of the current republican members of congress if they were on fire. The last Republican I had any respect for was Jon Huntsman, and that went out the window when he endorsed Trump during the campaign.

Lucia Apologist

Huntsman endorsed trump?

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    are there ANY? I certainly wouldn't **** on any of the current republican members of congress if they were on fire. The last Republican I had any respect for was Jon Huntsman, and that went out the window when he endorsed Trump during the campaign.
    Evan McMullin is a decent guy, though I know he's technically an "independent" since last year. I don't agree with most of his positions, but he's consistent and mature in his criticism of Trump.

Aetna will be pulling out of the Exchanges.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Evan McMullin is a decent guy, though I know he's technically an "independent" since last year. I don't agree with most of his positions, but he's consistent and mature in his criticism of Trump.
    I think I need to start asking, "Do I respect this Republican solely because he opposes Trump? Does this person do good (not well, good) besides his or her opposition?"

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Huntsman endorsed trump?
    maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I think he gave a sort of reluctant endorsement e.g. "It's time to rally around the presumptive nominee", but now that I think about it more I think then he did say he should drop out of the race after grab em by the ***** gate.

Lucia Apologist

I'm sorry, but that still doesn't cut it. A noodledick endorsement of him is still an enabling action.

He was a known commodity even before grabgate.

lucky penguin

So the House still hasn't sent their omnishambles health care bill over to the Senate yet, and may have to re-vote on it. Yes, please. Attach as many 'yea' votes onto the GOP for this disaster as possible. https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...re-repeal-bill
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    So the House still hasn't sent their omnishambles health care bill over to the Senate yet, and may have to re-vote on it. Yes, please. Attach as many 'yea' votes onto the GOP for this disaster as possible. https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...re-repeal-bill
    That whole article is interesting (although I would like to read a smart and comprehensive account of all the procedural issues at stake). It alludes to the Congressional procedural move I most despise:

If Republican leaders hold onto the bill until the CBO report is released, then Ryan and his team could still redo it if necessary. That would require at least one more House vote of some sort.

That vote could be cloaked in some kind of arcane procedural move, but it would still be depicted as a proxy for yet another vote on the same bill -- and reluctant Republicans will once again be forced to decide whether to back it.
    If I understand, they are referring to the move where you take a bill that has moved out of committee and is scheduled for a vote, strip everything from it, literally, and copy-paste in a whole other bill. This isn't like attaching riders or the bad (good) old days of earmarks, this is gutting the turkey and pushing a duck inside it. The idea is not to obscure it but to short-circuit all the rules that allow the minority some procedural wiggle room.

99 times out of 100 this gets used to correct an actual, unplanned, bipartisan f-ck-up by Congress: like they literally don't have the time left to pass a full appropriation and the Grandma Program is going to be detached from life support in 5 hours, so they body snatch the next bill for a vote, the Cement Mixer Adjustment Act, and just shove Granny in the tauntaun carcass and pass it on voice vote.

But it's still a flagrant violation of the intent of, well, having any f-cking rules at all. Mix in partisanship and an important issue and it's a despicable tactic, whoever does it.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-18-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Is it that difficult to do a straight repeal?
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Is it that difficult to do a straight repeal?
    Nobody's trying to just do a straight repeal, but it's a good question. Theoretically you can usually just back a law out. But health care is so freaking complicated (which "no one could have known...") that there are probably lots of little and even not so little corners you have to fill with something.

But that ignores the central political problem, which is that ACA brought a lot of issues to light that had been successfully obscured before. You can't put those genii (?) back in the bottle, you have to address them in some fashion now. That's where Republicans are getting destroyed at town halls. It's not so much "save my Obamacare!", it's "now that we know about how we were getting the shaft before you can't just send us back there."

One of the main reasons the Republicans fought so hard against Obamacare was they knew that the public debate would educate people and they wouldn't be able to just go back to letting the uncovered die naked and alone. Remember: Obamacare itself was the conservative solution, allowing the medical, pharma and insurance industries to bleed the government dry. It is a plute-friendly solution, unsurprising since it was designed by the plute-thralls at Heritage. The real solution, single payer financed exclusively by taxing the ultra rich, is what they are literally willing to kill millions in order to avoid.

Because, you know, Jesus would have wanted it that way.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-19-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    genii (?)

Genii or genies is good. Or jinn.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    One of the main reasons the Republicans fought so hard against Obamacare was they knew that the public debate would educate people and they wouldn't be able to just go back to letting the uncovered die naked and alone. Remember: Obamacare itself was the conservative solution, allowing the medical, pharma and insurance industries to bleed the government dry. It is a plute-friendly solution, unsurprising since it was designed by the plute-thralls at Heritage. The real solution, single payer financed exclusively by taxing the ultra rich, is what they are literally willing to kill millions in order to avoid.
    You were doing so well until you got to this point. For all of the wanna see Sanders in the buff crowd, I can't say this enough. Obamacare is NOT conservative in any way, shape, form or function. Even if one portion of it, ironically the mandate to have coverage, was Heritage inspired that harkens back to the conservatism of 25+ years ago. Righties have gone a long way off the reservation since then.

So, to sum up: Tax hikes on the very rich isn't conservative. Restricting how much insurers can charge older people isn't conservative. Banning lifetime limits on coverage or discriminating against people with pre existing conditions is not conservative. Expanding Medicaid IS NOT CONSERVATIVE!!!!

All of these things are part of the bill, and they are all what conservatives (the modern day version, not the unicorns you see in your sleep from the 1970's) want to get rid of because its gumbint policy that actually delivered on what it said it would.

I don't have a problem with single payer although I think its something you'd have to achieve incrementally starting with a Medicare buy in for those 50+. But the problem single payer advocates have, and its a huge one, is continually trashing the ACA has the effect of doing the Republicans bidding for them. If they want it gone, and a portion of our base keeps hearing its really a conservative plan, they won't fight for it and the effect will be that the Paul Ryans of the world will win. Somehow I don't see how that helps the cause of getting to single payer if depressed Dem turnout puts Ryan, McConnell, and Trump in complete control of the government.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

So you dont know the difference between something being conservative and a politician being Conservative? Really?

The plan itself is conservative (it is a baby step towards single payer) the people who oppose it gave up being conservative long ago.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

The Dark One

So you dont know the difference between something being conservative and a politician being Conservative? Really?

The plan itself is conservative (it is a baby step towards single payer) the people who oppose it gave up being conservative long ago.
    We really need to ditch the outdated view of conservatives. Mainstream conservatism is the House Freedom Caucus. Its Judge Roy Moore in Alabama. Its Paul Ryan. Its Scott Walker and Sam Brownback. Nothing conservative would be a baby step towards single payer. True conservatism is a full scale sprint AWAY from single payer. I'm not sure why people are having such a problem understanding that.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Internet Nutcase

True conservatism is a full scale sprint AWAY from single payer.
    no, true conservatism would resist extreme movement in either direction, instead favoring a more measured approach (which, in theory, could include baby steps either towards or away from single payer)

The Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    no, true conservatism would resist extreme movement in either direction, instead favoring a more measured approach (which, in theory, could include baby steps either towards or away from single payer)
    Um, again, the true conservatism you write about has been gone for 40 years. At some point, reached long ago, we need to redefine it by the terms to describe the vast majority of people who consider themselves conservative in the here and now. Arguing that real conservatism means an incremental approach to policy is like arguing that the world is flat. Maybe people believed that a long time ago, but its been long enough now that we should all know better.

Over time a definition can and does change.

there's a good buck in that racket.

is like arguing that the world is flat. Maybe people believed that a long time ago, but its been long enough now that we should all know better..
    don't look now, but they are gaining on you!!!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information